With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Our main board to talk about our sport
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Post by ti-amie »

Maybe the Chinese are really serious about selling tennis to their populace? They've just released a TV drama centered on the sport.
Nothing But You

Song Sang Chuan (Leo Wu) is a budding tennis player in his twenties. He used to play badminton, but has recently turned his attention to tennis after his career stalled. Liang You An (Zhu Yu Tong), meanwhile, is a professional woman in her thirties. Her own career has also taken an unexpected turn – and she decides to take up tennis at a new club in a bid to make a change in her life. She happens to join the same club as Song Sang Chuan…
It's on the Asian focused streaming app Viki.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Has anyone ever noticed that Gauff hits her forehand and backhand with the same side of the racquet (strings)?
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Fastbackss United States of America

Post by Fastbackss »

I have noticed that before. I have wanted to check out her "handwork" and that's part of the reason why (the other why her forehand takes so long to develop)
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

Muguruza has announced that she will be skipping the clay and grass court seasons to spend time with family.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Yeah, I saw that. Seems like a good move for her. She's been very, very quiet on Instagram, which is the opposite of her normal, so along with not playing lately, I had a feeling she was going to announce she was either retiring or taking some time off.

Can't post her announcement because it's on IG Stories for some reason, not a regular post, but she might eventually put something there as well and I'll post it if she does.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Let's hope there is nothing wrong with anybody in her family.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Kaja Juvan stepping away from tennis to grieve the loss of her father.

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

We have seen the same mechanics with other players. Seles and Anisimova come to mind.
Take her time, return when she feels like it.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Having lost both my parents less than one year apart a couple of years ago, I hope I see Kaja at a tournament this year and have the opportunity to talk with her.
There are no absolute or universal answers on how to handle the death of your parents, but just sharing thoughts and common experiences can be a positive thing (for both parties).
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I think Tiafoe pissed Serena off once too and for the same reason.

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

How about the opposite? The doubles players that want to play the qualies or main draws of tournaments? Would that be bad then?

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Fastbackss United States of America

Post by Fastbackss »

I just listened to interview with Reilly Opelka (Shapiro) and he had some pointed comments on doubles. Needs to be blown up as is - had a suggestion of a format that for most tournaments is just 3 days.
Said it doesn't justify the costs and that go into it (for lesser tournaments like 250's) and that doesn't sell tickets.

Not saying I agree but it was interesting to hear his opinion (on many subjects, frankly). Was a good listen
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Doubles was doomed when they went to the idiotic new scoring system 15 or so years ago.
At the time, I asked many of the doubles players what they thought of the new scoring, and to a person, they all said they hated it.

At the same time, I had an hour long discussion with Gayle Bradshaw (head of ATP officiating) about the new doubles scoring (and about HawkEye/ShotSpot), and he was saying that the new doubles scoring will bring big name singles players like Nadal and Federer into playing doubles. I told him that's total BS - that those guys will play doubles for a couple of token months because Bradshaw would ask them to, then they'd disappear. And that's exactly what happened, of course - it was very predictable.

It's a damned shame, because doubles was a lot of fun in the '70s and '80s, with a lot of top players - both men and women - taking genuine pride in their doubles game.
R.I.P. Amal...