With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Our main board to talk about our sport
Deuce Canada

Re: Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Post by Deuce »

Sure, Garcia definitely deserves serious consideration for 'comeback player'.
The differences between Garcia and Tatjana Maria are that A) I believe Garcia was ranked higher at her highest than Maria ever was, B) Maria is older than Garcia, C) Maria left the tour to give birth (to her second child), whereas Garcia had just faded away on her own for a while.

And let's not forget that Maria would be ranked significantly higher now if her points from the Wimbledon Semi-Final counted.

I wonder if Kenin will ever win the 'comeback (or resurgent) player' award.

I like Qinwen as 'newcomer of the year'.
Maria's daughter Charlotte will win 'newcomer of the year' in 2033 :).
Last edited by Deuce on Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

ti-amie wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:20 am We Venus fans knew all about Witt. He was the same man he is now when it comes to his behavior on court. There was the time when they had a huge blow out though and he quit only to come/be brought back. He wanted Venus to quit a few years ago too.

Iga stans wanted her coach to get the nod.
That is not totally farfetched. She was a very good clay courter. She has now become a very good hard court player, and if the coach has been there, he gets some credit.
Also. A very dominant year, and a well-managed schedule. Coaches get credit for that.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

ashkor87 wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:27 am Finally got to see the latest US sensation Alycia Parks ..very impressed. Silky smooth like Rybakina...power, touch, volley, good serve..moves reasonably well ( room for improvement), even has drop shots .lot of upside, more than Gauff, perhaps! Keep an eye on her..
surpisingly ungracious handshakes from Pliskova and Sakkari, considering Parks is a young player.. wonder why?
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ashkor87 wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:42 am
ashkor87 wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:27 am Finally got to see the latest US sensation Alycia Parks ..very impressed. Silky smooth like Rybakina...power, touch, volley, good serve..moves reasonably well ( room for improvement), even has drop shots .lot of upside, more than Gauff, perhaps! Keep an eye on her..
surpisingly ungracious handshakes from Pliskova and Sakkari, considering Parks is a young player.. wonder why?
It's possibly related to a negative reputation Parks may have earned for herself via the kind of behaviour shown in my post on Dec. 11th.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:46 pm I agree Ferrer and Nalbandian could be in the conversation. Nalbandian did win the most incredible tour finals ever. Ferrer reached a RG final. Plus, of course, he suffered playing his entire career under the yolk of the Roger/Rafa/Nole dictatorship.
Like Ferrer, Berdych also made a Slam final and played his whole career under the yoke of the Big Four. I think Berdych was better than Ferrer. You?
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ti-amie wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:20 am We Venus fans knew all about Witt. He was the same man he is now when it comes to his behavior on court. There was the time when they had a huge blow out though and he quit only to come/be brought back. He wanted Venus to quit a few years ago too.

Was it ever confirmed that Venus and David Witt dated while he coached her? I agree that he was very prominent on tour during his time with Venus.
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

Parks is already 21, so the comparison to Gauff is moot. Also, I've seen her play a bunch, and she lacks consistent control on her groundstrokes, so that will need to be a serious improvement if she wants to compete at the top level.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

meganfernandez wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:24 pm

Was it ever confirmed that Venus and David Witt dated while he coached her? I agree that he was very prominent on tour during his time with Venus.
As far as I know it was never confirmed.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

meganfernandez wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:21 pm ...

Like Ferrer, Berdych also made a Slam final and played his whole career under the yoke of the Big Four. I think Berdych was better than Ferrer. You?
Three very similar careers: Ferrer, Berdych, Tsonga. Berdych/Ferrer H2H: 8-8 (that was surprising). Who was better? I'll chicken out; I really can't tell.
But I would not include any of them in a list of best player EVER to not win a slam. I don't think they achieved enough (Tsonga's game was good enough for a slam. I consider him an underachiever).
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

meganfernandez wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:21 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:46 pm I agree Ferrer and Nalbandian could be in the conversation. Nalbandian did win the most incredible tour finals ever. Ferrer reached a RG final. Plus, of course, he suffered playing his entire career under the yolk of the Roger/Rafa/Nole dictatorship.
Yes, Berdych may be better than Ferrer,- he actually beat the big 3 from time to time at a major..
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

JTContinental wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:31 pm
Parks is already 21, so the comparison to Gauff is moot. Also, I've seen her play a bunch, and she lacks consistent control on her groundstrokes, so that will need to be a serious improvement if she wants to compete at the top level.
I haven't seen her that much ..but remember, control is something players develop as they grow older, power and touch is something you cannot learn
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

The following from:
https://www.tennisworldusa.org/tennis/n ... top-coach/

Retired American player and Roger Federer's former coach Paul Annacone has given an insight into the Swiss legend's mindset from the time he was a child.
"Yeah, I think it's almost unfortunate because people thought that it came so easily, he didn't ever have to do anything," Annacone said. "Well, I can tell you first-hand that the pre-season training sessions in Dubai after the US Open with Pierre Paganini and Severin Luthi, it was very strategic."

"He spent a ton of time in the gym, he spent a ton of time on the practice court. And one of the things that I found most interesting about Roger was that the first time I met him, we talked about doing something and I asked him to do it, and he said, ‘Why?’ I said, ‘What do you mean why?’ And he goes, ‘Well, when I was a kid, everyone used to call me the 'Why Man'. I'm happy to do it but you have to tell me why and how does it fit into my game.’ And that mantra lasted from the day he started to the day he stopped as a professional tennis player," he added.
R.I.P. Amal...

JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

ashkor87 wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:00 am
JTContinental wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:31 pm
I haven't seen her that much ..but remember, control is something players develop as they grow older, power and touch is something you cannot learn
For sure, and with her unique serve and volleying abilities, she could give the main tour fits if she can reign it in a little bit.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I disagree that control is something you develop with age. Hingis came to the tour already with magnificent control. Radwanska too. People may forget but Navs had god-like control on her volleys, always. On the men's side, Roger came already with control while, at the other end, Laconte did not have the same level.
I agree that those three things can be worked at, but improvement is menial after some early age. Wozniacki never had any power to speak of (and her switch to Yonex did not help) and she was never able to develop enough. Sharapova had all the power, but lacked control (for her level) and so on.
The one thing that you can develop is shot selection; that way, if you don't have enough control, your shots will land in because the margin of error was better.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:36 pm I disagree that control is something you develop with age. Hingis came to the tour already with magnificent control. Radwanska too. People may forget but Navs had god-like control on her volleys, always. On the men's side, Roger came already with control while, at the other end, Laconte did not have the same level.
I agree that those three things can be worked at, but improvement is menial after some early age. Wozniacki never had any power to speak of (and her switch to Yonex did not help) and she was never able to develop enough. Sharapova had all the power, but lacked control (for her level) and so on.
The one thing that you can develop is shot selection; that way, if you don't have enough control, your shots will land in because the margin of error was better.
Yes, it varies a lot ..