With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

'23 Wimbledon Day 2 OoP & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: '23 Wimbledon Day 2 OoP & Discussion

Post by ponchi101 »

skatingfan wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 4:26 pm
ashkor87 wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 4:16 pm Murray about to win a bagel set..a sign of how much W has slowed down..it was inconceivable in the old days...a server could always win a game or two...
1980 Wimbledon Men's Singles - 13 bagel sets
2022 Wimbledon Men's Singles - 8 bagel sets

I think the issue here is that Peniston is only winning 32% of his 2nd serve points.
That's a very interesting statistic. I am actually surprised.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

All matches listed as suspended, outside of CC and C1.
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

Looks like they're looking to move Halys vs Evans, and Zapata Miralles vs Etcheverry to the two covered courts after the current matches are finished.
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 5:05 pm That's a very interesting statistic. I am actually surprised.
I think that statistic speaks to the increased depth of the sport now.
jazzyg United States of America

Post by jazzyg »

Some impressions from a day when I was not constantly changing channels to watch the best match:

1) Ons Jabeur is insanely talented. She does not have the shot discipline to reach her full potential, but the idea she was a flash in the pan when reaching those two slam finals last year is absurd to me. Her variety is exquisite. sI'd much rather watch her play on grass than Rybakina, Sabalenka and Swiatek and would love to see her win, although it is very unlikely this year.

2) Rybakina's first match at Wimbledon was very similar to Swiatek's first match last week. She struggled in the first set, but once she found her footing, it was a beatdown for the final two sets. Her serve is exponentially better than anyone else on the women's tour right now.

3) Sabalenka, my pick to win the tournament before it started, was scratchy today but certainly can win it if she serves well and does not have bad patches of errors because her power, as anyone can see, is second to none. For the sake of my Green Acres team, I want her to win, but it would be hard for her to beat Rybakina and Swiatek back to back. She likely will need some help from other players taking at least one of them out and is no lock to even get there considering her draw.

4) The third set of the Evans-Halys match was incredibly well played and highly entertaining. Probably few people watched it, but their match was why I now like men's tennis on grass better than any other surface. Unless two big servers are facing off, the variety of shot is much greater on grass than clay or hard courts with off pace shots mixed in frequently.

5) That quarter with Andy Murray in it is truly wide open. There are about 10 players with a real shot to get to the semis, including Murray, although he would not be my pick.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

You have to give Murray the upper hand against either Stefanos or Thiem, who will be his next opponent.
I still want to see how Muchova plays her first match before deciding who gets to the final in the bottom half.
Irena2 United States of America

Post by Irena2 »

jazzyg wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:54 pm Some impressions from a day when I was not constantly changing channels to watch the best match:

4) The third set of the Evans-Halys match was incredibly well played and highly entertaining. Probably few people watched it, but their match was why I now like men's tennis on grass better than any other surface. Unless two big servers are facing off, the variety of shot is much greater on grass than clay or hard courts with off pace shots mixed in frequently.

motobass and I watched that set. It was outstanding!