ATP WTA Wimbledon GS 6/27/22 - 7/10/22

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
Deuce Canada

Re: ATP WTA Wimbledon GS 6/27/22 - 7/10/22

Post by Deuce »

Is Patrick Mouratoglou telling Halep to yell/grunt when she hits the ball?
It seems to me that she is doing this significantly more than she used to.
At least it's not a loud, ear-piercing noise like we hear from some others.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Cuckoo4Coco United States of America

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

Deuce wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:41 am Is Patrick Mouratoglou telling Halep to yell/grunt when she hits the ball?
Being someone who grunts when I play my shots, I thought that just came naturally. I would have never thought that it could be something that a coach could tell you to do as a strategy or something like that.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:27 pm
Deuce wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:41 am Is Patrick Mouratoglou telling Halep to yell/grunt when she hits the ball?
Being someone who grunts when I play my shots, I thought that just came naturally. I would have never thought that it could be something that a coach could tell you to do as a strategy or something like that.
It's amazing that it never 'came naturally' to anyone before Seles, huh?
It is definitely a learned behaviour - if you had never seen pro players grunting, I'll bet that you wouldn't grunt, either.

And, yes, it is also encouraged, and even taught, by some coaches - sometimes as a strategy to disrupt the opponent, and sometimes as a way to 'stabilize' one's energy, or increase power, etc. - all of which I personally think is full of dung.
R.I.P. Amal...

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

Deuce wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:40 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:27 pm
It's amazing that it never 'came naturally' to anyone before Seles, huh?
It is definitely a learned behaviour - if you had never seen pro players grunting, I'll bet that you wouldn't grunt, either.

And, yes, it is also encouraged, and even taught, by some coaches - sometimes as a strategy to disrupt the opponent, and sometimes as a way to 'stabilize' one's energy, or increase power, etc. - all of which I personally think is full of dung.
I guess you are right. I always feel that I do it because I am increasing my energy or power. Not really sure if the shot is actually going any faster or not and it probably isn't, but the grunting does give me energy though. You're right though if I wouldn't have seen any of the female pro tennis players doing it growing up that I look up to , I probably wouldn't be doing it.

Totally different thing but I also like Bianca Andreescu and when I saw she wore that plastic thing around her arm I thought that was so cool. I was like I need to do something like that. I haven't found my weird thing yet, but definitely the pro tennis players influence me a lot. Thankfully not Nick Kyrgios. :lol:
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:56 pm ...

Totally different thing but I also like Bianca Andreescu and when I saw she wore that plastic thing around her arm I thought that was so cool. I was like I need to do something like that. I haven't found my weird thing yet, but definitely the pro tennis players influence me a lot. Thankfully not Nick Kyrgios. :lol:
Which would earn you a ban, here ;)
Exhaling (not grunting) as you hit your stroke relaxes you, leading to a more fluid stroke. That leads to more control and an easier swing. Watch sprinters, in slow motion. They time their breathing so the exhaling is in rhythm with their strides. A hard thing to do, that allows them to stride faster.
It took me years to learn to exhale when serving, allowing me to be more relaxed and gain some more speed on my serve. So, proper breathing while playing is very important.
Grunting is when it starts crossing that line to me. I remember watching the Aussie final between Azarenka and Sharapova, in MUTE. Could not deal with the screaming. And, as it was played on a Super BOWL weekend, I dubbed my poll "The Super HOWL" match. Some people thought it was a typo :D (or, were too polite to point out my dumb sense of humor).
But, if you grunt, you grunt, and if it is controlled, no issues.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:44 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:56 pm ...

Which would earn you a ban, here ;)
Exhaling (not grunting) as you hit your stroke relaxes you, leading to a more fluid stroke. That leads to more control and an easier swing. Watch sprinters, in slow motion. They time their breathing so the exhaling is in rhythm with their strides. A hard thing to do, that allows them to stride faster.
It took me years to learn to exhale when serving, allowing me to be more relaxed and gain some more speed on my serve. So, proper breathing while playing is very important.
Grunting is when it starts crossing that line to me. I remember watching the Aussie final between Azarenka and Sharapova, in MUTE. Could not deal with the screaming. And, as it was played on a Super BOWL weekend, I dubbed my poll "The Super HOWL" match. Some people thought it was a typo :D (or, were too polite to point out my dumb sense of humor).
But, if you grunt, you grunt, and if it is controlled, no issues.
I really don't find that my grunts are obnoxious and really loud. I have never had any complaining from my opponents and I have played other girls who grunt louder than me.

I will have to concentrate on my breathing. I sometimes because I do use my speed and run down shots a lot expend a lot of my energy on the court that way. I definitely need to focus on my breathing more.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:52 pm ...

I will have to concentrate on my breathing. I sometimes because I do use my speed and run down shots a lot expend a lot of my energy on the court that way. I definitely need to focus on my breathing more.
Remember we were talking about goals? That would be a short term goal. Ensure that your breathing during a match is proper. :thumbsup:

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:10 pm

Remember we were talking about goals? That would be a short term goal. Ensure that your breathing during a match is proper. :thumbsup:
That would be a really good one.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:17 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:10 pm

That would be a really good one.
I'm going to exhale on my serve tonight and see what happens. Playing a league match. I envision sending them all into the back tarp.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Exhale AS you are serving, so that the motion of your arm is in sync with your breathe going out.

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:24 pm Exhale AS you are serving, so that the motion of your arm is in sync with your breathe going out.
I just got back from practice and I was doing it and I must have always been doing it because my serve really didn't change that much. I guess today I was just thinking about the breathing more than I was before.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Well, it is not a miracle pill, and yes, maybe you were already doing it. But some people don't realize they are holding their breath when they strike the ball. Those need a little bit of a tip.

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:57 pm Well, it is not a miracle pill, and yes, maybe you were already doing it. But some people don't realize they are holding their breath when they strike the ball. Those need a little bit of a tip.
I am almost certain I was not holding my breath when I was hitting the ball. I don't think I could grunt if I was holding my breath. :lol: Also my coach would have had me stop that pretty quickly if I was.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Allow me the horrible metaphor: if you are holding your breath when you hit the ball and there's still a grunting sound, your problems are digestive :D