With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

Tennis Related - Off Court Serious Issues

Our main board to talk about our sport
skatingfan Canada

Re: Tennis Related - Off Court Serious Issues

Post by skatingfan »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:33 pm Ok. I thought that even if you were on breaks, the WADA regulations were still in place.
The regulations are, but you have to get caught. Out of competition tests are performed by the national anti-doping agency in which the athlete trains, and they tend to focus more on their own athletes than foreign athletes.
texasniteowl

Post by texasniteowl »

mmmm8 wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:52 pm I read that as he was self-harming (cutting).
That was how I read it too.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I read it as self harm as well. IV drug use would render him totally useless on a tennis court. My guess is he's on some powerful antipsychotic meds right now and I wonder how well he'll be able to play while using them.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
atlpam United States of America

Post by atlpam »

texasniteowl wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:09 am
mmmm8 wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:52 pm I read that as he was self-harming (cutting).
That was how I read it too.
Co-sign - cutting was my first thought when I read it.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Not sure this firs here but..
apropos no russian players at Queens - I remember players like Nadal never played Queens either but for a tax reason - apparently, UK taxes them on their worldwide earnings, applying a percentage based on how many weeks they spent in the UK...
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

ashkor87 wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 4:24 am Not sure this firs here but..
apropos no russian players at Queens - I remember players like Nadal never played Queens either but for a tax reason - apparently, UK taxes them on their worldwide earnings, applying a percentage based on how many weeks they spent in the UK...
No. That was a plan by the British Government and it was scrapped before being implemented because almost all sports would suffer from no-shows due to the tax issue. The F1 GP, several track meets, lots of cricket events, and the entire UK tennis and golf tournaments circuit was going to be avoided by foreign athletes.
And about Nadal and Queens: remember that Queens moved its dates by one week, and before that, Rafa was usually busy on the Sunday before the start of the tournament ;)
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

still no word on Russian and Belarusians being given visas ot not.. I would not put it past the tournament officials to have told the government not to give them visas, they dont want their precious princess to be handing out a trophy to one of 'them'. but still hide behind the fig leaf of a government decision.. let us see what happens.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

But, where are you reading that the UK government will withhold visas to Russians or Belarusians? Is there any news about that?
BTW, I once tried to apply for a UK visa (since Venezuela has become a nation of migrants, we are required such). It takes, for regular people like me, about a full month to get a visa because you have to hand over the passport and it has to be sent PHYSICALLY to the UK for the visa to be stamped. And, the application form is something straight out of BRAZIL (THE MOVIE). For example: they ask you to list ALL THE COUNTRIES, with the dates, that you have visited IN YOUR LIFE. Imagine that for a player like Medvedev or Sabalenka. How do you even start?

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ashkor87 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 3:00 pm still no word on Russian and Belarusians being given visas ot not.. I would not put it past the tournament officials to have told the government not to give them visas, they dont want their precious princess to be handing out a trophy to one of 'them'. but still hide behind the fig leaf of a government decision.. let us see what happens.
I find the Brits being selective regarding Russian nationals a bit "ironic" when Russian nationals own sizable chunks of very expensive London real estate and Boris made the son of an oligarch a peer.

As you say we'll see.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Here's the blacked out statement.

Anyone know what Gasanova said?
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

That is very petty, from Simon.
I just don't like the guy.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:54 pm That is very petty, from Simon.
Get in line bub. He's just about disappeared the WTA and that is so not cool.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

ti-amie wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:22 pm
ashkor87 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 3:00 pm still no word on Russian and Belarusians being given visas ot not.. I would not put it past the tournament officials to have told the government not to give them visas, they dont want their precious princess to be handing out a trophy to one of 'them'. but still hide behind the fig leaf of a government decision.. let us see what happens.
I find the Brits being selective regarding Russian nationals a bit "ironic" when Russian nationals own sizable chunks of very expensive London real estate and Boris made the son of an oligarch a peer.

As you say we'll see.
British governments have always cared a lot about being 'seemly'... how things look.
patrick United States of America

Post by patrick »

Simon was missing as usual when the WTA doubles had incidents from Madrid (Speechgate) and Roland Garros (Bloodgate)
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:54 pm That is very petty, from Simon.
I just don't understand what is gained, besides bad PR.