With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

Tennis Related - Off Court Serious Issues

Our main board to talk about our sport
Owendonovan United States of America

Re: Tennis Related - Off Court Serious Issues

Post by Owendonovan »

Will Simona have to give back any titles and prize money? I'm curious if the doping is only considered from the time you test positive and forward.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

Owendonovan wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 11:08 pm Will Simona have to give back any titles and prize money? I'm curious if the doping is only considered from the time you test positive and forward.
Maria didn't, right? She had one positive test, and I don't know if they can pinpoint which matches it affected. If they can't, it would be unfair to make her relinquish titles she might have legitimately won.
Oploskoffie Netherlands

Post by Oploskoffie »

To the best of my knowledge, and also going by results from a couple of other sports, points, titles and prize money are only lost if attained on or after the date the sample determined to contain the forbidden substance(s) was taken from the athlete's body.

There is, nowadays anyway, the possibility of retesting at a future date to look for any kind of doping that would not yet have been detectable at the time of the initial test. There's a couple of olympic athletes who have lost their medals years later. Not sure if that is going to be done by/for the ATP/WTA and what the consequences would be for the player's results between those points in time if they did.
My definition of an intellectual is someone who can listen to the William Tell Overture without thinking of the Lone Ranger.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

If I'm Halep instead of trying to drag everyone down I'd be screaming from the rooftops about the Pova precedent regarding my titles.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

"People refused to admit it but I always knew I was the rightful winner of Indian Wells 2015. Simona's ban today proves it. Shoutout to my fans for keeping #JankovicWonIW15 relevant." --Jelena Jankovic
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Oploskoffie wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 7:52 pm To the best of my knowledge, and also going by results from a couple of other sports, points, titles and prize money are only lost if attained on or after the date the sample determined to contain the forbidden substance(s) was taken from the athlete's body.

There is, nowadays anyway, the possibility of retesting at a future date to look for any kind of doping that would not yet have been detectable at the time of the initial test. There's a couple of olympic athletes who have lost their medals years later. Not sure if that is going to be done by/for the ATP/WTA and what the consequences would be for the player's results between those points in time if they did.
Usain Bolt got stripped of one of his Olympic golds when one of HIS TEAM MATES IN A RELAY tested positive, years after the race.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

There's an 8 year statute of limitations on the redistribution of awards.
Oploskoffie Netherlands

Post by Oploskoffie »

And then there's this...

The expert who looked at a hair sample says Simona Halep is innocent of the charges for which she has been banned for four years

https://www.tennismajors.com/wta-tour-n ... 13714.html
My definition of an intellectual is someone who can listen to the William Tell Overture without thinking of the Lone Ranger.

Post by meganfernandez »

Oploskoffie wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 2:09 pm And then there's this...

The expert who looked at a hair sample says Simona Halep is innocent of the charges for which she has been banned for four years

https://www.tennismajors.com/wta-tour-n ... 13714.html
This is off-topic, but it's gross that websites can steal others' work and sell ads around it. (In this case, it's a Mouratoglou ad, which is laughable.) This blog or article or whatever only quotes a L'Equipe article, and significantly. If they had framed their story as "L'Equipe finds expert to support Halep's claim," that's news and then they can summarize and quote lightly. But they just reuse L'Equipe's hard work. It passes the plagarism "heart-of-the-matter" test only because L'Equipe doesn't care to fight it. But there's no reason to click through and read the L'Equipe article. It's pure theft.
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 2:38 am
Oploskoffie wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 7:52 pm To the best of my knowledge, and also going by results from a couple of other sports, points, titles and prize money are only lost if attained on or after the date the sample determined to contain the forbidden substance(s) was taken from the athlete's body.

Usain Bolt got stripped of one of his Olympic golds when one of HIS TEAM MATES IN A RELAY tested positive, years after the race.
Well, it was a relay so of course he was :) Have to take it away from the whole team.
:steven:

Post by meganfernandez »

There are two discussions going on about Halep, one here and one in Off-Court Shenanigans. Should we choose just one? I posted some highlights of the report in the other one after reading 50 pages.
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

meganfernandez wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 4:40 pm There are two discussions going on about Halep, one here and one in Off-Court Shenanigans. Should we choose just one? I posted some highlights of the report in the other one after reading 50 pages.
It should be in this thread. The other thread is for social media, and other off-court stuff that tennis players are involved with.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

The full report has been released and it is damning to say the least. I'm going to make a separate thread for it because WOW
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I liked Coco. I think she was fine, and that she was good for the sport.
Then I read this:
Maria Sakkari comments on Coco Gauff explaining playing tennis is not real pressure

Count me as a fan from now on. HUGE fan. Finally, somebody that put stuff in perspective. :notworthy: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:09 pm I liked Coco. I think she was fine, and that she was good for the sport.
Then I read this:
Maria Sakkari comments on Coco Gauff explaining playing tennis is not real pressure

Count me as a fan from now on. HUGE fan. Finally, somebody that put stuff in perspective. :notworthy: :clap: :clap: :clap:
When she's older, she'll realize that pain, disappointment, pressure, depression, etc. aren't relative to anyone else's misery or misfortune. I like her and she is mature beyond her years, that's for sure.