With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Our main board to talk about our sport
meganfernandez United States of America

Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote:Whomever becomes the next US Men's Slam champion is going to reap a windfall.
But that is a good combo. Leylah/FAA Vs Pegula/Shelton is a lot of new faces on the court.
Ben might not even have to win for this to happen. I think Tony Godsick is his agent. (EDIT: yes, he signed with Team 8 this week).

Re: Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Post by meganfernandez »

Gotta say I don't remember Jerome Golmard. But what a forehand. Service motion looks like Pete to me, but it's Henman. I don't remember him having such a muscular serve. Maybe I just haven't seen Pete's serve in a long time.

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

NOBODY has seen Pete's serve in a long time. Pete's power came from one of the most flexible, lose arms ever. If you detail his serve, the racquet head, at the lowest point, almost reached his waist. From there, it was that long, flowing whiplash that left people wondering what went by them.
You don't remember Jerome Golmard? You are doing better than I, because I am sure I never heard of Jerome Golmard. But yes, what a FH.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
AcesAnnie United States of America

Post by AcesAnnie »

I certainly don't remember Jerome. I am surprised, I don't remember that FH though. That is some powerful stuff.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

I saw Taylor Fritz hit several similar cannon forehands on the practice court a few weeks ago. Very impressive.
Of course, it's easier to do in practice, when there are no consequences, than it is in a match.

The hardest forehand I ever saw hit in a match belonged to James Blake in one particular match.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Post by meganfernandez »

Deuce wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:40 pm I saw Taylor Fritz hit several similar cannon forehands on the practice court a few weeks ago. Very impressive.
Of course, it's easier to do in practice, when there are no consequences, than it is in a match.

The hardest forehand I ever saw hit in a match belonged to James Blake in one particular match.
That's interesting. For me, probably Gonzo.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

meganfernandez wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:18 pm
Deuce wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:40 pm I saw Taylor Fritz hit several similar cannon forehands on the practice court a few weeks ago. Very impressive.

Yes - but I'm referring to forehands that land INSIDE the court area. :D
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Post by AcesAnnie »

I have seen Gael Monfils hit some pretty hard forehands before.

Post by meganfernandez »

Deuce wrote:
meganfernandez wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:18 pm

Yes - but I'm referring to forehands that land INSIDE the court area. :D
2007 Australian Open, he got some to land in. :) I loved the wild shots that missed by 50 feet. Just spectacular abandon from that wing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Blake Vs Federer at the USO.
Of course, being Roger, he blocked it and the ball had so much power, from Blake, that Roger hit a BH winner down the line. Blake was still finishing his swing.

Post by meganfernandez »

Anyone remember much about Sampras's title run in 2002, 20 years ago? What I remember is that the media laughed and snickered when he said he felt confident. No one gave him a chance. He was on a two-year title drought and had lost in Wimbledon to George Bastl in R2. But damn if Sampras didn't pull it off in fairytale style, beating Agassi in the final. Just wondering if anyone has memories of the tournament that year.

Post by AcesAnnie »

meganfernandez wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:24 pm Anyone remember much about Sampras's title run in 2002, 20 years ago? What I remember is that the media laughed and snickered when he said he felt confident. No one gave him a chance. He was on a two-year title drought and had lost in Wimbledon to George Bastl in R2. But damn if Sampras didn't pull it off in fairytale style, beating Agassi in the final. Just wondering if anyone has memories of the tournament that year.
I remember that he won and I remember that I was a lot younger then. ;)
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Basically tattooed on my frontal lobes.
Pete beat Rusedski, I think, in 3R. After the loss, which was a very tough 5 setter, Rusedski said that if Pete kept playing that way, he would lose in the next round. Well, he didn't, and he didn't.
The year before Pete had lost to Hewitt in the final. In '02, Agassi took Hewitt out in the SF. I believe that if Hewitt had played Sampras in the final, he would have repeated. Sampras didn't respect Hewitt's return of serve, and in '01 he S&V in first and second serve, and Hewitt carved him up. But in '02, with Agassi as the opponent, Sampras stayed back on 2nd serves; that helped him, and it was because he respected Agassi's return.
And of course. For all of Sampras's fans, even the very last point was a delight. Both of us (JazzNu and I ;) ) must remember it vividly: Pete served into Agassi's body, and volleyed straight at him. Agassi tried a FH passing shot that went a bit high and Sampras volleyed a sharp BH backhand for the final point. So, not only he won his last match ever, something that will be very hard to repeat; his LAST POINT was a winner at the net.
We could not have written that ending better.
Of course, in 2003, when he came back for his goodbye ceremony, people finally showed him the appreciation. I do love Roger and Rafa, but for me, it will always be Pete. The most spectacularly quite player of all times.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

meganfernandez wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:24 pm Anyone remember much about Sampras's title run in 2002, 20 years ago? What I remember is that the media laughed and snickered when he said he felt confident. No one gave him a chance. He was on a two-year title drought and had lost in Wimbledon to George Bastl in R2. But damn if Sampras didn't pull it off in fairytale style, beating Agassi in the final. Just wondering if anyone has memories of the tournament that year.
The media were insufferable. I liked Agassi considerably less than I likely would've due to how much they were willing to hype him as a favorite even ranked in the 100s and how much they were chastising Sampras for not playing a lot in the recent years and how there was no way he had a chance, not framing him as the GOAT, but as someone who had lost early in a few recent tournaments and was therefore washed up. You'd have thought he was at the very least on a wild card entry into the tournament the way they were talking (he was ranked in the Top 20 if memory serves). I was super annoyed by it all, felt it was wildly disrespectful.

I agree that it was the following year that the media showed him appreciation. Heading into 2002 US Open, the tone was not nearly as gracious or appreciative and that really continued for awhile. I remember quite a few just continually saying, well that was a great win, but now he has to face X younger player and that will be that. It wasn't until I think beating Haas I want to say that the tone started to change a bit. But most still seemed to think Roddick would beat him. Sampras dusted off Andy quickly, it wasn't competitive, and that's when I can remember not necessarily true belief in Sampras winning it all, but there was excitement that there would be Sampras vs. Agassi matchup yet again for the finals, and that was something to start getting pumped about and they did.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I had forgotten he beat Roddick handily (so much for that tattoo).