'22 WTA ATP GS USOpen 8/29 - 9/11

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: '22 WTA ATP GS USOpen 8/29 - 9/11

Post by ponchi101 »

Even with Medvedev, it is as wide open as it has been ever. But not as much as the women's. I would say the cut off point is around the top 12 players. We know for the women is around #36, and then you still have Naomi below that.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:13 pm Even with Medvedev, it is as wide open as it has been ever. But not as much as the women's. I would say the cut off point is around the top 12 players. We know for the women is around #36, and then you still have Naomi below that.
Agree. I think we have to be saying that Norrie, Coric, Paul, Fritz - all contenders. Berrettini if he's healthy. But I still think Med, Tsitsipas and Alcaraz are in another tier. They have distinguished themselves at Slams and with consistency, if not lately. I actually will go with Tsitsipas if Nadal withdraws.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

The draw will be today, and we will then have those two topics up.
The poll for the ATP will be "easy": Take out the missing players, and then the top ten excluding Ruud, and including Sinner and Matteo, plus our dear friend OTHER.
For the WTA, I really have to think who to include, because we have a limit of 10 options. Iga has to be there, as well as OTHER, and then I know that there will be a few posts about "why didn't you include such and such?", and they will all be right. I am voting OTHER, and I suspect it will be the winning choice.
AcesAnnie United States of America

Post by AcesAnnie »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:22 pm The draw will be today, and we will then have those two topics up.
The poll for the ATP will be "easy": Take out the missing players, and then the top ten excluding Ruud, and including Sinner and Matteo, plus our dear friend OTHER.
For the WTA, I really have to think who to include, because we have a limit of 10 options. Iga has to be there, as well as OTHER, and then I know that there will be a few posts about "why didn't you include such and such?", and they will all be right. I am voting OTHER, and I suspect it will be the winning choice.
Put Caroline Garcia in the OTHER column.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:42 pm
ashkor87 wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:13 pm wonder if they will rename the stadium after Serena - BJK already has the entire arena, and Ashe has the stadium.. Serena deserves no less? but then what about Venus? she hasnt even retired yet.. complicated!
We were talking about it before. I can't see them changing either name. ASHE Stadium is too emblematic; BJK Tennis center too. Armstrong has too much history (the name).
But somewhere some tournament will name their main stadium after Serena. Like Barcelona has its Rafa Nadal court, I forget which tournament in germany has its Steffi Graf court, and so on. If Miami had a fixed stadium, it would be a good place.
Serena is the greatest American player ever!
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Novak officially withdrew before the draw since he can't enter the country. And it was one of his best statements in years, short and sweet wishing others well, not playing the damn victim. Here's hoping his obnoxious fans take his cue and calm the **** down on social media, they have been even more insufferable than usual (which is saying something) littering any US Open related post with messages.
AcesAnnie United States of America

Post by AcesAnnie »

JazzNU wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:12 pm Novak officially withdrew before the draw since he can't enter the country. And it was one of his best statements in years, short and sweet wishing others well, not playing the damn victim. Here's hoping his obnoxious fans take his cue and calm the **** down on social media, they have been even more insufferable than usual (which is saying something) littering any US Open related post with messages.
Seriously the entire situation is pretty damn simple. Novak has made it clear that he is sticking with his decision to not get vaccinated, and that is perfectly a just decision on his part. The United States and other countries have also made a stance on allowing unvaccinated people from other countries into their country, and we have a stalemate. So why do people feel the need to be a-holes one way or the other, that is what I don't understand. They can say all the crap they want, but in the end nothing is going to change. Novak will still stand by his decision and the country will do the same. So what Novak did was the best thing for the situation and not blow it out of the water. Fans should do the same.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

ashkor87 wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:10 pm ...

Again, we talked about it. Ashe is not named after the man because of his tennis accomplishments, and neither is the BJK center. They are named largely and mostly for what they did off court.
If it were because of the tennis accomplishments, BJK get a plaque in court 9, Ashe gets one of the restaurants named after him. They are "greats" for other reasons.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

ashkor87 wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:10 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:42 pm
ashkor87 wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:13 pm wonder if they will rename the stadium after Serena - BJK already has the entire arena, and Ashe has the stadium.. Serena deserves no less? but then what about Venus? she hasnt even retired yet.. complicated!
We were talking about it before. I can't see them changing either name. ASHE Stadium is too emblematic; BJK Tennis center too. Armstrong has too much history (the name).
But somewhere some tournament will name their main stadium after Serena. Like Barcelona has its Rafa Nadal court, I forget which tournament in germany has its Steffi Graf court, and so on. If Miami had a fixed stadium, it would be a good place.

Yes, but Serena (and this goes for Venus as well) have a healthy respect for the road that was paved for them and are the last people who would want Arthur Ashe's or BLK's name replaced with theirs. If they do it anytime soon, it'll be one of the unnamed courts like Grandstand as was mentioned or it'll be like a new name given to the Fan Pavilion or something like that.

At another tournament, Miami is the obvious choice of a tour tournament that would name something after her first. But it's not a permanent tennis center, so not sure how that would work, but if they can swing it, that would be the place that would do it the soonest I'd say.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Miami could name THE TROPHY after her (The Serena Williams Cup). That could be lasting, and regardless of where the tournament will move next (and they will move, that thing has been itinerant from the beginning) the name and recognition will be appropriate.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

USO could name the trophy after her too!
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Serena has a good draw...could be a lot worse...
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

No more news coming about Xisca's condition, which is good news. So maybe Rafa will stay and play.