Tennis Related - Off Court Serious Issues

Our main board to talk about our sport
Deuce Canada

Re: Tennis Related - Off Court Serious Issues

Post by Deuce »

I wish they would have the balls to fine them a significant amount that would actually do some damage and discourage similar actions in the future...
This fine is nothing but a public relations move to fool people into believing that they're actually punishing the LTA.
There's far too much of this BS going on in various elements of society - 'punishments' of seemingly large dollar figures designed to impress people, but when the dollar figures are put in context, they are shown to be quite minimal.

ATP Fines Lawn Tennis Association Over Banning of Russian and Belarusian Players

R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

As disappointing as this is, I sure hope that no-one here is surprised...

'Sponsors Say It's Better to Look Good Than to Be #1' - Cirstea

R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Deuce wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:27 am As disappointing as this is, I sure hope that no-one here is surprised...

Because it was Cirstea I almost didn't read the article but the comment below is the cause of a lot of argument among WTA fans especially now with Iga at #1 and unknown outside of tennis circles. I haven't seen the same debate about ATP players except as it relates to Djokovic.
The 32-year-old, formerly sponsored by Adidas, said American, Chinese, Japanese and British players are the best-paid, but "Eastern Europe doesn't really sell."
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

For those that forgot.
When Hingis was switching from Tacchini to (eventually) Adidas, she was offered a contract that was less than Kournikova's. Hingis, reportedly, was furious; she was world #1 and was obviously ranked higher than Anna.
"Yes, but you are not Anna Kournikova" was Adidas' reply.

It is a BUSINESS. It is not a lesson on morality or fairness.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

It's marketing, that's all, don't take it personally.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Why should we accept the pitifully low standard of 'marketing' and 'business' placing financial profit above respect, decency, and all else?
Why should we accept that business and ethics are mutually exclusive, never to combine?
The businesses I respect are the ethical ones.

Would you guys still say that it's just 'business' or just 'marketing', and shouldn't be taken personally if, instead of the subject being one's physical appearance, it was skin colour or sexual preference? If white people were advantaged over blacks, Hispanics, etc. by sponsors? Or if straight people were advantaged over gay people?
I doubt it.

The acceptance of this garbage with a mere shrug of the shoulders is in large part responsible for humanity being in such dire straits.
Indifference and apathy don't improve the status quo - they just encourage it. We need to employ higher standards if we want to see improvement and true progression.
R.I.P. Amal...

ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

ti-amie wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:50 pm
Deuce wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:27 am As disappointing as this is, I sure hope that no-one here is surprised...

Because it was Cirstea I almost didn't read the article but the comment below is the cause of a lot of argument among WTA fans especially now with Iga at #1 and unknown outside of tennis circles. I haven't seen the same debate about ATP players except as it relates to Djokovic.
The 32-year-old, formerly sponsored by Adidas, said American, Chinese, Japanese and British players are the best-paid, but "Eastern Europe doesn't really sell."
Easy to understand ..those are big, lucrative markets..Eastern Europe isn't, though that is where most of the stars come from!
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

Deuce wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:10 am Why should we accept the pitifully low standard of 'marketing' and 'business' placing financial profit above respect, decency, and all else?
Why should we accept that business and ethics are mutually exclusive, never to combine?
The businesses I respect are the ethical ones.

Would you guys still say that it's just 'business' or just 'marketing', and shouldn't be taken personally if, instead of the subject being one's physical appearance, it was skin colour or sexual preference? If white people were advantaged over blacks, Hispanics, etc. by sponsors? Or if straight people were advantaged over gay people?
I doubt it.

The acceptance of this garbage with a mere shrug of the shoulders is in large part responsible for humanity being in such dire straits.
Indifference and apathy don't improve the status quo - they just encourage it. We need to employ higher standards if we want to see improvement and true progression.
You're not recognizing my cynicism.
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

Boris Becker has been released from prison after serving 8 months.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I would start the search for a second nationality. And, after getting it, burn that Russian Passport. I would not go back to Moscow if I were her.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I worry about her family though...
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Without say. Putin's regime would not mind one bit doing something to them. So get them out of Russia too.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Kasatkina's a sweetie. I had some fun and laughs with her and her coach Carlos Martinez this past summer when talking about (and swinging) an old Head Vilas wood racquet.
She's very down to Earth, and loves to laugh and joke.

I hope she finds a way to stand up for what she believes in and what she wants to do while at the same time making sure that she and her family are safe.
Easier said than done, though... :(
R.I.P. Amal...

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »