With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Our main board to talk about our sport
Cuckoo4Coco United States of America

Re: Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

Well I guess I am more new school. I want each point to be correct and the electronic system is the best way to determine that. I don't want to put in 110% effort in an over 2 hour match and have a lines person determine the match by making a call that could be either correct or wrong. I just want it to be correct.

In most of the matches I play it is the honesty system between the two players as there are rarely lines people or a chair umpire.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

The Hall of Fame..what do people here think of it? It is such a peculiarly American concept, I wonder how many people outside the US know or care about it? I know for sure nobody here, where I now live, have any clue what it is..nor do they care.. sometimes I wonder if it just an American vanity, like a team from Detroit playing a team from Chicago and calling it the World Series! It always made us laugh...
Maybe it is something that will grow in significance as more people get it. They do honor global candidates, that is a start..
Let us see in a few decades!
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

If there is to be a HOF of global significance, why would it be in Newport, RI or anywhere in the US? Unlike cricket and golf, there is no natural 'home' for tennis- the game was almost certainly invented in France but I don't see the French taking any pride or ownership..strange..
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

ashkor87 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:26 am If there is to be a HOF of global significance, why would it be in Newport, RI or anywhere in the US? Unlike cricket and golf, there is no natural 'home' for tennis- the game was almost certainly invented in France but I don't see the French taking any pride or ownership..strange..
The tennis grounds in Newport where it is held is the first site of the US Open. The US Open began there in 1881, just 4 years after Wimbledon began, Wimbledon being the oldest Major. I think it's a somewhat appropriate location. The museum there is really great.

Having spent some time over the years at the inductions, I wish it were a bigger deal. Would love to have more formal recognition for the tennis legends and legendary contributors.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Good to know that. But that still makes it only the home of US tennis..tennis is the most global of sports ...the US is not its centre, if it ever was ..but, as I said, the very concept of a Hall of Fame is a peculiarly American concept. ..how many sports have it? There is no football Hall of Fame, no cricket Hall of Fame..that I am aware of, anyway..in fact the very word Fame! So I see it as an American concept not likely to take hold in a global world..
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ashkor87 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:26 am If there is to be a HOF of global significance, why would it be in Newport, RI or anywhere in the US? Unlike cricket and golf, there is no natural 'home' for tennis- the game was almost certainly invented in France but I don't see the French taking any pride or ownership..strange..
Roland Garros has a lovely tennis museum. I like it the HOF at Newport. Doesn't really matter where it is - almost anywhere is a bit arbitrary other than Wimbledon, since it's the most famous tournament. Since the US Open started at Newport, as M8 said, it makes sense. I'm just glad someone is interested in running one so we have one! :) I don't think I'll go out of my way to go it, though. They would have to have a really cool special exhibit or event or some cool interactive technology. I'm not interested in old rackets inside cases. I can see those in Indianapolis, at the USTA Midwest office.

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ashkor87 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:35 pm Good to know that. But that still makes it only the home of US tennis..tennis is the most global of sports ...the US is not its centre, if it ever was ..but, as I said, the very concept of a Hall of Fame is a peculiarly American concept. ..how many sports have it? There is no football Hall of Fame, no cricket Hall of Fame..that I am aware of, anyway..in fact the very word Fame! So I see it as an American concept not likely to take hold in a global world..
I disagree that Tennis is the most global of sports as I think that has to go to Soccer/Futbol/Football, but that is beside the point. I have never been to Newport and the HOF and hope to get there sometime soon, but I don't think the Museum only represents US Tennis at all. It represents the game of tennis. The international game of tennis. Watching this tournament that is going on now, I do see that the grounds are very nice and even though the grass courts are not like the Wimbledon grass courts they also seem very nice as well.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

ashkor87 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:35 pm Good to know that. But that still makes it only the home of US tennis..tennis is the most global of sports ...the US is not its centre, if it ever was ..but, as I said, the very concept of a Hall of Fame is a peculiarly American concept. ..how many sports have it? There is no football Hall of Fame, no cricket Hall of Fame..that I am aware of, anyway..in fact the very word Fame! So I see it as an American concept not likely to take hold in a global world..
There are many HOF.
There is a football (Soccer) HOF. It is in Murcia, Spain.
Spain has a global HOF for sports, for Spanish people.
Other HOF: Automotive, Swimming, Athletics.
England and Canada have HOF for their own. Argentina too.

Yes, it started as an American concept, but other countries and sports got in. And despite the fact that the sport was not invented in the USA, as M8 says, the USO is the second oldest tournament in history (Trivia piece: Canada's Open, now the tournaments in Toronto and Montreal, are the third, beating RG) and the USA was the dominant country in the sport for a considerable time.

About baseball's "World Series". Yes, that is kind of silly. There have been people saying that the winner of the USA WS should, at the very least, play the winner of the Japanese Championships. But the logistics would be a nightmare. Just imagine the jet lag.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:13 pm
There are many HOF.

Yes, it started as an American concept, but other countries and sports got in. And despite the fact that the sport was not invented in the USA, as M8 says, the USO is the second oldest tournament in history (Trivia piece: Canada's Open, now the tournaments in Toronto and Montreal, are the third, beating RG) and the USA was the dominant country in the sport for a considerable time.

About baseball's "World Series". Yes, that is kind of silly. There have been people saying that the winner of the USA WS should, at the very least, play the winner of the Japanese Championships. But the logistics would be a nightmare. Just imagine the jet lag.
Just look at the NFL football games that they have every year in Europe and the teams gripe about that. I can't imagine the NFL even thinking about proposing a game in Japan or Australia. It just wouldn't work.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

There are many HOF.

A few years ago a playoff of some kind between the winner of the US WS, Japan, Cuba and other countries in Latin America would've been awesome. Now so many Cuban players and increasingly Japanese players as well as players from other Spanish speaking countries are playing for US teams I wonder how it would/could work.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ti-amie wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:40 pm
There are many HOF.

A few years ago a playoff of some kind between the winner of the US WS, Japan, Cuba and other countries in Latin America would've been awesome. Now so many Cuban players and increasingly Japanese players as well as players from other Spanish speaking countries are playing for US teams I wonder how it would/could work.
Isn't that what the Olympics are for or are we just talking about professional players competing against one another?
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

It was called The World Championships. About 12 countries participated, but it never caught on.
You could have a real World Series in BBall. The Japanese can play. The Koreans too. Let Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic field a full team, and Venezuela could be in the mix.
Sure, call it the World Series. We know it is not :P

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:08 pm It was called The World Championships. About 12 countries participated, but it never caught on.
You could have a real World Series in BBall. The Japanese can play. The Koreans too. Let Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic field a full team, and Venezuela could be in the mix.
Sure, call it the World Series. We know it is not :P
So any Major League Professional Baseball Player could represent their country in it?
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Venezuela usually has about 50+ players in the MLB. PR and DR too.
Japan has sent many, many players. The greatest hitter in BB (to me) was Japanese: Ishiro was something to behold.
So, sure. Why not? Have the very best represent their country. DR has enough firepower to challenge anybody. Japan too.
As we are totally off topic: wanna fix the lame NBS All Star game? Make it USA Vs the World. See how competitive that gets IN A HEARTBEAT.

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:19 pm Venezuela usually has about 50+ players in the MLB. PR and DR too.
Japan has sent many, many players. The greatest hitter in BB (to me) was Japanese: Ishiro was something to behold.
So, sure. Why not? Have the very best represent their country. DR has enough firepower to challenge anybody. Japan too.
As we are totally off topic: wanna fix the lame NBS All Star game? Make it USA Vs the World. See how competitive that gets IN A HEARTBEAT.
There is a player from Japan in the Major Leagues right now on the Angels named Shotei Ohtani who is considered a Pitcher but can also hit really well and plays I think designated hitter when he is not Pitching. He is really good. I would think Japan, DR, and the United States would really dominate something like this.