Science/Techno Babble Random, Random

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
Suliso Latvia

Re: Science/Techno Babble Random, Random

Post by Suliso »

Yeah, I understand you about South America. I didn't mean exclusively Switzerland, though. Latvia and US (two other countries I have lived in) seem to be doing fine jobs wise too. In Latvia in particular it's difficult for companies to find somewhat qualified employees. Granted I'm talking about people in their 40-ties and younger.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Kevin Beaumont
@GossiTheDog@cyberplace.social
Did you know Tesla has cameras both on the outside of vehicles and the inside, and everything is uploaded to Tesla? Anyhoo they’ve been exporting the videos, making memes of customers and then posting them on chat rooms. https://www.reuters.com/technology/tesla-w

If he's doing this with his cars what is he doing with the Dogecoin app?
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Once you hit your 50's here in the States you're considered obsolete.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Taking jobs from people is FAR, FAR from the only problem that AI will create...
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

ti-amie wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:13 pm Kevin Beaumont
@GossiTheDog@cyberplace.social
Did you know Tesla has cameras both on the outside of vehicles and the inside, and everything is uploaded to Tesla? Anyhoo they’ve been exporting the videos, making memes of customers and then posting them on chat rooms. https://www.reuters.com/technology/tesla-w

If he's doing this with his cars what is he doing with the Dogecoin app?
Link was broken, here's the correct one: https://www.reuters.com/technology/tesl ... 023-04-06/

Pretty disgusting.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

ti-amie wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:14 pm Once you hit your 50's here in the States you're considered obsolete.
It's worldwide.
A good friend working for a major oil company is telling me they will not consider anybody above 45. In France.
But, of course, the HR department wants people with 25 years experience.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

Interestingly, Mexico is about to pass a law that will require that 5% of employees be 60+
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

That is odd.
But it is schizoid here in L. America. Down here, the main problem is YOUTH employment. The salaries are miserable.
In reality, we suck at generating jobs. The entire continent.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

We have a fair number of employees in their 50-ties and early 60-ties, BUT those are folks who've worked here all their lives. Virtually all new hiring is people in their 20-ties and 30-ties.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

In Latvia (maybe in Switzerland too) there is an unrealistic expectation that straight after university you'll be earning similar to your parents. Not happening unless you come from a poor family.

As for South America there is poor education and lack of ambition. I think that's why Asian immigrants in US and EU tend to do better.
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

Suliso wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:38 am In Latvia (maybe in Switzerland too) there is an unrealistic expectation that straight after university you'll be earning similar to your parents. Not happening unless you come from a poor family.

As for South America there is poor education and lack of ambition. I think that's why Asian immigrants in US and EU tend to do better.
What is that assumption based on? This has not been my experience working with or knowing people from South America.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

As a S. American.
I can guarantee that my HS education was far better than anything in the USA (I would not know about Europe). For example, we get (got?) math from 1st grade in ELEMENTARY school. I got set theory by 4th grade (elementary), and my nephew (recently graduated from HS) was dealing with polynomials in what would be the equivalent of sophomore year.
In HS, in sophomore, junior and senior years math, physics and chemistry were mandatory in my age, and at least math and physics still are (in Venezuela). If you are inclined for the humanities you will get all the art and literature that you want, and more. I had to read, before graduating, at least one book each from Garcia Marquez, Vargas Llosas, Sabato, Cortazar and at least the Venezuelan classics (authors you would not know about). For the arts, I was versed in the Rennaissance, the Gothic and modern art well before finishing HS. Plus music.
Our universities produce fine professionals; sure, we may not be at the cutting edge of space technology but the foundations are solid. My nephew, once again as an example, is studying engineering, and currently dealing with AutoCAD. It seems the curriculum is thorough.
And about our lack of ambition: people with no ambition do not cross the entire central American isthmus, on foot, to reach the USA, if they have no ambitions. Sure, there is poor education in that it is not accessible to everybody and it fluctuates wildly, but it is not as if our people cannot learn. As much as I speak poorly of Vennieland and S. America, I will not go that far.

And people here are not expecting to get the salary of a 15 year professional straight out of college. What they are asking for is more than the $350/MONTH that is an average introduction salary here (Colombia, it is worse in Vennieland). That is what the young people are asking for.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

mmmm8 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 3:17 pm
Suliso wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:38 am In Latvia (maybe in Switzerland too) there is an unrealistic expectation that straight after university you'll be earning similar to your parents. Not happening unless you come from a poor family.

What is that assumption based on? This has not been my experience working with or knowing people from South America.
No data, just that in my profession (both in US and Switzerland) South Americans are very rare there as Indians and Chinese very common. It says nothing at all about high school education.

Maybe in some other profession it's different. I didn't mean to imply that people down there are stupid.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 3:55 pm As a S. American.
I can guarantee that my HS education was far better than anything in the USA (I would not know about Europe). For example, we get (got?) math from 1st grade in ELEMENTARY school. I got set theory by 4th grade (elementary), and my nephew (recently graduated from HS) was dealing with polynomials in what would be the equivalent of sophomore year.
In HS, in sophomore, junior and senior years math, physics and chemistry were mandatory in my age, and at least math and physics still are (in Venezuela). If you are inclined for the humanities you will get all the art and literature that you want, and more. I had to read, before graduating, at least one book each from Garcia Marquez, Vargas Llosas, Sabato, Cortazar and at least the Venezuelan classics (authors you would not know about). For the arts, I was versed in the Rennaissance, the Gothic and modern art well before finishing HS. Plus music.

FWIW, I'm not sure how your HS education was far better than what many get in the US. Nothing listed outside of the studying of art theory was that different than my own HS education and that of similar school districts to mine. The biggest difference will be in the kinds of literature read.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

How much math/chemistry/physics did you get in HS? I recall that my college buddies had not gotten as much as I had, hence my statement. But I guess I stand corrected.