Business/Markets/Stocks/Economics Random, Random

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
Suliso Latvia

Re: Business/Markets/Stocks/Economics Random, Random

Post by Suliso »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:04 pm The alternative is for this sort of media to disappear.
And that is NOT a bad alternative. The belief that you can say anything meaningful in a tweet is beyond my comprehension.
I think you're not well informed here. There are ways to write much longer than the allowed character count. Either by making a thread (I've seen as much as 30 connected tweets) or using a picture of a text.

Alternative is that you'll have to listen to what standard media writes with no way of getting alternative views or news from the ground when something important happens. It used to be like that, but doesn't mean we need to go back.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Which is one thing I don't understand. If you need to write a "thread", the subject is obviously not meant to be in a tweet. You need a larger medium.
Therefore, open a blog, or have syndication in a more thorough medium.
About alternative view. While the original idea was sound, what that has degenerated is into alternative "misinformation". ANYBODY can post, share and spread any kind of falsehoods; I see it constantly with my loony friend N and his barrage of misinformation regarding C19. The speed at which a tweet can spread means that no editing or content control can be done, and therefore, the malicious or simply uninformed people can spread lies at a considerable speed. With traditional media, at least theoretically we have an editor that, if ethical, can stop the publication of something patently false.
With TWT, that is gone. Something pops in your mind, you post, and it spreads. Be it true or false.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:34 pm Which is one thing I don't understand. If you need to write a "thread", the subject is obviously not meant to be in a tweet. You need a larger medium.
Therefore, open a blog, or have syndication in a more thorough medium.
Yes, but unless you can publish in NYT or similar good luck reaching an audience as large as you might in TW.
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:34 pm About alternative view. While the original idea was sound, what that has degenerated is into alternative "misinformation". ANYBODY can post, share and spread any kind of falsehoods; I see it constantly with my loony friend N and his barrage of misinformation regarding C19. The speed at which a tweet can spread means that no editing or content control can be done, and therefore, the malicious or simply uninformed people can spread lies at a considerable speed. With traditional media, at least theoretically we have an editor that, if ethical, can stop the publication of something patently false.
With TWT, that is gone. Something pops in your mind, you post, and it spreads. Be it true or false.
Certainly lots of garbage on TW. Really difficult to avoid... But there is also a lot of expertise. For example, it has been a great source for finding out what's going on in the Russia-Ukraine war.

Also it helps if you avoid discussing politics there. If you do you're just inviting a (expletive)...
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

If memory serves people here aren't the biggest fans of Reddit and therefore don't use it, but Reddit is the alternative to Twitter that accomplishes similar things if something happens to Twitter or people no longer want to be on there. There are other technical alternatives, but most are either going to wind up being too new or too complicated for new and casual users.

This is in a US context. Maybe @suliso can weigh in on how things are in Switzerland and Latvia. But for the US, Reddit is the Twitter alternative and already a very large and thriving social media network that doesn't need to worry about how to handle a massive influx of users.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Advertisers will love this!

Post by JazzNU »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

That Whitney gif is the best though.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I am sick and tired of this person but just when I'm doing other stuff someone sent me this.

My daughter said from the beginning that this was his end game.
MJ2004

Post by MJ2004 »

I agree. He's either a moron or deliberately trying to run the company out of business. Both are not impossible.

I definitely don't think he's the genius he's made out to be, but the latter would be my bet here.

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:47 pm I am sick and tired of this person but just when I'm doing other stuff someone sent me this.

Ben (and his mental health) are doing the Lord's work. The beat he works on would break a lesser man in a day. I can't believe he is doing Elon stuff now in addition surveilling QAnon and the far right news networks.

Post by JazzNU »

Goodness gracious. Saw this in the replies of the Eli Lilly post from @Ti above and then searched and found the second one.