With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Our main board to talk about our sport
Deuce Canada

Re: Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Post by Deuce »

ti-amie wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:49 pm Is this where you saw Parks ashkor? This is quite an entry list.

Limoges 125k
Draw size: 32S / 4Q / 8D
Date (main draw): December 11-17, 2022
Surface: Indoor hard
Venue: Palais des Sports de Beaublanc, Limoges

Entries
Seed Name Seeding Ranking Entry Ranking

1 (WC) Shuai Zhang 24
2 (WC) Aliaksandra Sasnovich 30
3 (WC) Alizé Cornet 36
4 (WC) Ana Bogdan 48
5 Anhelina Kalinina 53 53
6 Lucia Bronzetti 58 57
7 Tatjana Maria 70 69
8 Marta Kostyuk 71 70
Anna Blinkova 80 80
Varvara Gracheva 94 95
Marketa Vondrousova 97 98
Alycia Parks 100 119
Kristina Mladenovic 115 112
Clara Burel 125 129
Elizabeth Mandlik 126 120
Erika Andreeva 127 123
Clara Tauson 132 128
Jodie Burrage 134 127
Lucrezia Stefanini 144 141
Anna-Lena Friedsam 146 143
Katrina Scott 162 163
Jessika Ponchet 172 168
Joanne Zuger 185 187
Greet Minnen 203 202
Carole Monnet 225 226
(WC) Sofia Kenin 240
(WC) Audrey Albie 271
Nefisa Berberovic 288 231
(Q)
(Q)
(Q)
(Q)
ti-amie wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:52 pm BTW Kenin is out to Blinkova already in straight sets 4&4
Kenin who?
(Has any top player completely disappeared more rapidly than Kenin? Genie Bouchard disappeared quite fast - but not as fast as Kenin... and Genie hadn't had the same degree of success that Kenin had.)

125s will tend to attract more known players at this time of year than usual, because of the lack of tournaments, and some players wanting to get a jump on the season to be ready for the Aussie swing in January.

As for Alicia Parks - she won both the singles and the doubles Final today in the 125 tournament before the one mentioned above.
I haven't seen her play much, and so can't comment on her tennis abilities. But she's going to have to show me that she has matured into much better sportsmanship than what she is best known for here in Canada...

Here (below) is a video of what I'm referring to. It happened 3 years ago between Parks and Canadian Katherine Sebov, who is currently ranked #223 (Parks is currently ranked #100).
Being Canadian myself, I've seen Sebov play several times. I've never seen her cause any problems or be involved in any type of controversial situation apart from this one. She is known here as a fair player. I asked a linesman friend of mine (who has officiated many of Sebov's matches over the years, going back to Junior level) if he's ever seen Sebov cause any problems, and he said 'No'.

For those who wish to delve deeper into this mess, I am including a couple of links below the video, where Stephanie Myles tries to dissect what happened...

Sebov vs. Parks - Dissection 1...

Sebov vs. Parks - Dissection 2...

R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Saw Parks on YouTube..beating Sakkari at Ostrava and playing Jabeur on grass at Berlin...
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Checked the draw..Parks doesn't seem to be playing
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Correct. She just won the tournament before this one I think.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Swiatek named 2022 WTA Player of the Year
Iga Swiatek, along with the doubles team of Barbora Krejcikova and Katerina Siniakova, were among the WTA award winners announced Monday.

By Press Release

The WTA will celebrate the standout performers of the 2022 season over the next few days as part of Awards Week, which kicks off Monday.

From Dec. 12 to 16, the WTA will honor this year’s best players, tournaments, coach and those athletes who have gone above and beyond to support the Hologic WTA Tour at every level.

The first of five Players Awards, three Player Service Awards in addition to the Coach of the Year Award on Monday were the first to be announced. Later this week, the WTA will reveal the Tournaments of the Year in their respective categories, with all winners being celebrated on social media and digital platforms in the coming days.

The 2022 WTA Player Award winners, as voted for by international tennis media, are:

Player of the Year: Iga Swiatek

This is World No.1 Iga Swiatek’s first time winning the WTA Player of the Year. Swiatek, who won Newcomer of the Year in 2020, had an outstanding season in 2022, leading the way for finals reached, trophies won and matches won. She was crowned champion at eight tournaments, including winning six events in a row, including a 37-match winning streak.

Among those eight titles were two Grand Slams, at Roland Garros and the US Open, WTA 1000 titles at the Qatar TotalEnergies Open (Doha), BNP Paribas Open (Indian Wells), the Miami Open presented Itaú, Internazionali BNL d'Italia (Rome) and WTA 500 titles at the Porsche Tennis Grand Prix (Stuttgart) and the San Diego Open. Overall, Swiatek won 67 matches this season.

Doubles Team of the Year: Barbora Krejcikova and Katerina Siniakova

Barbora Krejcikova and doubles World No.1 Katerina Siniakova were awarded the Doubles Team of the Year for the second season in a row and third time overall. The Czech pairing won three titles in 2022, all coming at the majors -- the Australian Open, Wimbledon and the US Open. They also reached the title match at the WTA Finals. Their title in New York secured them the career Grand Slam, a feat achieved by only six other doubles teams.

Most Improved Player of the Year: Beatriz Haddad Maia

Player who finished inside the Top 100 and showed significant improvement throughout the season

Beatriz Haddad Maia is the first Brazilian woman to win a WTA Player Awards since they were introduced in 1977. Her season was highlighted by a stellar sequence of results on grass, becoming the first woman to win the WTA 250 Rothesay Open Nottingham and WTA 250 Rothesay Classic Birmingham back-to-back, while also making the semifinals at WTA 500 Rothesay International Eastbourne.

She broke into the Top 20 for the first time following her run to the final at the WTA 1000 National Bank Open presented by Rogers (Toronto) in August and went on to post a new-career high ranking of No.15 as part of a memorable season.

Newcomer of the Year: Zheng Qinwen

Player who made Top 100 debut and/or notable accomplishments during the season

Zheng Qinwen rose over 100 places this season in the WTA Rankings, with a steady string of results over the year and broke into the Top 25 by the end of 2022. She reached her first WTA final at the WTA 500 Toray Pan Pacific Open (Tokyo), the semifinals of the WTA 250 Melbourne Summer Set 1, the last eight at the WTA 1000 level National Bank Open presented by Rogers (Toronto) and posting her best Grand Slam result by reaching the Round of 16 at Roland-Garros. Zheng Qinwen is the second Chinese woman win a WTA Player Award, after Zheng Jie earned the Comeback Player of the Year honor in 2008.

Comeback Player of the Year: Tatjana Maria

Player whose ranking previously dropped due to injury or personal reasons and current season's results helped restore ranking

After taking time away from summer 2020 to July 2021 to give birth to her second child Cecilia, Tatjana Maria enjoyed a return to winning ways in 2022, triumphing at the WTA 250 Copa Colsanitas presented by Zurich (Bogota) as a qualifier to lift her second career title and first since 2018. She further cemented her comeback with a fairytale run to her first Grand Slam semifinal at Wimbledon, before another semifinal at the WTA 250 Hana Bank Korea Open (Seoul) and making the last eight at WTA 250 Championnats Banque Nationale de Granby.

Photo by Sarah-Jäde Champagne

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

The WTA Coach of the Year award went to David Witt. He works with Jessica Pegula, a 28-year-old American who rose to a career-best No. 3 in the rankings during 2022 and was a quarterfinalist at three Grand Slam tournaments — losing to Barty or Swiatek each time.

https://www.usnews.com/news/sports/arti ... ach%20time.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

It's nice to see Tatjana Maria be recognized. She and her husband Charles-Edouard were very nice to me at a tournament this pas summer - very friendly and down to Earth... I even 'conspired' with her husband to get into centre court when it was 'sold out' (though 80% of the seats were empty!) - he took me into the court with them as part of their 'entourage'.

Their daughter Charlotte will be a WTA level player in about 10 years. You heard it here first. She's good.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Truly nothing to say about these picks. They seem correct.
I like that BHM got that recognition. She has become a reliable winner.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:22 pm Truly nothing to say about these picks. They seem correct.
Agree....though I might prefer Garcia for most improved, or even comeback player...
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

ashkor87 wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:24 am
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:22 pm Truly nothing to say about these picks. They seem correct.
Agree....though I might prefer Garcia for most improved, or even comeback player...
Now that you say it... Yes. I know Maria had a very good comeback, but Garcia came all the way back to be a factor at slams. That would have been another good choice.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

ti-amie wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:54 pm The WTA Coach of the Year award went to David Witt. He works with Jessica Pegula, a 28-year-old American who rose to a career-best No. 3 in the rankings during 2022 and was a quarterfinalist at three Grand Slam tournaments — losing to Barty or Swiatek each time.

https://www.usnews.com/news/sports/arti ... ach%20time.
Wasn't David Witt coaching Venus for a long time? Nobody heard about him then..wonder why..?

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

We Venus fans knew all about Witt. He was the same man he is now when it comes to his behavior on court. There was the time when they had a huge blow out though and he quit only to come/be brought back. He wanted Venus to quit a few years ago too.

Iga stans wanted her coach to get the nod.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:03 am
ashkor87 wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:24 am
Now that you say it... Yes. I know Maria had a very good comeback, but Garcia came all the way back to be a factor at slams. That would have been another good choice.
Maybe the wta should include the clause that the player should have been literally off the tour for much of the previous year, to be comeback player..then Maria would be the obvious choice..the current definition is a bit ambiguous
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

The way players are simply going off the boil and coming back, maybe a new category Resurgent player is called for!