With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Our main board to talk about our sport
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Deuce wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:02 am Some players complain about grass courts - and some people even want them banned, because they make up only a tiny part of the schedule, and are difficult to maintain.

I think anyone who complains about grass courts should be invited to play on this little known surface (link below).
(I'll bet that Ashkor has probably played on this surface...)

India's Dung Courts - a Whiff of Nostalgia...

Yes indeed, always found them very good, though a bit slow!

ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Cowdung is not considered dirty in India, that is the point. It is used all the time as a top layer for floors, it is used as fuel, and so on...
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ashkor87 wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:24 am Cowdung is not considered dirty in India, that is the point. It is used all the time as a top layer for floors, it is used as fuel, and so on...
Good to know that it is seen as a practical natural resource there. That puts them several steps ahead of North America, where there is certainly no shortage of bullsh!t, but we have yet to find a practical or meaningful use for it! :)
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ti-amie wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:40 am
This might be his most surprising act - continuing to play when he isn't at GOAT level (he won't be), because he truly loves it. This is when we might see the real Roger most clearly, the player behind all those achievements. He's been there the whole time, but we have, naturally and reasonably, been blinded by the golden aura. I will look forward to watching him at this stage if he really is going to compete as a mere mortal tennis player.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Although I am a bit surprised about the "my kids would like to go back to some places in the world" comment. I am sure he means nothing out of it, and he was certainly joking, but I gather that by now Roger Federer can afford a vacation with his family at Disney World. Even if he has four kids ;)
I gather back to back tournaments are over, very limited clay tournaments, and just one grass tournament a year.

About love of the game: I believe that this generation proved that galore. None of them needs to keep playing. Roger, Rafa and Nole have nothing else to prove, other than my believe that they truly wanted that MOST SLAMS title (which Roger won't have). Andy and Stan are still playing when hey also do not need to. Tsonga's farewell was sincere, showing how much the sport mattered. Another point in which we have been pampered. Other than one little thing here, another one there, this has been a generation of likeable players.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:40 pm Although I am a bit surprised about the "my kids would like to go back to some places in the world" comment. I am sure he means nothing out of it, and he was certainly joking, but I gather that by now Roger Federer can afford a vacation with his family at Disney World. Even if he has four kids ;)
I gather back to back tournaments are over, very limited clay tournaments, and just one grass tournament a year.

About love of the game: I believe that this generation proved that galore. None of them needs to keep playing. Roger, Rafa and Nole have nothing else to prove, other than my believe that they truly wanted that MOST SLAMS title (which Roger won't have). Andy and Stan are still playing when hey also do not need to. Tsonga's farewell was sincere, showing how much the sport mattered. Another point in which we have been pampered. Other than one little thing here, another one there, this has been a generation of likeable players.
I think he means it about the kids, in context of what continuing to play means for them. He said once, years ago, that the moment his family wants to stay in one place, he would call it quits, no problem. I always thought they might want to eventually go to one school year-round with their friends, but who knows. Evidently they are still happy with his playing lifestyle, and their happiness on the road with him is a big factor.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

ti-amie wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:54 pm
That's an impressive stat. RG used to produce a lot of random winners, but is it perhaps now USO instead?
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

When put in proper context, the only real surprise here to me is Medvedev... and even that is not shocking, given the U.S. Open was less than 1 year ago.

I don't think any knowledgeable tennis fan really expected Raducanu to win another tournament in the past 9 months (although we did certainly expect her to actually participate more and retire/withdraw less... and to not lose in the 1st or 2nd round as often as she has on the rare occasions that she's played).

As for Thiem and Andreescu - they've both been injured for lengthy periods... and a lot of time was lost and several tournaments not played (and others bounced around the schedule) due to COVID-19.

So... again, context is imperative here. It's not as if all of them have been healthy and that there's been a full normal schedule played since they all won their Majors.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Suliso wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:43 am
That's an impressive stat. RG used to produce a lot of random winners, but is it perhaps now USO instead?
Andreescu, Thiem and Emma have been so frequently injured that it becomes the explanation. But it is indeed a bit odd.
However, the 2019 men's champion (Rafa) and the 2020 women's champion (Naomi) have done well.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Monica Puig has announced her retirement. Too many injuries.
I hope she will remain with ESPN. She is a complete change from the rest of the team.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

(Must remember to add words to post...)

R.I.P. Amal...