With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Our main board to talk about our sport
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Post by ponchi101 »

She is 27 yo. She is playing very good tennis, but time is not on her side. She has to get a couple of extra slams soon.
(She may get in via doubles, where she and Siniakova are in HOF territory).
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Ainsley United States of America

Post by Ainsley »

ponchi101 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:06 pm She is 27 yo. She is playing very good tennis, but time is not on her side. She has to get a couple of extra slams soon.
(She may get in via doubles, where she and Siniakova are in HOF territory).
If she is able to play till her mid 30's and picks up another singles slam and play consistent along that time period she should get in. The doubles should be easier for her.
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

ponchi101 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:18 pm The list is the list of wins by Iga, who obviously has only lost twice to Krejcikova.
About Barbora being an automatic HOF. Not yet. I think.
If it's not automatic yet, it's getting really close. She's already in double digits in Grand Slam titles, and only 27.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

If you include doubles and mixed, that has indeed been accomplished.
But I was thinking more about her singles. In doubles, she is already a HOF. Singles is what is missing a little bit.
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

ponchi101 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:56 pm If you include doubles and mixed, that has indeed been accomplished.
But I was thinking more about her singles. In doubles, she is already a HOF. Singles is what is missing a little bit.
Okay. The tweet that Ti posted covered all of her career so that's why I was surprised that you were questioning her likelihood of being in the Hall of Fame.

Post by Ainsley »

skatingfan wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:44 am
ponchi101 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:18 pm The list is the list of wins by Iga, who obviously has only lost twice to Krejcikova.
About Barbora being an automatic HOF. Not yet. I think.
If it's not automatic yet, it's getting really close. She's already in double digits in Grand Slam titles, and only 27.
I still think she has plenty of time to accomplish this goal even just with what she does in her singles career. She has proven that she can beat the top players at the top events so she can get more Slams under her belt.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

i must say, I really dont like Alcaraz' serving motion - it is more of a half-swing than a full swing, too abbreviated, he will suffer injuries over time because of it
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I will pay more attention next time. I wonder why it is that way, as Ferrero had an excellent service motion.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

They showed the match again, and was able to check Carlitos's motion.
It is not that abbreviated ;) . He does not bring the racquet too low (ala Sampras or Edberg) but from a standard "racquet above the shoulder" position he generates good power. The grip seems relaxed, to there might not be a lot of stress on the arm.
We'll see. He is not crushing serves at 135, so I don't know how much stress he is putting on the joints.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Thanks Ashkor and ponchi. This is definitely something to pay attention to.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Post by Ainsley »

Could someone tell me how the particular motion you are all talking about with Carlos could put more stress on the joints than any other particular service motion that is used by another player?
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I will give you another example. Not Carlos.
Remember a few years ago, Novak retired at Wimbledon due to a shoulder injury. His service motion was (maybe) the culprit. It was too cramped, and Goran seems to have worked very nicely on that, making it more elongated.
I believe (I will let Ashkor clarify) that what Ashkor is saying is that Carlitos' motion is too short in the backswing. Therefore, before he starts stretching to hit the ball, he has to accelerate faster than usual because his arm is still up, and he needs to bring it down and up again.
Sampras motion was the opposite. He would drop his racquet head DOWN onto his back, and from there he would spring it back to hit the ball. His racquet was prepared "earlier", so he did not need to have brisk moves to reach the ball. No jerky motions led to a smooth swing, and Sampras never had any shoulder/elbow problems in his serving arm (a surprising fact, give how heavy and tightly strung his racquet was).

Exception: Roddick. He had a very compact motion. But his racquet did a lot of the work, so he also never had arms issues.

Post by Ainsley »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:12 pm I will give you another example. Not Carlos.
Remember a few years ago, Novak retired at Wimbledon due to a shoulder injury. His service motion was (maybe) the culprit. It was too cramped, and Goran seems to have worked very nicely on that, making it more elongated.
I believe (I will let Ashkor clarify) that what Ashkor is saying is that Carlitos' motion is too short in the backswing. Therefore, before he starts stretching to hit the ball, he has to accelerate faster than usual because his arm is still up, and he needs to bring it down and up again.
Sampras motion was the opposite. He would drop his racquet head DOWN onto his back, and from there he would spring it back to hit the ball. His racquet was prepared "earlier", so he did not need to have brisk moves to reach the ball. No jerky motions led to a smooth swing, and Sampras never had any shoulder/elbow problems in his serving arm (a surprising fact, give how heavy and tightly strung his racquet was).

Exception: Roddick. He had a very compact motion. But his racquet did a lot of the work, so he also never had arms issues.
So it is that extra reach jerky motion that could put extra strain on a shoulder or elbow? If a player tends to keep a more fluid service motion than those issues may not come?
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Anything that is jerky will put strain on whatever it is jerking. F = MA, but Kinetic Energy = 1/2 mass times velocity square. So, if you have a bit of a longer ride to reach the same velocity in your racquet head, the forces in your arm will be smoother.

Post by Ainsley »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:00 am Anything that is jerky will put strain on whatever it is jerking. F = MA, but Kinetic Energy = 1/2 mass times velocity square. So, if you have a bit of a longer ride to reach the same velocity in your racquet head, the forces in your arm will be smoother.
Sign Carlos Alcaraz up for a Physics Class. :D