The World of Style & Entertainment

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
JazzNU United States of America

Re: The World of Style & Entertainment

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:13 pm Folks are comparing this to the Super Bowl Half Time show from last night.
Were they? That's fairly riduclous to me. Maybe they truly thought it was, but I'd chalk it up to an extra dose of happiness about her performance since her hiatus from music has been so long.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Word on the street is that her vocal chords are shot so they were trying to cobble together some "new" music from her but in the end all we get is the lip synching to her past hits. Because of her pregnancy she couldn't move around too much so despite the ravings of her stans people were saying that Bruno Mars and Beyonce put on a better show and of course Prince got thrown in as the ne plus ultra of all Super Bowl Halftime Shows.

Her outfit was designed by an up and coming Irish designer Loewe.

Rihanna Wears Loewe, Alaïa for Super Bowl Halftime Performance in Glendale, Arizona
Rihanna returned to the live stage wearing a bespoke boiler suit with a red bodysuit and breastplate by the British designer Jonathan Anderson and a coat and gloves by Alaïa.

By
HIKMAT MOHAMMED
FEBRUARY 12, 2023, 9:14PM

LONDON — It’s Riri in Loewe red.

Rihanna may have changed her mind multiple times before performing at the Super Bowl halftime show — as of Thursday there were 39 versions of the set list — but she knew exactly which brands she wanted to wear: Loewe, Alaïa and Messika.

After seven years of tending to her Fenty brand, and welcoming a baby son with partner A$AP Rocky last May, Rihanna returned to the live stage at the Super Bowl halftime show wearing a bespoke boiler suit with a red bodysuit and breastplate by the British designer Jonathan Anderson.

The boiler suit was accessorised with three vintage diamond brooches from Joseph Saidian & Sons.

Rihanna also wore a pair of low sneakers from the MM6 Maison Margiela and Salomon collaboration.

Halfway through the performance, she added another layer — a floor length puffer coat with matching gloves from Alaia.

Rihanna’s Messika diamonds shined as she wore a red watch with an encrusted bezel.

The singer has previously worn Loewe Paula’s Ibiza sunglasses, but never a full ready-to-wear look collection publicly outside of fashion magazine shoots.

Riri red: The singer wore head to toe Loewe. VARIETY VIA GETTY IMAGES

The red number seemed to take inspiration from Loewe’s spring 2022 collection which featured a red turtleneck dress with a transparent red bodyplate in the middle of the chest and billowy silhouettes.

Rihanna performed at the State Farm Stadium in Glendale, Arizona, in front of a global audience estimated to be 100 million.

In her pre-game press conference with Apple Music Radio on Feb. 9, Rihanna did not reveal what she planned to wear, but she did talk about her priorities for the show.

Asked if she planned to incorporate any elements of Caribbean culture, the Barbadian singer said she’d be “representing for immigrants, representing for my country Barbados, representing for Black women everywhere. I think that’s really important. It’s key for people to see the possibilities, and I’m honored to be here doing this, this year.”

https://wwd.com/fashion-news/fashion-sc ... 235521386/
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Post by JazzNU »

Some of the best and most talked about ads (not mutually exclusive)

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Travolta looks great without his toupee. He should've ditched it a long time ago.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Alicia Silverstone was always a beauty.
But that she is more beautiful today than when she was 20 is kind of ridiculous.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

AS a teenager at the time, she stared in a few of my favorite music videos of the time (Aerosmith.) :)
:steven:
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

You mean: Liv Tyler and Alicia Silverstone in CRAZY?
nah, never saw it. NOT. ONE. SINGLE. TIME.
(And I was already hitting 30. Could not take my eyes off the TV)
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

And Cryin'. And Amazing. But yes, Crazy was the best one of all. And I'm younger than both of them so no shame here :)

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:47 pm Alicia Silverstone was always a beauty.
But that she is more beautiful today than when she was 20 is kind of ridiculous.

A ton of people on social media were suggesting that they digitally altered her to look that good. No, she just looks that good. I follow the designer on IG that updated the Clueless outfits for the commercial, and she's one of his best friends and his muse. So I've seen a ton of photos and video of her in recent years, she always looks amazing.
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

Might just be me inventing it, but seems like she's lived a fairly ... "natural" life? She's a well known vegan and don't remember hearing of any major incidents or drug/alcohol use. She's also somewhat infamous for her unorthodox parenting ways :)
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

ptmcmahon wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:36 am Might just be me inventing it, but seems like she's lived a fairly ... "natural" life? She's a well known vegan and don't remember hearing of any major incidents or drug/alcohol use. She's also somewhat infamous for her unorthodox parenting ways :)
The parenting things are indeed "not average".
She is a vegan activist. But, as I always say, that is a sample of 1. My GF has a vegan friend, with the entire family being vegan. She once was riding the bus (here in Bogota) and the bus fell on a pothole. She broke two vertebrae in her spine.
Since I can't care less about what other people eat, I don't look up stats on that. But, of course, we all know about the healthy vegans because they are prone to proselytizing. We don't hear about the ones that are not so healthy.
And anyway, Alicia is still only 46. Beautiful as always, but that is still an age in which many, many women still look amazing.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

I've been a vegan for 40 years - as long as I've been playing tennis - and I've never broken a bone in my body. I've also played hockey and baseball, and have been quite physically active over those 40 years - so plenty of opportunities for broken bones... but none broken, or even fractured.

I simply don't want to contribute to what can undeniably be deemed the torture, suffering, and death of animals simply for the sake of financial profit. And for anyone claiming that eating meat is 'natural'... well, today's factory farms are as far removed from nature as it's possible to be.
I've never seen any evidence that the bones of vegans are stronger or weaker than are those of meat eaters. There is, however, plenty of evidence that the fats in meat lead to poor health (and worse, in some cases).

“One farmer says to me, 'You cannot live on vegetable food solely, for it furnishes nothing to make bones with;' and so he religiously devotes a part of his day to supplying his system with the raw material of bones; walking all the while he talks behind his oxen, which, with vegetable-made bones, jerk him and his lumbering plow along in spite of every obstacle.” - Henry Thoreau.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

ti-amie wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:51 pm I was with Ponchi on this one. Thanks for clarifying the situation. I had no idea about Merle Oberan.
The family history there is... something

"For most of her life, Merle protected herself by concealing the truth about her parentage, claiming that she had been born in Tasmania, Australia,[5] and that her birth records had been destroyed in a fire.

She was raised as the daughter of Arthur Terrence O'Brien Thompson, a British mechanical engineer from Darlington who worked in Indian Railways[6] and his wife, Charlotte Selby, a Eurasian from Ceylon (present-day Sri Lanka). Her mother also had Māori ancestry.[7] However, according to her birth certificate, Merle's biological mother was Charlotte's then-12-year-old daughter, Constance. To avoid scandal, Charlotte raised Merle as Constance's half-sister.[1][8] Charlotte had herself given birth to Constance at the age of 14 as the result of rape by Henry Alfred Selby, the Anglo-Irish foreman of a tea plantation.[7]"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merle_Oberon

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

mmmm8 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:30 pm
ti-amie wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:51 pm I was with Ponchi on this one. Thanks for clarifying the situation. I had no idea about Merle Oberan.
The family history there is... something

"For most of her life, Merle protected herself by concealing the truth about her parentage, claiming that she had been born in Tasmania, Australia,[5] and that her birth records had been destroyed in a fire.

She was raised as the daughter of Arthur Terrence O'Brien Thompson, a British mechanical engineer from Darlington who worked in Indian Railways[6] and his wife, Charlotte Selby, a Eurasian from Ceylon (present-day Sri Lanka). Her mother also had Māori ancestry.[7] However, according to her birth certificate, Merle's biological mother was Charlotte's then-12-year-old daughter, Constance. To avoid scandal, Charlotte raised Merle as Constance's half-sister.[1][8] Charlotte had herself given birth to Constance at the age of 14 as the result of rape by Henry Alfred Selby, the Anglo-Irish foreman of a tea plantation.[7]"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merle_Oberon
Good grief!

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

This has been rumored for awhile now...