With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Our main board to talk about our sport
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: Tennis Random, Random

Post by ponchi101 »

And remember that Serena has played entire years in which she played very few tournaments (in comparison to others). Add to that that many of her Slams were in the 2000's, and you see why she is shy of $100MM.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:43 pm And remember that Serena has played entire years in which she played very few tournaments (in comparison to others). Add to that that many of her Slams were in the 2000's, and you see why she is shy of $100MM.
Yeah. It's really quite shocking, though. Djokovic has 50% more than her. (Is that right? Or is it one-third? She has 2/3s of his total, but he has an extra 1/2 of hers. Sorry I just ruined this with maths.)
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

It goes both ways. Your explanation stands. And no, you did NOT ruin it with math :)
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Not really that shocking though. Remember, in addition to there not being equal prize money, there have been substantial increases in prize money in the last decade. Take into account her managing her injuries, illness, and managing her schedule over the last decade when those increases took place, it's not as surprising.

First time Serena won Aussie Open in 2003 - Prize money $556,534

First time Novak won Aussie Open in 2008 - Prize money $1,370,000

Also, consider, the male champion in 2003 was Andre Agassi. So, so long ago. His prize money was $657,087
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Exactly, that's why past champions are nowhere to be found on lists like this. This year will be difficult to add much with prize money greatly reduced except at Slams.

For example, it has been reported that 2021 Miami prize money will be reduced from 16.7 million in 2019 to only 6.68 million this year and of course Indian Wells is not held at all. The prominence of Slams as far as finances are concerned is much more than usual.

Post by meganfernandez »

Suliso wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:05 pm Exactly, that's why past champions are nowhere to be found on lists like this. This year will be difficult to add much with prize money greatly reduced except at Slams.

For example, it has been reported that 2021 Miami prize money will be reduced from 16.7 million in 2019 to only 6.68 million this year and of course Indian Wells is not held at all. The prominence of Slams as far as finances are concerned is much more than usual.
Which is why players did whatever they had to to play the Australian. Except Roger. And why it would really suck even worse to miss the cut by 1 spot or lose in the last round of qualifying.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Petra Kvitova with 28 WTA titles is third among active players on tour. I would have guessed Halep being #3...
the Moz Canada

Post by the Moz »

Serena 73
Venus 49
Kvitova 28
Halep 22
Azarenka 21
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock:
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Huh. Given how good she is on both clay and hard courts, you'd think Sveta had enough titles to be listed since she's still an active player. She must have just a ton of runner-up trophies in her house since she's missing from this Top 5 list.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

There is a reason why she never reached #1. She has 18 titles.
Fastbackss United States of America

Post by Fastbackss »

Due to the signature every post by the Moz is amazing...because I think it's commentary on the content

Post by meganfernandez »

Help me obsesses about something I shouldn't! :) In dubs yesterday, one opponent stood with her foot on the T when her partner returned. Legal, and I think you see this in the pros. But I can't imagine a reason other than to mess with the opponent, distract them and bait them to go down the T too close to a target (her stupid foot). Of course, i just wanted to nail her foot or her leg. To me, that's gamesmanship even if it is legal. Legal doesn't mean your intention is sporting. Once the serve was in, she shifted left away from the center line, so it's not like the T is where she wanted to play from. Total cheap move in my opinion - especially in USTA. She was a total sweetie otherwise and even gave me a Band-Aid, so I couldn't hate her.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

All your posts are just the perfect reminder of why I stopped playing leagues so long ago. Yes, that is a total jerk move, especially in a social context. Don't hate her, indeed, but do avoid her. I would.
Terrible story:
I walked into the club and reached the courts area. A weekend match with another club is going on, on the women's side. Things are already very heated, as the match was not being played amicably. The club's pro comes to me and asks me if I would mind refereeing the match that is going on. Just then, something happens on the court, and one of the women (our club) asks one of the players what the score is. Not even trying to drop her voice, that woman replies: "I could tell you what the score is if this f****** b**** were not cheating every point". It was completely audible.
I told the pro, who was my friend: "They are calling each other FB. There is no way I get on that chair; they will pluck my eyes out the moment I call a line".
Never even came close to playing matches again, at any level. I had stopped years before but there was no need for the aggravation.
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

Given the way the rules of tennis are written it's amazing that more servers don't try to hit the net player - aim for the chest & there's a good chance they don't get completely out of the way.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

PSA: Attention all players. DO NOT, REPEAT, DO NOT GET ON A COURT WITH SKATINGFAN. Not without some good life insurance.
I want you on my team ;)