With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Our main board to talk about our sport
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

As a former champion of, everywhere, should be present the trophy to the winners of next year's slams? Hand it to Novak, Rafa, Novak and first time winner (USO)?
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

The eyes. Glued to that ball. :medal:

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I don't know why they are emphasizing FH winners either.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

They are all over the place with their set and match statistics.
Sometimes they don't show the unforced errors at all.
They used to show total points won by both players. Lately, they don't show that, either.
It's so random that it's like whoever is doing the stats for a particular match just does whatever he/she feels like doing. There are no criteria.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

It is as if tennis can't be analyzed. These stats are useless.
In every other sport, pretty soon all coaches will be replaced by an AI bot. In tennis, players and coaches will be given crystal balls, tarot cards and a Ouija board.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

I like to see the total points won. That helps to see which player won the important points.
If, for example, the player who lost the match won more total points, one can logically conclude that the winner of the match won more of the critical points.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

On the WTA telecast of the San Diego Final, Jill Craybas just made the excellent point that I've tried to make to people (with little success)...
As an airplane flew overhead (there is an airport near the tournament site), they talked about whether the planes are a distraction to the players...

Craybas said that the main problem with the planes flying low is that the sound of the planes drowns out the sound of the strings hitting the ball. She said that the sound of the the ball being struck "gives a lot of information about the shot" - how hard it's hit, what kind of spin, how much spin, etc. - and that the player not hitting the ball relies on this audible information.

I've tried to explain this to people, but many don't understand how important sound is.
This is why I don't like playing on courts that are near noise sources (like high vehicle traffic).
It's also why I hate watching tennis on TV with the sound off. As a spectator, as well, I want to hear the sound, as it relays a lot of important information.
R.I.P. Amal...

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Deuce wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 11:43 pm On the WTA telecast of the San Diego Final, Jill Craybas just made the excellent point that I've tried to make to people (with little success)...
As an airplane flew overhead (there is an airport near the tournament site), they talked about whether the planes are a distraction to the players...

Craybas said that the main problem with the planes flying low is that the sound of the planes drowns out the sound of the strings hitting the ball. She said that the sound of the the ball being struck "gives a lot of information about the shot" - how hard it's hit, what kind of spin, how much spin, etc. - and that the player not hitting the ball relies on this audible information.

I've tried to explain this to people, but many don't understand how important sound is.
This is why I don't like playing on courts that are near noise sources (like high vehicle traffic).
It's also why I hate watching tennis on TV with the sound off. As a spectator, as well, I want to hear the sound, as it relays a lot of important information.
This is true but asking anyone to sit through a match commentary by Jmac, Carillo or Arias is asking a lot.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

ti-amie wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:21 am ...

This is true but asking anyone to sit through a match commentary by Jmac, Carillo or Arias is asking a lot.
Will trade you the three of them for Clerc... ;)
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ti-amie wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:21 am
Deuce wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 11:43 pm On the WTA telecast of the San Diego Final, Jill Craybas just made the excellent point that I've tried to make to people (with little success)...

Both McEnroes talk too much - because they love to hear themselves... and John talks far too much about himself. I still won't turn the sound off, though :D .

I don't mind Arias... and I quite like Carillo.
R.I.P. Amal...

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

If Carillo is working by herself she is sometimes tolerable to me. I remember a tournament earlier this year where there was a great commentary team for a WTA match. When Carillo came on any commentary based on what was going on during the match disappeared and all she gave was anecdotes about random stuff.

Arias just drives me up the wall.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Hindrance?