With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Our main board to talk about our sport
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Post by ti-amie »

I think the NBA does something similar.

I sincerely doubt player #120, unless he or she are coming back from injury, are getting huge appearance fees.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
nelslus United States of America

Post by nelslus »

ti-amie wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:41 pm I think the NBA does something similar.

I sincerely doubt player #120, unless he or she are coming back from injury, are getting huge appearance fees.
I mean, if you have a hugely popular player- particularly in their country- like Emma or Nishikori at #120- I get that they don't exactly need the extra $'s. Nevertheless- I think this is, at least, a step in the right direction. We'll have to see how this all plays out.
Nelslus Revised TAT Signature Currently Under Repair. :gorgeous:
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ti-amie wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:41 pm I think the NBA does something similar.

Maybe not huge but maybe SOME at small events in their home country.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Maybe don't lie about a situation and get a player DQ'd? She's at the Find Out part of FAFO.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ti-amie wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:03 pm Maybe don't lie about a situation and get a player DQ'd? She's at the Find Out part of FAFO.
I don't have a lot of sympathy for her and SST. I'm sure there are some dimensions to this that weren't obvious to fans. Maybe they weren't laughing at the default, maybe the referee assured them the default was warranted. But I don't buy for a second that SST wasn't lobbying for Kato to be punished further when she pointed out that the girl was crying. It did not appear to before the girl's sake, like, "Hey, someone should check on the ballgirl," It was accusatory--"Look what they did!" Bouzkova's cavalier attitude about their default - "that's life"-- betrays a lack of compassion. Maybe she has to be that competitive to be an elite athlete. She's not exactly believable when she says she wouldn't have wished for Kato to be defaulted. That appears to be exactly what SST, at least, wanted.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Did they both behave like jerks, and in an unsportswomanlike fashion? You bet.
Should the WTA have done something? I say yes.
Should Bouzkova be harassed online? One step too much for my taste.

Then again. I contradict myself frequently because if you are online, this stuff happens. Don't like it? Leave. Nobody is forcing you to be there.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by nelslus »

Not disagreeing with everyone/anyone here. Obviously, this was a really bad moment for Bouzkova and SST. In general- I would not mind at all if the tours requested from the players to butt out from conferring with umpires about decisions to be made concerning their opponents- except in truly egregious situations. These ain't the first players calling for the defaults for their opponents. In this case, Bouzkova and SST should have also had the common courtesy of realizing that this was not the time to have a chuckle for any reason.

Criticizing Bouzkova and SST, even strongly, makes sense. Support the ball kid, sure. But, butt out of anything else- unless they had seen clearly that an opponent had slugged a ball that hits anyone.

But, I am not going to get behind any situation that inevitably leads to social media mass mob bullying, especially when it comes to women, people of color, etc. Too many cowards and evil people will take any excuse to jump on the bandwagon and vent their misogyny, hatred, calls for violence, etc. It all always goes WAY too far.

Post by nelslus »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:46 pm Did they both behave like jerks, and in an unsportswomanlike fashion? You bet.
Should the WTA have done something? I say yes.
Should Bouzkova be harassed online? One step too much for my taste.

Then again. I contradict myself frequently because if you are online, this stuff happens. Don't like it? Leave. Nobody is forcing you to be there.
But no one should have to leave social media due to mass bullying, either. (*Again, not disagreeing with your main points. :) )

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I think that if both she and SST had been less cavalier in their response to the situation with Bouzkova issuing a word salad response that can be summed up as saying "whatever".

Don't forget her peers also called both she and SST out for their behavior as well. I have very little sympathy for her. Make your bed hard, you've got to lay in it.

Post by nelslus »

ti-amie wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:00 pm I think that if both she and SST had been less cavalier in their response to the situation with Bouzkova issuing a word salad response that can be summed up as saying "whatever".

Don't forget her peers also called both she and SST out for their behavior as well. I have very little sympathy for her. Make your bed hard, you've got to lay in it.
In all life situations-folks just don't get- it's far, far better to just say you are sorry- even deeply sorry. Explanations here ain't gonna help. Talk amongst your friends if you need to vent about your side of things- and, perhaps, Bouzkova has some points to be made about the situation? But, PR 101 would indicate, keep all of that to yourself.

But, again- this all has gone too far. And, their peers, or anyone, are not going to post that, hey, everyone, enough already, stop, and show support against the hatred. Because no one is going to want the mob going after them.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Like nelslus says a simple "I'm sorry" would have solved this problem. Online bullying is horrific, you can't spend a lot of time online and not see how the victims of online bullying are affected but again, this is a self made problem for her and SST.

Post by nelslus »

ti-amie wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:16 pm Like nelslus says a simple "I'm sorry" would have solved this problem. Online bullying is horrific, you can't spend a lot of time online and not see how the victims of online bullying are affected but again, this is a self made problem for her and SST.
BUT- how much objectionable stuff goes on with tennis (and all sports, and life)- and never gets found out by the internet trolls? Them being in a really bad situation during one tennis match is a self-made problem. Not the rest. Who could have foreseen that this would become such a relatively big deal in the internet world?
atlpam United States of America

Post by atlpam »

John Isner will be retiring after the US Open.
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

Misaki Doi will also retire in September, following the Japan tournament swing