With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Our main board to talk about our sport
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Post by ti-amie »

Tsitsipas searching for “the flow” as he chases first Grand Slam title
The Greek says “letting go” is the secret to playing his best tennis

Stefanos Tsitsipas, US Open 2022 | © Zuma / Panoramic

Simon Cambers
December 14, 2022
Stefanos Tsitsipas reached seven finals in 2022, winning two of them as he finished in the top 10 for the fourth year in a row, cementing his place as one of the biggest threats to win the sport’s biggest titles.

The Greek has been to one Grand Slam final, the 2021 French Open final, when he was two sets up against Novak Djokovic before going down in five.

With Carlos Alcaraz having hit No 1 at 19, Tsitsipas will be feeling the heat from the younger brigade, including Holger Rune, but the 24-year-old says he has learned how to get the best out of himself on the big occasions; by getting out of his own way.

One of the more thoughtful players on the Tour, Tsitsipas admits he’s been too negative at times. But when he gets it right, like he did in beating Rafael Nadal in the quarter-finals in Australia in 2021 – two years after being hammered by the same man in the semi-finals – he found the equilibrium he needed to allow himself to play his best.

“After going two sets down, I understood what I was doing wrong,” Tsitsipas said, in an interview with RedBull.com. “I remember coming to an agreement with myself, saying, “OK, you’re going to become patient. You’re going to wait. You’re going to spend every single minute on the court enjoying the play and just make it a fun game. It turned out to be one of the best comebacks in my career so far.”

TSITSIPAS: “YOU’RE PLAYING WITH YOUR SOUL”
Tsitsipas said he felt himself in the zone, the state of mind every player tries to find, when the mind does not get in the body’s way.

“It felt like I was in a cage and someone decided to unlock it. I suddenly felt free. Every decision I went for felt right. It’s what I like to call flow. I was able to reach that flow by decreasing my expectations. It was a pure fight. It was all mental. It was excruciating, physically and mentally – I don’t think I’ve ever played at such high focus levels for so long. Everything felt like it made sense. It’s like a drug when you’re able to experience it – it brings you to another level. You’re not playing with your skill any more, you’re playing with your soul.”

Tsitsipas said he had asked his mental coach how to find that state more regularly. “The answer, surprisingly, is that you just have to let go,” he said. “You can’t think you want to be in the flow state, or you’ll never reach it. It happens gradually, it builds up. It’s a climax you reach when you stop overthinking and just act, using more of your instinct.”

https://www.tennismajors.com/atp/tsitsi ... 49346.html
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

^ Yes - a slight variation on the theory that 'playing unconscious' (i.e. - NOT THINKING) is the most efficient way to make use of one's natural ability.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Yes. He is correct. He has to "Let go".
As in "Let go" of your father and mother. Leave them home. Next year, starting at the Australian, buy them tickets to Nepal before you get there.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Yep. I say they are also very much right.
Especially Coric. I remember when he was touted as the next big one. Then, all those injuries.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

That Netflix thing ^ will very likely be a load of sensationalized horse dung. That's what it has been in their series on Formula 1 car racing - a lot of BS sensationalism, manipulations (taking drivers' radio messages from one race and making it look like it's from a different race in order to create artificial drama and animosity between drivers, etc). A few drivers and 'team principles' were quite critical of the series and refused to participate.

So... I definitely wouldn't call this type of thing a 'documentary'. Documentaries are mature and serious. These Netflix things seem to be aimed mostly at the typical 14 to 20 year old immature mentality that is impressed with sensationalism.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:30 pm Yes. He is correct. He has to "Let go".
As in "Let go" of your father and mother. Leave them home. Next year, starting at the Australian, buy them tickets to Nepal before you get there.
He he

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Rafa and Ons are there though...

Then again one wag noted that people know who those three are and that is sad.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I wonder who her assigned agent will be? Jill?