With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Our main board to talk about our sport
Cuckoo4Coco United States of America

Re: Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:23 pm Remember a few days ago I told a story about a Tik-Toker being detained at the airport the last time I came back from there to Bogota (where I live). I would not publish anything about Vennieland under my real name. I am totally non-important in Venezuela but they would not care.
I have to go back next week because I have to renew my passport (Venezuela closed its embassy in Colombia, its largest, neighboring country) and I am already freaking out. Yeah, sure, I am a paranoid, but I have been right so many times...
I don't know your full situation and you probably have family in Venezuela which makes just getting out impossible, but have you ever thought about doing just that? I can't even imagine living in an environment like that as I have never had to experience anything like that at all. I think it would be really scary even for an adult.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I live outside Venezuela. I live in Colombia. My sister and mom still live there because my sister refuses to leave.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:30 pm I live outside Venezuela. I live in Colombia. My sister and mom still live there because my sister refuses to leave.
That must still be really tough on you.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Here's a little 15 minute thing that touches on Leylah's family and what they did for her tennis. They moved from Montreal to Florida mostly due to full year access to free public courts. Sold their car. Etc.
This admittedly just scratches the surface - but it's consistent with the discussion above.

This was done when Leylah was 16 years old (at the beginning of 2019). long before the tennis world knew her. She was slightly known in the Junior circles at the time. Her sister Bianca is about a year younger.

It's done mostly in French, with some bits in English - but you can set the subtitles to English (click on the little gear icon, then click on 'auto-translate', and select English - or whatever language you like).

R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

Fastbackss wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:57 pm Roddick was just on the Kasich/Klepper podcast. He was asked about the notion of tennis being expensive. He bristled at it and said some combination of everything you all mentioned. He gave lots of examples of where it wasn't because of money. He talked about the drive + dedication required to keep pushing when there are other financial obstacles in the way.
He also talked about the importance of having someone there to help see/guide through and keep on track

Didn't know that was a thing!

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

Deuce wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:42 am Here's a little 15 minute thing that touches on Leylah's family and what they did for her tennis. They moved from Montreal to Florida mostly due to full year access to free public courts. Sold their car. Etc.
This admittedly just scratches the surface - but it's consistent with the discussion above.

This was done when Leylah was 16 years old (at the beginning of 2019). long before the tennis world knew her. She was slightly known in the Junior circles at the time. Her sister Bianca is about a year younger.

It's done mostly in French, with some bits in English - but you can set the subtitles to English (click on the little gear icon, then click on 'auto-translate', and select English - or whatever language you like).

It is a sacrifice for the family and I know I am on a totally different level than what Leylah is one, but without my grandparents, my mom & dad(when he was still living) and even the dedication of my coaches I wouldn't be able to do nearly as much as I do. Sure I could still go out on the courts and play tennis and probably do really well at it, but without the sacrifices of the people I mentioned above it would definitely be a lot harder.

The people I also mentioned do a lot more for me than just the financial stuff that goes along with this game. They keep me on the right track. They keep my head on straight. They keep the game what it is supposed to be and that is fun. They also know when I need to be a kid and be away from it all. These people I have mentioned have kept the love of the game in my heart since I picked up a racquet when I was 5 years old.

I bet you that is exactly what Leylah would say about her parents and the other people who have helped her along the way. Sure the financial sacrifices are huge, but there is so much more that these people do.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Yes, Leylah often mentions the family support. Family is big for them. They have no trophies or even tennis photos in their house - it's about family before tennis.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

Deuce wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:30 pm Yes, Leylah often mentions the family support. Family is big for them. They have no trophies or even tennis photos in their house - it's about family before tennis.
That is the way it should be. Ya know there will come a time when tennis at least the way I play it now will be over for me. There will never come a time when my family will never support & love me.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Andrea Petkovic explains difference in playing Serena Williams, Naomi Osaka https://www.tennisworldusa.org/tennis/n ... omi-osaka/
An interesting take by Petkovic, one of the most thoughtful players out there .

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ashkor87 wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:26 am Andrea Petkovic explains difference in playing Serena Williams, Naomi Osaka https://www.tennisworldusa.org/tennis/n ... omi-osaka/
An interesting take by Petkovic, one of the most thoughtful players out there .
That is a very good view on playing Serena and Naomi. I would have thought just like the article says that playing Serena would be like you are getting just over powered off the court all the time, but it is true when she is on her game she does so much more. When I watch Naomi play and she is on her game she is like an artist a powerful artist that controls every stroke it seems.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I forget who was the player that said that the difference between Roger, Rafa and Novak was that, against Rafa and Novak, you felt you were playing. Against Roger, "he does not let you play".
Sampras was the same. Vince Spadea said that against Agassi, you were playing. He was running you ragged, but you were playing. Against Pete, you felt you were not touching the ball.

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ponchi101 wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:21 pm I forget who was the player that said that the difference between Roger, Rafa and Novak was that, against Rafa and Novak, you felt you were playing. Against Roger, "he does not let you play".
Sampras was the same. Vince Spadea said that against Agassi, you were playing. He was running you ragged, but you were playing. Against Pete, you felt you were not touching the ball.
I do hope that Roger can come back and be that player that he was and challenge Novak & Rafa and now Medvedev and the other younger ones. I don't know if that is going to happen, but I hope it does. Maybe one or two more runs at Wimbledon for Roger would be nice. It would be sweet if he could win 10 Wimbledon titles. Don't think it is going to happen, but it would be awesome.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

There’s a brand-new Challenger in Indianapolis this week and Tim van Rijthoven is playing! I’m volunteering a few nights. Hope I get to see him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Pictures, please. Pictures. And let us know about the guy.