With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Our main board to talk about our sport
Cuckoo4Coco United States of America

Re: Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

meganfernandez wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:35 am There’s a brand-new Challenger in Indianapolis this week and Tim van Rijthoven is playing! I’m volunteering a few nights. Hope I get to see him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maybe he will call you onto the court to practice hit with him. :D
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

ponchi101 wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:21 pm I forget who was the player that said that the difference between Roger, Rafa and Novak was that, against Rafa and Novak, you felt you were playing. Against Roger, "he does not let you play".
Sampras was the same. Vince Spadea said that against Agassi, you were playing. He was running you ragged, but you were playing. Against Pete, you felt you were not touching the ball.
Ashe used to say of McEnroe that it was death by a thousand cuts...
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ti-amie wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:01 am
I didn't watch the match and couldn't hear what they were saying, but they were both pretty animated about whatever it was. It looked like some sort of service call from what they were looking on the court at.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

You could put together a rather long highlight reel of these with Fabio.

On a separate note, the chair umpire did basically nothing. Was this because, as a woman, she was intimidated by the male argument? Or was it because, as a woman, she found it ridiculous and was employing all of her energy to keep from laughing at these clowns? :D

Someone should have told them they must stop this juvenile nonsense, and continue it in the locker room if they choose to. But this should not be tolerated on the court at any time.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

At first I read "petty", likely would have worked as well.
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

Seems fatherhood's really mellowed Fognini out (not joking)

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

Deuce wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:34 am You could put together a rather long highlight reel of these with Fabio.

On a separate note, the chair umpire did basically nothing. Was this because, as a woman, she was intimidated by the male argument? Or was it because, as a woman, she found it ridiculous and was employing all of her energy to keep from laughing at these clowns? :D

Someone should have told them they must stop this juvenile nonsense, and continue it in the locker room if they choose to. But this should not be tolerated on the court at any time.
Not really sure if the chair umpire was intimidated, but if it would have gotten even more stupid and became physically I doubt she would have been able to do anything about it.

It should have been dealt with in the locker room for sure, but some seem to get all stirred up in the heat of the moment and can't control themselves.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I know that there was a discussion of tennis gear here but I can't find it. If this would fit better there please move this post.

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Nah, it's fine here.
3 Grams, at the speed he swings the racquet... I don't have enough of the physics needed to figure out how much more kinetic energy that would generate.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:37 pm Nah, it's fine here.
3 Grams, at the speed he swings the racquet... I don't have enough of the physics needed to figure out how much more kinetic energy that would generate.
Not sure how much power 3 Grams at the speed that Rafa swings the racquet would generate more power than he already generates. That is like adding power onto power.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

You are preparing for a tournament, so DON'T DO THIS IN THE NEXT WEEKS.
Take some lead tape. It comes measured in grams, so you can cut it to the length/weight you want. Add it to the tip of your racquet, and see how 3 grams will change the feel and power. It is the fastest way to increase depth and power on a shot. And buy a few tickets for a really painful tennis elbow.

I did the math. 3 grams, at the tip of the racquet, assuming a racquet head speed of 75MPH, equals 1.7 Joules. Added to the already huge mass of the head. That is a lot.

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:45 pm You are preparing for a tournament, so DON'T DO THIS IN THE NEXT WEEKS.
Take some lead tape. It comes measured in grams, so you can cut it to the length/weight you want. Add it to the tip of your racquet, and see how 3 grams will change the feel and power. It is the fastest way to increase depth and power on a shot. And buy a few tickets for a really painful tennis elbow.

I did the math. 3 grams, at the tip of the racquet, assuming a racquet head speed of 75MPH, equals 1.7 Joules. Added to the already huge mass of the head. That is a lot.
Rafa definitely has more strength in his shots then I do whether he would be playing with the lead tape or not. I think if I even suggested to my coach to do something like that he would go into a 30 minute rant on how especially at my age it could ruin my elbow and arm. Just like you said it would be a one way ticket for some serious elbow pain which I really don't need.

I guess I work on my strength and ultimately more power in my shots the more conventional way with light weights and resistant training and that seems to work pretty well for me.
Fastbackss United States of America

Post by Fastbackss »

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

:clap: :rofl: :rofl: