With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Our main board to talk about our sport
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Indeed. For example, Evert's 22 BIG titles are her 18 Slams and her WTA Finals. She retired in 1989, so had no chance to get any WTA1000's. BJK is totally absent, M. Court's 11 titles are her 11 Slams in the Open era.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Agree. This is a nonsense list which intentionally leaves out the big stars of 70-ties and 80-ties.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Ace leaders this year are Garcia among the women, and, of course, Isner for the men - what is astonishing is how close FAA is to Isner, only 5 aces behind him! 895 versus 890.. Kyrgios is at #5 ..
somehow, had never thought of Garcia as a big server, but she is, I guess. Rybakina is just a tad behind her, mostly because she hasnt played as many matches, but more than 100 clear of #3!
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Garcia gets her aces via placement. It is a sweet motion, and she fools her opponents a lot.
Keeping in mind the differences: she is a server in the mold of Pete; sure, she has power and speed, but she also has disguise.
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

ashkor87 wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:24 pm Ace leaders this year are Garcia among the women, and, of course, Isner for the men - what is astonishing is how close FAA is to Isner, only 5 aces behind him! 895 versus 890.. Kyrgios is at #5 ..
somehow, had never thought of Garcia as a big server, but she is, I guess. Rybakina is just a tad behind her, mostly because she hasnt played as many matches, but more than 100 clear of #3!
Until this year, Garcia's serve always had a significant hitch. I'm not sure precisely when she fixed it, but in the span of a fairly short period of time, she turned a major liability into a major weapon. I respect that a lot because you don't see such a profound transformation for the better in one stroke too often.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

dryrunguy wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:29 pm ..

Until this year, Garcia's serve always had a significant hitch. I'm not sure precisely when she fixed it, but in the span of a fairly short period of time, she turned a major liability into a major weapon. I respect that a lot because you don't see such a profound transformation for the better in one stroke too often.
I don't recall that. Then again, I get to watch so little WTA that I would not know.
But this year, I saw her at least three times, and the serve was a good stroke. So, as you say, a major improvement.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

dryrunguy wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:29 pm
ashkor87 wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:24 pm Ace leaders this year are Garcia among the women, and, of course, Isner for the men - what is astonishing is how close FAA is to Isner, only 5 aces behind him! 895 versus 890.. Kyrgios is at #5 ..
I did not follow Garcia much so I don't know but I will go back and check YouTube ...it would be interesting to see when the improvement began...she was already ace leader by Wimbledon so must have been quite early in the year, or even last year
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

ashkor87 wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:01 am
dryrunguy wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:29 pm
I did not follow Garcia much so I don't know but I will go back and check YouTube ...it would be interesting to see when the improvement began...she was already ace leader by Wimbledon so must have been quite early in the year, or even last year
It won't take you long to see the difference. It's night and day.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

Isner played 40 matches. FAA played 81. Isner has twice as many aces per set. He's #1 in that category and FAA is #9. FWIW...
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Context, context, context. Indeed, those numbers matter.
Remember that Roger is very high up the list of aces. Because he had a very good serve (let's not forget about that) AND he played a lot of matches. So the ACE leader category comes with a long explanation.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Isner's sets tend to include more games than the sets that others play, because every set that Isner plays goes to a tiebreak :D .
(And the Wimbledon match vs. Mahut certainly helped to pad Isner's career aces statistic!)
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

meganfernandez wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:12 pm
Isner played 40 matches. FAA played 81. Isner has twice as many aces per set. He's #1 in that category and FAA is #9. FWIW...
you are right, one should not be astonished at how close FAA is to Isner, given that he played twice as many matches- but I do think it is amazing that FAA is at #2, ahead of Kyrgios, Hurkacz and so on...
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

He is a good server. Good power and control. I got to see him a few times during his fall streak, and he was hitting his corners.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

And now for the match we've been waiting all year for...

It's another gimmick, of course... but at least the organizers don't seem to take it very seriously, and realize that it's just a fun thing to do for the players to get a few swings in before the serious stuff starts...

What were they thinking with the court colour, though?! Surely they realize that video is kind of a popular thing today...
If they're going to use that colour of court, the least they could have done was use black balls...

R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower