'22 Wimbledon Day 3 OoP & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
jazzyg United States of America

Re: '22 Wimbledon Day 3 OoP & Discussion

Post by jazzyg »

Saw a great interview with Catherine Harrison on one of the DirecTV channels yesterday.

She was an alternate into qualifying and did not even know she would get in. Earlier this year she wss the top alternate who did not get into qualifying at the Aussie Open. She almost had to quit tennis during the COVID year when tournaments shut down, and that was the only year her ranking would have been high enough for direct entry into qualifying for slams.

She attended UCLA for four years and graduated. Winning her first round was a career-changing moment because of the money, and it came after she let a 5-2 second-set lead with a match point dissolve into a 6-5 deficit in the last round of qualifying. She said finishing off that match in a tiebreak was the most pressure she ever felt.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

jazzyg wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:08 pm Saw a great interview with Catherine Harrison on one of the DirecTV channels yesterday.

She was an alternate into qualifying and did not even know she would get in. Earlier this year she wss the top alternate who did not get into qualifying at the Aussie Open. She almost had to quit tennis during the COVID year when tournaments shut down, and that was the only year her ranking would have been high enough for direct entry into qualifying for slams.

She attended UCLA for four years and graduated. Winning her first round was a career-changing moment because of the money, and it came after she let a 5-2 second-set lead with a match point dissolve into a 6-5 deficit in the last round of qualifying. She said finishing off that match in a tiebreak was the most pressure she ever felt.
Wow, what a story. I feel like there are so many stories like this in tennis and we don't hear them. Only so many reporters getting so many leads.

Also, drama! How ironic would it be if Wimbledon allowed late substitutions and Serena could step in and play with Korpatsch? :D

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Monica Puig just made an excellent point about Raducanu's points to defend. I guess we forgot this: not only she is defending 2000 points at the USO, she is defending more because she earned points from the qualifying. Talk about a pressure position.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Cuckoo4Coco United States of America

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

meganfernandez wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:13 pm
jazzyg wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:08 pm Saw a great interview with Catherine Harrison on one of the DirecTV channels yesterday.

Wow, what a story. I feel like there are so many stories like this in tennis and we don't hear them. Only so many reporters getting so many leads.

Also, drama! How ironic would it be if Wimbledon allowed late substitutions and Serena could step in and play with Korpatsch? :D

It doesn't seem fair. I know that Tan played a tough long match the day before and she is saying she has a thigh injury but I know that thigh injury is not going to keep her out of her singles match tomorrow.

Her doubles partner is now done without even playing a single doubles match at all. Don't seem at all fair to her.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

More about Mugu. The second set was, of course, 6-0. But it lasted 19 minutes. There has got to be something wrong with her, and she is not telling.

Post by meganfernandez »

Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:19 pm Also, drama! How ironic would it be if Wimbledon allowed late substitutions and Serena could step in and play with Korpatsch? :D

It doesn't seem fair. I know that Tan played a tough long match the day before and she is saying she has a thigh injury but I know that thigh injury is not going to keep her out of her singles match tomorrow.

Her doubles partner is now done without even playing a single doubles match at all. Don't seem at all fair to her.
[/quote]

It's unfortunate for sure. They know this is the risk. Korpatsch has to ask herself if she would do the same thing in the situation. I wish tournaments could let a player find another partner if theirs pulls out before they play their R1 match. Maybe Tan should give Korpatsch $5,000 of her R2 prize money for the inconvenience. Well, we can safely say these two won't partner together anymore!

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

meganfernandez wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:23 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:19 pm Also, drama! How ironic would it be if Wimbledon allowed late substitutions and Serena could step in and play with Korpatsch? :D

It's unfortunate for sure. They know this is the risk. Korpatsch has to ask herself if she would do the same thing in the situation. I wish tournaments could let a player find another partner if theirs pulls out before they play their R1 match. Maybe Tan should give Korpatsch $5,000 of her R2 prize money for the inconvenience. Well, we can safely say these two won't partner together anymore!
[/quote]
That would be nice if Tan would do that. It would lend some Harmony to the whole situation. :lol:

I am heading out to the courts to practice now.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Suliso wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:01 pm Muguruza destroyed by Minnen. Not particularly surprised about the outcome, only about the scoreline (6-4, 6-0)
Don't think the outcome would've been different this time around, but the score would've been had they kept playing yesterday. There have been several held over matches that didn't have the same energy they did as the first day now.

Long past time to add lights to these courts and let them finish out most of these end of day matches the day that they begin.

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:21 pm More about Mugu. The second set was, of course, 6-0. But it lasted 19 minutes. There has got to be something wrong with her, and she is not telling.
Physically, maybe - long Covid, something else, who knows. You don't think it's just lack of motivation? I never hear good explanations, either. Maybe the Spanish press has some, but I never hear them.

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:15 pm Monica Puig just made an excellent point about Raducanu's points to defend. I guess we forgot this: not only she is defending 2000 points at the USO, she is defending more because she earned points from the qualifying. Talk about a pressure position.
Listening to Brits call Emma's match is interesting. Today's team is much, much better and more reasonable than her first match at least, but interesting nonetheless.

Post by JazzNU »

Caroline Garcia played a great match. It's really nice to see her return to form, truly seems to be about finally dumping the weight from all that baggage she was carrying around. Hopefully Camila Giorgi is the next in line getting rid of hers.
Last edited by JazzNU on Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

meganfernandez wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:32 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:21 pm More about Mugu. The second set was, of course, 6-0. But it lasted 19 minutes. There has got to be something wrong with her, and she is not telling.
Physically, maybe - long Covid, something else, who knows. You don't think it's just lack of motivation? I never hear good explanations, either. Maybe the Spanish press has some, but I never hear them.
I don't think it is lack of motivation because the handshake at the net showed a face that was really upset about the result. And I know she has traditionally gone into a bit of a funk after her big wins (Guadalajara last year) but this is not a little, this has been a lot.
I hope there is an explanation, not that she has forgotten how to play this game.

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:52 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:32 pm
I don't think it is lack of motivation because the handshake at the net showed a face that was really upset about the result. And I know she has traditionally gone into a bit of a funk after her big wins (Guadalajara last year) but this is not a little, this has been a lot.
I hope there is an explanation, not that she has forgotten how to play this game.
I'm afraid we'll never know. Mystifying. But sounds like she's in the perfect career low from which to win another surprise major. :)

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

Hey Tommy Paul won!!!!!! :yahoo: :freaking: :bananas:

On a sad note though Emma lost. :(
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Suliso wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:01 pm Muguruza destroyed by Minnen. Not particularly surprised about the outcome, only about the scoreline (6-4, 6-0)

I think she needs a break to sort out whatever is going on in her life.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein