With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

TENNIS PLAYERS (Off-Court Shenanigans)

Our main board to talk about our sport
mmmm8

Re: TENNIS PLAYERS (Off-Court Shenanigans)

Post by mmmm8 »

ti-amie wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:24 am

I thought she had a broken bone or something in her back?
Father-in-law? Let's all slow down
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Indeed.
Has anybody ever heard of summer romances? Or, what happens with a person very close to me: she has what we call "the love of my life - of the month" syndrome.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Netflix cameras following Andreeva around ..she is just a kid, wish they would leave her alone .
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ashkor87 wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 1:53 am Netflix cameras following Andreeva around ..she is just a kid, wish they would leave her alone .
Do we know who determines the players that show profiles?
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Muchova

meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ashkor87 wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 1:53 am Netflix cameras following Andreeva around ..she is just a kid, wish they would leave her alone .
Yeah, that's crazy. I wish her management or coaches had better sense. I'm sure Coco could have been in the Netflix show, don't you think? Just listen to Raducanu saying that sometimes she wishes she had never won the US Open (which is also a crazy thing to say, but she's young and her life changed overnight). I don't think Raducanu should ever regret anything she did or has done since, but to chase fame at Andreeva's stage seems ill-advised.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

There is no way Andreeva was going to escape that. Very young, she is pretty, signed with Nike, perhaps a future face of the sport.
And, SM will drive these things. This is her way to get a higher profile. Plus help her financial situation.
I'm in the middle. As long as the cameras are focusing on her tennis, do it. Anything else, it can get tricky in a hurry.

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 3:06 pm There is no way Andreeva was going to escape that. Very young, she is pretty, signed with Nike, perhaps a future face of the sport.
And, SM will drive these things. This is her way to get a higher profile. Plus help her financial situation.
I'm in the middle. As long as the cameras are focusing on her tennis, do it. Anything else, it can get tricky in a hurry.
I don't know, having a constant reminder that you're important and people are watching and a network is invested in you has to change things and has to divert her focus to an extent. I can't imagine the benefit other than short-term financial. Maybe she'll prove me wrong, but it doesn't pass the smell test of wisdom to me.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I agree that this is not wise, but this is the modern way. This has the potential, for every young player, to be "Jennifer Capriati 2.0" at any time, on steroids. Capriati "only" had to deal with TV and tabloids; this new generation has to deal with 5-6 SM platforms, and the obvious abuse and scrutiny that will bring.
It is the new way. We may not agree with it, but that is the way this new generation handles fame.
We will see if Andreeva will be affected negatively.

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 4:37 pm I agree that this is not wise, but this is the modern way. This has the potential, for every young player, to be "Jennifer Capriati 2.0" at any time, on steroids. Capriati "only" had to deal with TV and tabloids; this new generation has to deal with 5-6 SM platforms, and the obvious abuse and scrutiny that will bring.
It is the new way. We may not agree with it, but that is the way this new generation handles fame.
We will see if Andreeva will be affected negatively.
They might be following her around just in case she has a big breakthrough (or breakdown) - something worthy for the next season. As I said below, I bet they follow a lot of players and choose only certain storylines.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Meanwhile...

Good photographer and puberty is just about done with him now.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

He still needs to use clearskin. I refuse to buy ANYTHING this boy man endorses ;)
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

meganfernandez wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 1:25 pm
Yeah, that's crazy. I wish her management or coaches had better sense. I'm sure Coco could have been in the Netflix show, don't you think? Just listen to Raducanu saying that sometimes she wishes she had never won the US Open (which is also a crazy thing to say, but she's young and her life changed overnight). I don't think Raducanu should ever regret anything she did or has done since, but to chase fame at Andreeva's stage seems ill-advised.
I'm finally getting around to fully reading Sampras's autobiography co-written with Pete Bodo and Sampras says something similar about his first US Open. That, while he only means it in a certain says, but he was too young and it made his maturation as a player longer.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

mmmm8 wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 1:24 am
meganfernandez wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 1:25 pm
I'm finally getting around to fully reading Sampras's autobiography co-written with Pete Bodo and Sampras says something similar about his first US Open. That, while he only means it in a certain says, but he was too young and it made his maturation as a player longer.
Haven't read it yet..is it any good? As good as Agassi's? Sharapova's was pretty lifeless, I thought ..
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Meanwhile, Wozniacki is planning to come back from retirement.. playing Montreal first, then maybe the USO!