'23 USO Day 12 OoP & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: '23 USO Day 12 OoP & Discussion

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

The pettiness and meanness are never far away with him.
FredX United States of America

Post by FredX »

meganfernandez wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:25 pm
FredX wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:07 pm I might say that third set was a LITTLE more than straightforward and routine.

I didn't really expect Shelton to win, but I thought he'd bring a fight. And I think he did that

Biggest takeaway was Djokovic's post victory mockery of Shelton and his rather curt dismissal of him at the handshake - despite having the smarts to always say something gracious in interviews, the real Djokovic is always under the surface.

What mockery, I missed it.
Shelton did some sort of "hang up the phone" gesture when he beat Tiafoe the other night. I thought it was a little boorish then - but hey, he's young - and he followed it up with a heartfelt handshake with Tiafoe so it was fairly clear it wasn't meant disrespectfully.

Djokovic imitated it when he beat Shelton and barely looked at him at the handshake and ignored him when he left the court - making it clear it was very pointed. It's the type of behavior that if Tiafoe did it back to him at their next match or another peer did it, I probably wouldn't think twice. But it sure seems beneath the stature of someone like Novak.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

He IS the GOAT. Let's assume that Shelton had beaten him. It would mean NOTHING for Novak's stature and legacy. And still, after a straight set victory, he goes and does this. It shows how competitive he is, and that it is something in his core.
No big deal for me; Shelton likes to play that game too, and I can't expect all players to be like Elena and Karo. But it was a bit silly.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

The phone thing is something he does with a friend from the Florida Gators, an olympic runner. It was "their" thing between friends.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

FredX wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:39 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:25 pm
FredX wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:07 pm I might say that third set was a LITTLE more than straightforward and routine.

I didn't really expect Shelton to win, but I thought he'd bring a fight. And I think he did that

Biggest takeaway was Djokovic's post victory mockery of Shelton and his rather curt dismissal of him at the handshake - despite having the smarts to always say something gracious in interviews, the real Djokovic is always under the surface.

What mockery, I missed it.
Shelton did some sort of "hang up the phone" gesture when he beat Tiafoe the other night. I thought it was a little boorish then - but hey, he's young - and he followed it up with a heartfelt handshake with Tiafoe so it was fairly clear it wasn't meant disrespectfully.

Djokovic imitated it when he beat Shelton and barely looked at him at the handshake and ignored him when he left the court - making it clear it was very pointed. It's the type of behavior that if Tiafoe did it back to him at their next match or another peer did it, I probably wouldn't think twice. But it sure seems beneath the stature of someone like Novak.
I agree. Very poor form to imitate Shelton's celebration and not clap for him. As if Djokovic has never been brash and showy on court. And he beat Shelton easily. Djokovic is usually respectful of his opponents. Makes me wonder if Shelton has rubbed Djokovic the wrong way off the court.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Medvedev playing really well..maybe we will have an upset today!

Post by meganfernandez »

If that's all it is, fine, but I think he's being sarcastic. And perfect response from Shelton (via Team8 publicists, probably). But wish Novak had applauded for him leaving the court.

Last edited by meganfernandez on Sat Sep 09, 2023 12:41 am, edited 4 times in total.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Alcaraz looks a bit baffled and confused...alcaraz also not moving well, up and down..medvedev forehand working well...
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

Medvedev is playing really well now - Alcaraz had more opportunities on Medvedev's serve in the first set but Medvedev turned it around in the tie-breaker, and it's been one way traffic ever since.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

This is a high-quality match. Either of them will best Djokovic in the finals if they play like this..
FredX United States of America

Post by FredX »

meganfernandez wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 12:32 am If that's all it is, fine, but I think he's being sarcastic. And perfect response from Shelton (via Team8 publicists, probably). But wish Novak had applauded for him leaving the court.

The gesture will get the news, but the handshake and the complete lack of respect when Shelton left the court is what is the most telling.

Post by meganfernandez »

ashkor87 wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 12:36 am Alcaraz looks a bit baffled and confused...alcaraz also not moving well, up and down..medvedev forehand working well...
He figured it out. I think he will win now.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »