With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

TENNIS PLAYERS (Off-Court Shenanigans)

Our main board to talk about our sport
ashkor87 India

Re: TENNIS PLAYERS (Off-Court Shenanigans)

Post by ashkor87 »

Edberg was said to be the most boring person ever...
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I do not mind boring person. I loved the spectacular player, the guy that could hit a volley winner from a ball that was at his shoelaces.
But sure, reading a bio on Edberg might be like reading a recipe for Swedish meatballs. Not going to make me salivate.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

So far, in addition to this, I've read Agassi's, Blake's, Murray's and Sharapova's. Agassi is the best by far (co-written with J.R Moehringer). Blake's was very good as well (co-written with Andrew Friedman. Andrew's ghostwritten a lot of chef autobiographies). All were very readable (Sharapova's was co-written with Rich Cohen), although Murray's was pre-mature and badly edited - sounded like an idea from Judy or his agents early in his career. Someone had asked me to buy it for them and I ended up reading it on a plane before handing it over, so it was engaging at least.. Murray didn't list a co-writer, but if I had to guess, it'd by Judy :)

I have Arthur Ashe's book, which I think I picked up for a couple dollars at a used book store, on my to-be-read shelves. But it's not his memoir (Days of Grace) but his book on tennis strategy, On Tennis.
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

There's, "Martina and Chrissy, the great rivalry in sports", which wasn't bad, had some insights. Monica put a book out as well that wasn't awful. Sampras did little in his book that wasn't touched by the privilege of money and resources.
Last edited by Owendonovan on Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

I have Ashe's biography but haven't made it very far, mostly because it's just so darn heavy. I met the author at the US Open in media seats the year it came out. He introduced himself as a writer of "definitive biographies." Said he spent 9 years on Ashe.

Post by Owendonovan »

"Definitive" huh, I'd have been embarrassed for him for defining his writing that way.

Post by meganfernandez »

Owendonovan wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:54 pm "Definitive" huh, I'd have been embarrassed for him for defining his writing that way.
He was pretty definitive about it. :) Doesn't lack confidence. I'm surprised he hasn't added it to his Wikipedia page. He's a professor and historian with a concentration in the civil rights era. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raymond_Arsenault

He was a blast to talk to during a match. He made Ashe sound like a sex machine, though, telling stories about him and Beverly Johnson. Maybe he was. I just remember thinking it was an odd thing to bring up.

Post by Owendonovan »

meganfernandez wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 1:04 pm
Owendonovan wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:54 pm "Definitive" huh, I'd have been embarrassed for him for defining his writing that way.
He was pretty definitive about it. :) Doesn't lack confidence. I'm surprised he hasn't added it to his Wikipedia page. He's a professor and historian with a concentration in the civil rights era. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raymond_Arsenault

He was a blast to talk to during a match. He made Ashe sound like a sex machine, though, telling stories about him and Beverly Johnson. Maybe he was. I just remember thinking it was an odd thing to bring up.
He was hitting on you........

Post by meganfernandez »

Owendonovan wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 1:13 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 1:04 pm

He was hitting on you........
It didn't seem like it, but in retrospect, it was maybe a bit lacivious, given our ages.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

ti-amie wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 5:41 pm
Can't open for me.
TWT remains a mystery.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Roger goes to COLDPLAY concerts? :cry: :cry: :cry: