With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Our main board to talk about our sport
meganfernandez United States of America

Re: Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:39 am I thought he had retired already.
I am sort of ambivalent about hit. He had a big game, but I don't know if he achieved more, less or just about right of what he could.
Shapiro said Sock spent a year partying with Krygios after reaching the top 10 and that decimated his career.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

I am sort of ambivalent about hit. He had a big game, but I don't know if he achieved more, less or just about right of what he could.
What sullied his reputation for me is his keeping Rajeev Ram, #1 in the world, out of the Davis Cup team.

Post by meganfernandez »

ashkor87 wrote:
What sullied his reputation for me is his keeping Rajeev Ram, #1 in the world, out of the Davis Cup team.
And they proceeded to lose. Inexplicable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I don't think that was a reputation to be sullied.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
nelslus United States of America

Post by nelslus »

meganfernandez wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:19 am
ashkor87 wrote:

I was actually very happy that they lost that doubles match, and that Davis Cup tie. Karma and all that. Not that Sock kept Rajeev out of the team, BTW- that was Mardy Fish's responsibility. But, that Sock and no one spoke up for Rajeev? Incredible BS, very disrespectful- AND with very bad optics for the situation.

Other than that- Sock obviously had some terrific career doubles results. I got to see some of his matches- including some of his wins, including some early round matches and the final with Oudin. AND when he won the Open with Mike Bryan. He was terrific to watch in doubles.

In any case- there have been far more problematic American Caucasian male players out there (See: isner, John.) But- I mean- pickleball?!?! Please. Just neutral about this goodbye.
Nelslus Revised TAT Signature Currently Under Repair. :gorgeous:

Post by meganfernandez »

nelslus wrote:
ashkor87 wrote: What sullied his reputation for me is his keeping Rajeev Ram, #1 in the world, out of the Davis Cup team.

I was actually very happy that they lost that doubles match, and that Davis Cup tie. Karma and all that. Not that Sock kept Rajeev out of the team, BTW- that was Mardy Fish's responsibility. But, that Sock and no one spoke up for Rajeev? Incredible BS, very disrespectful- AND with very bad optics for the situation.

Other than that- Sock obviously had some terrific career doubles results. I got to see some of his matches- including some of his wins, including some early round matches and the final with Oudin. AND when he won the Open with Mike Bryan. He was terrific to watch in doubles.

In any case- there have been far more problematic American Caucasian male players out there (See: isner, John.) But- I mean- pickleball?!?! Please. Just neutral about this goodbye.
Sock might have kept Rajeev out. It wasn’t his decision, but i heard - maybe from Mardy himself in an interview - that he (Mardy) was burned out or otherwise not exactly at the peak of his leadership powers. It sounded like he didn’t stand up to Sock and Gang and took the heat, knowing he was likely to be out as captain.

Indefensible to only take 4 players and leave out Rajeev.

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote:I don't think that was a reputation to be sullied.
Haha

nelslus United States of America

Post by nelslus »

meganfernandez wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:02 pm
nelslus wrote:

Sock might have kept Rajeev out. It wasn’t his decision, but i heard - maybe from Mardy himself in an interview - that he (Mardy) was burned out or otherwise not exactly at the peak of his leadership powers. It sounded like he didn’t stand up to Sock and Gang and took the heat, knowing he was likely to be out as captain.

AH. This I did not know. Thanks for this info. Very strange from Sock's part- he had played with Rajeev in Davis Cup. Hmmmmm......WELL, in any case, good luck with the pickleball, Sock, that I shall never see.
Nelslus Revised TAT Signature Currently Under Repair. :gorgeous:

Post by meganfernandez »

nelslus wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:11 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:02 pm
nelslus wrote:

AH. This I did not know. Thanks for this info. Very strange from Sock's part- he had played with Rajeev in Davis Cup. Hmmmmm......WELL, in any case, good luck with the pickleball, Sock, that I shall never see.
The heavy rumor was that Sock didn't want to partner with him and the younger guys didn't think Rajeev could hang with them in practice (which is laughable) and maybe didn't want the old man cramping their style. By style, they must have meant losing.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

It has always amazed me, and one technique that at my age I will not try to learn. I can see myself with all my ankle ligaments in a Ziplock back, on my hospital night table.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Sad to see the other Coco retiring so quietly.. she was a key pillar of the Fed Cup team...I was always fond of her because her uncle Kiki was captain of the UCLA basketball team in my time...
Remember her heroics at the AO knocking off player after player including Kerber..
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Wish her well. Not a player I will miss. I think she can make a good coach, if that is her direction.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

This was part of their exo and so technically not part of the Open but :o

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein