With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Our main board to talk about our sport
Deuce Canada

Re: Tennis Random, Random

Post by Deuce »

meganfernandez wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:52 pm
mmmm8 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:56 pm But the challenge system is just a few years old itself, hardly a tradition. Yes, sometimes it's exciting but it can also be a distraction from the match. I've always found it to be more entertaining for casual fans. Sometimes I find the crowd ooohs and ahhhs annoying. I do think the challenges added an interesting psychological element to watch (how players use them), but it's not a core part of a match to me.

As long as tennis players and chair umpires are still humans, the players will throw tantrums at chair umpires, so there's your human element.

(I haven't made my mind up about no line umpires, I guess I just found the challenges presentation is a bit gimmicky.)
Hawkeye has been around for 20 years now! :) Hard to believe. It's not a tradition like handshakes (errr...) or the coin flip, but it's definitely a staple of the modern professional game. I really like it - mostly for the increased fairness, but it also lets the players move on and not dwell on what they think are bad calls. As far as the entertainment value, I like knowing whether it was in or out and finding out if I was right (based on what I saw). The big complaint originally was that it would take too much time and slow down the game. I don't think it has.

As far as a fun part of the collective spectator experience in a stadium, I don't think it adds much. But it doesn't hurt.
But with hawkeye/shotspot, you still don't know whether the ball was in or out, because it's not perfectly accurate. It's merely an estimate, based on the cameras. If even one camera isn't calibrated perfectly, you won't get a perfect result.

One of your reasons for liking hawkeye/shotspot is one of the reasons I don't like it: because players tend to 'move on' and not dwell on what they believe are bad calls. I like seeing how players react to what they feel are bad calls. It's an element that must be overcome - like the sun or the wind. I like to see how different players handle that. Those that handle it best have an advantage - just like those who handle the sun and the wind best.
It also helps to reveal the individual characters and personalities of the players on court. This was my argument against it when I had a long conversation with Gayle Bradshaw (head of officiating for the ATP) about it when hawkeye/shotspot was first introduced.

And, yes, the challenge system is mostly a gimmick, as m8 says. It's the equivalent of a fancy light show at a music concert. At a concert, the music is supposed to be the substance. That's disturbed and altered by the fancy light shows. At a tennis match, the tennis is still the main substance - but the challenge system alters the flow of the match. It's an artificial addition. It was created as a show for the fans, not to make the tennis better.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I was watching...

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

It's partly implying that he started winning once the pandemic started and no one was watching in person. Although, it also expects you to guess Djokovic won the most tournaments last year too.
:steven:
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

The author is the former NYT Magazine editor, I believe. Didn't learn very much about Rublev except the technical breakdown of his forehand force, which may or may not be correct because it's just the author's observations (he plays and has taken a lot of expensive lessons, but I still don't trust his analysis - if he interviewed knowledgeable sources, he didn't say).

"No one" refers to no/few spectators and low ratings. US Open ratings were down 45%.
ti-amie wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:18 pm

I was watching...

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I was watching too. It makes it sound like he was the fourth place finisher at the Siberian Idetarod.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:17 pm I was watching too. It makes it sound like he was the fourth place finisher at the Siberian Idetarod.
You guys don't understand magazines. :)
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Prince must be in some serious trouble.
They had already seen a decline in players using their racquets when Swiatek just left.
They have a player who wins a Major, which is rare for Prince - and they lose her just a few months later.

Swiatek is now with Technifibre - the company whose racquets she used as a child.
(If they were creative, they'd name her current racquet the 'Swiateknifibre' :D . )
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Post by meganfernandez »

Deuce wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:46 am Prince must be in some serious trouble.
They had already seen a decline in players using their racquets when Swiatek just left.
They have a player who wins a Major, which is rare for Prince - and they lose her just a few months later.

Swiatek is now with Technifibre - the company whose racquets she used as a child.
(If they were creative, they'd name her current racquet the 'Swiateknifibre' :D . )
Yeah evidently Prince couldn't afford to keep her. When I was growing up, Prince was THE racket to use... I didn't even know they still make rackets that pros use until I heard about Swiateknefibre using it.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Prince has never kept their players. They simply do not want to pay them that much.
Historically, they have let go Agassi and Sharapova. A lesser player, Ferrero, was also let go. Sole players that I can believe played their whole career with a Prince are Sabatini and now John Isner. They even let go David Ferrer after a full life of playing with their frames.
They are not in trouble. It is their M.O. Make you big, and when you are too big, they let you go.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Prince made one of the best racquets ever, in my opinion - the Magnesium Pro 90. It looked like something you find at K-Mart, with its nylon 'yoke', but it had a wonderful feel. Pat Cash won Wimbledon with it, and Cedric Pioline made the U.S. Open Final with it.
If Prince still made the Mag 90, I'd still be using it - for sure.
No amount of money could get me to change from a racquet that I love.

Wasn't Michael Chang also with Prince for all - or at least most - of his career?
Maybe Jana Novotna, too?

I remember in the mid 2000s, James Blake had just switched from Prince to Dunlop, and he made a marketing appearance in a local sports store for Dunlop. I went, and as a joke, I picked up a Prince frame with Blake's photo on it that was on a store rack, and asked the Dunlop rep if James could please sign it.
The rep panicked - as marketing reps tend to do - and said "No, no, no... he can't do that. Please put that away!"
These reps take themselves far too seriously.
R.I.P. Amal...

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

You are correct. Chang and Novotna did play all their careers with Prince.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Post by meganfernandez »

ti-amie wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:29 am
Which match?

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Osaka vs Mugu
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

The rule can be easily enforced. One tournament official sitting in the players box. Lift finger, chair umpire calls the violation.
But I agree with Shriver in that, if you are not going to enforce it, take it out. Allow the coaches to become the 3rd base coach of baseball.