With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Our main board to talk about our sport
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Post by ponchi101 »

Ooooh, but the difference was that Connors was a top player. Brooksby is anything but. And with that game, being a hated player will get you in trouble more than out.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Cuckoo4Coco United States of America

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:15 pm Ooooh, but the difference was that Connors was a top player. Brooksby is anything but. And with that game, being a hated player will get you in trouble more than out.
I didn't quite understand what the heck Jenson Brooksby was doing at the end of the match with Frances Tiafoe. Frances is one of the most well respected and liked players on the tour and that little dance at the end of the match did not sit too well with Frances. I also don't think that Frances liked very much during one point late in the match when Brooksby let out a very loud squeal or yell during the point. Even the commentators said it could have been a disruption during the point. You never see Frances barely give a hand shake at the end of the match , so he was not very pleased with Jenson.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
meganfernandez United States of America

Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Post by meganfernandez »

Cuckoo4Coco wrote:
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:15 pm Ooooh, but the difference was that Connors was a top player. Brooksby is anything but. And with that game, being a hated player will get you in trouble more than out.
I didn't quite understand what the heck Jenson Brooksby was doing at the end of the match with Frances Tiafoe. Frances is one of the most well respected and liked players on the tour and that little dance at the end of the match did not sit too well with Frances. I also don't think that Frances liked very much during one point late in the match when Brooksby let out a very loud squeal or yell during the point. Even the commentators said it could have been a disruption during the point. You never see Frances barely give a hand shake at the end of the match , so he was not very pleased with Jenson.
After match point, Brooksby did the Lebron Stomp, Lebron’s famous power move. Which is also Tiafoe’s signature celebration - he has borrowed it. So Brooksby was sort of mocking Tiafoe by celebrating beating him with his own move. Bush league.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote:Ooooh, but the difference was that Connors was a top player. Brooksby is anything but. And with that game, being a hated player will get you in trouble more than out.
Yeah not sure Brooksby has the goods to pull this off.

Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Lots of people here criticizing Brooksby... but how many of you know the backstory?
Maybe he and Tiafoe had an argument about something sometime before the match. Maybe Tiafoe did something he shouldn't have done that upset Brooksby.
Or maybe Brooksby is just a spoiled idiot.

The fact is that NONE of us know what precipitated that reaction from Brooksby, if anything. Therefore, none of us are in a position to assess the situation properly.

I'm sure that 95% of those everywhere who are criticizing Brooksby also like to claim that they're 'non-judgmental'.
Yeah, sure...
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

If we could only talk about stuff when we knew the backstory... we'd have no posts at all here. ;) I'm sure you don't know the backstory for every single comment you make too :) Two pages ago you were speculating on why a female chair umpire behaved the way she did... but I bet you don't know her backstory.
:steven:

Post by meganfernandez »

ptmcmahon wrote:If we could only talk about stuff when we knew the backstory... we'd have no posts at all here. ;) I'm sure you don't know the backstory for every single comment you make too :) Two pages ago you were speculating on why a female chair umpire behaved the way she did... but I bet you don't know her backstory.
Don’t get me started on WTA retirements. :)

Benefit of the doubt is usually the hill I die on. But in this case, it came from a tennis insider (who I trust) and there probably isn’t more to it than what we see. There could be, and I’m not condemning the guy, but we can use good judgment here. Most likely, it was a jerk move. Opinions can change as needed.

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

meganfernandez wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:27 am
Cuckoo4Coco wrote:
After match point, Brooksby did the Lebron Stomp, Lebron’s famous power move. Which is also Tiafoe’s signature celebration - he has borrowed it. So Brooksby was sort of mocking Tiafoe by celebrating beating him with his own move. Bush league.

I thought it was the same thing, but really wasn't paying much attention as I was pretty pissed that Tiafoe lost the match. That is really (bad language) of him for doing that.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Happy to welcome Elizabeth Mandlik, daughter of the great Hana Mandlikova, to the circuit! Mandlikova is one of my all-time favorites...
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Just sorry she beat Alison Riske, daughter-in- law of India, on her debut but what the heck, welcome anyway !!

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

Until I just read these few posts about Elizabeth Mandlik and seeing that she defeated Alison Riske 6-3, 6-3 last evening in San Jose, I had no idea who she was. I also had to look up Hana Manlikova who you all said had a great career, because I had no idea who she was either. Yes, she did have a tremendous career and retired 16 years before I was born. That is the entire time I have been alive on this earth she has been retired from tennis. WOW. Her kid is now on the pro tour and that is pretty awesome.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Mandlikova simply had the bad luck of playing in the Navs/Evert era. She was the clear #3 and, as I said before, her FH volley was an outstanding shot, as was her entire game. if you want to teach somebody proper biomechanics on all strokes, but in the classical form (and you would not want to do that today), Mandlikova would be the perfect model (together with Navs). Technique wise, she was at the same level as Leconte.

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

Ya know since joining this forum, I have learned about several players were way before my time and I think that is really cool. Of course I already knew of the really big names like Bille Jean King, Navratilova, Evert, McEnroe,Connors, Sampras, Agassi, and Graf, but my time really started when I was really little Venus & Serena Williams and than Simona Halep, Naomi Osaka, Ash Barty and now Coco Gauff who is my generation.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

It happened to all of us. And, on the flip side, you will be able to see a lot of players that will be the great ones of their era, and that we will not be there to enjoy.