'22 WTA ATP GS USOpen 8/29 - 9/11

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
JazzNU United States of America

Re: '22 WTA ATP GS USOpen 8/29 - 9/11

Post by JazzNU »

JTContinental wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:50 pm
Garcia and Pera are my "peaked too early" picks for the USO
Disagree on Garcia. Now that she's dropped that baggage (her father) and has a real team behind her, I think sky's the limit as it once was for her. In the past, she'd be playing this week and she was scheduled to yet again, so thank goodness she had the deep run to derail that awful planning.

As for Pera, if it isn't a clay court, I have no faith.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:02 pm
JazzNU wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:39 pm ...

Sakkari has talked about struggling with being highly ranked and a favorite and how she let it affect her mindset versus being the underdog. But she's been playing better the last couple of weeks, I just don't think many have noticed. Played Garcia very close in Cincy for instance before Caroline pulled away in the 3rd, but few seem to have realized this. For whatever reason, I've always felt people have been down on Sakkari, even when she was winning regularly, there seemed to be more shock that she was getting through her draw and certainty that she'd lose in the next round to a perceived better player most of the time.
Megan replied already, but I say it is because she is already 27, and has only one tournament to her name. She started slow; she started reaching the upper levels about three years ago, but although she has been very consistent, she has won very little. By 27, I think that says something.

Okay, so here's why I find this a weak argument - It doesn't stop anyone around here believing in or even praising Jessica Pegula, who I think is 28, or Shelby Rogers, who is 29. Shelby, who just made her first hard court final of any kind and all people do around for 2 years now is talk about how great she's playing on hard courts and how deep a run she'll have and then she doesn't and then two weeks later, they are back to believing in her. Jessie also has "one title to her name" and yet again, not the same disbelief when she wins and a decent amount of praise.

If the general disbelief in players with somewhat similar stats was fairly equal across the board, I'd get that much more. But that's just not even close to the case. People around here are down on Sakkari. The comment about her playing a fantastic match and throwing in a stinker - that's actually what happens to Shelby, not Sakkari. Going off of Sakkari's results from just the last few months when she's struggled is truly doing her a disservice. Could she have gotten to as high in the rankings if she's throwing in a stinker after every great match? Of course not. But it goes to how she's viewed around here. And Shelby, who I like mind you, gets a pass all the damn time from people accurately seeing her. Shelby has never been ranked in the 20s. Not the Top 20, the Twenties - meaning she's never been ranked 29 or higher. Why? Because she does indeed play a great match followed by a stinker and the results and rankings don't lie on that front. It's really quite strange to me and I usually just skip over the comments putting Sakkari down in one way or another, but today I'm stopping and pointing it out.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

And you expect perfect rationality from this group of riff-raffs, after all these years of coming here? ;)
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
AcesAnnie United States of America

Post by AcesAnnie »

JazzNU wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:23 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:02 pm
JazzNU wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:39 pm ...

Sakkari has talked about struggling with being highly ranked and a favorite and how she let it affect her mindset versus being the underdog. But she's been playing better the last couple of weeks, I just don't think many have noticed. Played Garcia very close in Cincy for instance before Caroline pulled away in the 3rd, but few seem to have realized this. For whatever reason, I've always felt people have been down on Sakkari, even when she was winning regularly, there seemed to be more shock that she was getting through her draw and certainty that she'd lose in the next round to a perceived better player most of the time.
Megan replied already, but I say it is because she is already 27, and has only one tournament to her name. She started slow; she started reaching the upper levels about three years ago, but although she has been very consistent, she has won very little. By 27, I think that says something.

Okay, so here's why I find this a weak argument - It doesn't stop anyone around here believing in or even praising Jessica Pegula, who I think is 28, or Shelby Rogers, who is 29. Shelby, who just made her first hard court final of any kind and all people do around for 2 years now is talk about how great she's playing on hard courts and how deep a run she'll have and then she doesn't and then two weeks later, they are back to believing in her. Jessie also has "one title to her name" and yet again, not the same disbelief when she wins and a decent amount of praise.

If the general disbelief in players with somewhat similar stats was fairly equal across the board, I'd get that much more. But that's just not even close to the case. People around here are down on Sakkari. The comment about her playing a fantastic match and throwing in a stinker - that's actually what happens to Shelby, not Sakkari. Going off of Sakkari's results from just the last few months when she's struggled is truly doing her a disservice. Could she have gotten to as high in the rankings if she's throwing in a stinker after every great match? Of course not. But it goes to how she's viewed around here. And Shelby, who I like mind you, gets a pass all the damn time from people accurately seeing her. Shelby has never been ranked in the 20s. Not the Top 20, the Twenties - meaning she's never been ranked 29 or higher. Why? Because she does indeed play a great match followed by a stinker and the results and rankings don't lie on that front. It's really quite strange to me and I usually just skip over the comments putting Sakkari down in one way or another, but today I'm stopping and pointing it out.
Okay, here is my thing about Shelby, I choose to cheer for her not because she is the most fantastic tennis player on the WTA tour, but because of the typeof person she seems to be. I understand she does not have the talent that a Sakkari, Jabeur, Swiatek have , but she has the ability to stand in there and play with the best players on any given day and even come out on top on some of those days. Sure, she can throw in a stinker from time to time as any player, including Sakkari. The thing is Sheby does not have the talent that a Sakkari has, but Shelby wins matches against some of these top players from time to time. Matches she is not supposed to win. Sakkari however, will play a top player and blow them off the court and look like she is the #1 player in the world and then play a player that she should easily beat, and lose the match. That is what I am talking about. She can be up and down. Maybe it is because, I see her with so much potential. Even more than where she is now.

I really like the game of Sakkari's, I think she is one of the strongest players on the women's tour right now. I do believe if her focus is right she can beat anyone on the ladies tour on any day. It just seems like she is on some sort of roller coaster ride.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I also like Sakkari and when she's on she's great. But I've watched her get to quarter or semi finals and play as if she's never seen a tennis ball before. The same with Sabalenka. She gets to a certain point in a major and everything she knows goes out the window.
Shelby has been playing well but I wouldn't pick her to win here. She just kinda drifts away during a major. I usually root for her when she plays.

The field is so wide open this year anyone could win.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ti-amie wrote:

If she makes it to the second week I'll start paying attention. She's really fit though.
You think she could make 2nd week? I think she will need a miracle from the draw gods and some NYC night magic. But I always thought her career would end with something dramatic. And Sampras did It, came off a two-year slump to win one last US Open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Sampras was much younger. And he was still seeded.
She will need a very benevolent draw to make it to the 2nd week. But any high seed will be very difficult. And, every player is going out there knowing that they can be the last player to beat Serena. They will all play as hard as they can.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Y'all I did say IF she makes the second week.
AcesAnnie United States of America

Post by AcesAnnie »

I am just hoping she wins her 1st match. Anything beyond that will be a plus for me. I will be tuning in for every one of her matches no matter who she is playing against. I hope it can turn into at least a decent run.

Post by meganfernandez »

ti-amie wrote:Y'all I did say IF she makes the second week.
I know, I was sincerely asking what you think of her chances. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

About Shelby and to a lesser extent Pegula - is anyone really thinking of them as likely title winners? It seems to me more like a sentimental home team cheering.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Kerber had pulled out..pregnant, it seems. .

'22 WTA ATP GS USOpen 8/29 - 9/11

Post by meganfernandez »

Suliso wrote:About Shelby and to a lesser extent Pegula - is anyone really thinking of them as likely title winners? It seems to me more like a sentimental home team cheering.
I actually do think Pegula is a title contender. She has been really good this year. And I think Rogers has the game to win a Slam. I’m trying to stop putting players in a “they can never win one” box. They’re the best in the world. Of course they can. It’s hard and most people won’t in their career, but yeah, these players are contenders on a favorable surface. And right now both of them are healthy and have been playing well.

Definitely not because they are Americans.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

If so why are you putting Sakkari in that box? ;)