With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Our main board to talk about our sport
meganfernandez United States of America

Re: Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Post by meganfernandez »

ashkor87 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:24 pm Wow! Good to know you do have a hand in all this...
We all kind of do because I learn so much on this forum!
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

My vote would be:
Player of the year - Iga. Overall, she has been the dominant player, won two big titles
Comeback player- Svitolina - shr has actually come back better than before, performed better at majors, beat players she did not before,
Newcomer - andreeva
We need categories like- best crowd engager, most telegenic, and best racket-smasher too! Plus most gracious player..win or lose.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Most improved would be Coco

Post by meganfernandez »

ashkor87 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:51 am Most improved would be Coco
Hmmmm. Maybe. She didn't have a huge way to go, but she did go all the way with her improvement. You are probably right.

Comeback is Vondrousova, IMO. From outside the Top 100 to Wimbledon champ.

I hope there's a category for Svitolina. Love your observation that she beat players she didn't before. Can I steal it? :)

Some fun categories would be nice. Best speechmaker, entertainer, outfit, celebration, activist, competitor, spoiler...
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Can I steal it? :)

Yes, of course!!
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ashkor87 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:38 am My vote would be:
Player of the year - Iga. Overall, she has been the dominant player, won two big titles
Comeback player- Svitolina - shr has actually come back better than before, performed better at majors, beat players she did not before,
Newcomer - andreeva
We need categories like- best crowd engager, most telegenic, and best racket-smasher too! Plus most gracious player..win or lose.
I have to agree about Iga as Player of the Year. She's also the only one who came ready to take names at every tournament she played.

Elina Svitolina is also my Comeback Player of the Year

Cori Gauff would be my choice for Most Improved. Let's see how she does with her latest coaching change. (Pere Riba left. Jarmere Jenkins is in)

Best Racquet Smash would be Aryna Sabalenka.

Can we add most disappointing and nominate Maria Sakkari? There is no way she can be happy with the year she had.

I keep thinking Andreeva is the Fruhvitova sisters of 2023. Just my opinion...

If we do a most telegenic we're going to have to have the same category for the men. ;)

How to categorize Rybakina and Pegula?
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Well this is close

Jimmie48/WTA

But nothing beats this. Nice try Jimmie

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

To be fair, that looks like any group of 8 people these days.
:steven:

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ptmcmahon wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:15 pm To be fair, that looks like any group of 8 people these days.
:lol:

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Someone compiled this montage of WTF moments from 2023. The last image showing Carlos wishing Raducanu well never happened. It was also weird that she replied to correct his spelling and then deleted her response but never said thank you.

Post by meganfernandez »

ti-amie wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:21 pm
ashkor87 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:38 am My vote would be:
Newcomer - andreeva
I have to agree about Iga as Player of the Year. She's also the only one who came ready to take names at every tournament she played.

Elina Svitolina is also my Comeback Player of the Year

Cori Gauff would be my choice for Most Improved. Let's see how she does with her latest coaching change. (Pere Riba left. Jarmere Jenkins is in)

Best Racquet Smash would be Aryna Sabalenka.

Can we add most disappointing and nominate Maria Sakkari? There is no way she can be happy with the year she had.

I keep thinking Andreeva is the Fruhvitova sisters of 2023. Just my opinion...

If we do a most telegenic we're going to have to have the same category for the men. ;)

How to categorize Rybakina and Pegula?
Rybakina and Pegula don't get an award. Wah-wah. They had solid Top-5 seasons but didn't improve.

Was Jarmere not already in as Coco's hitting partner? Is that new?

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

That could be the case. I only saw him after Pere Riba left.
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

ti-amie wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:21 am That could be the case. I only saw him after Pere Riba left.
He was with Gauff when she won Cinncinati.

ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

I don't think Sakkari would be disappointed. She won a wta 1000 event..never won anything more than a 250 several years ago .
Pegula is improved, just that she was already very good, she is 5% better .
Rybakina is a bit of a disappointment certainly, but only a bit..she did well enough, won two big titles, finals of AO and Miami..semis at W, pretty good .in fact I would say she has become more consistent..the one I am really pleased with is Samsonova..on slow courts, she is now a major force..
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

ashkor87 wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:11 am I don't think Sakkari would be disappointed. She won a wta 1000 event..never won anything more than a 250 several years ago .
Pegula is improved, just that she was already very good, she is 5% better .
Rybakina is a bit of a disappointment certainly, but only a bit..she did well enough, won two big titles, finals of AO and Miami..semis at W, pretty good .in fact I would say she has become more consistent..the one I am really pleased with is Samsonova..on slow courts, she is now a major force..
Next year she does needs to do better in the finals - only won 5 games in 2 WTA 1000 finals this year.