COURT 7 12:00 PM

JUNIOR BOYS' SINGLES SF
ITA F. Cina [14] vs BRA J. Fonseca [7]
JUNIOR GIRLS' SINGLES SF
Upcoming
CZE L. Samsonova [10] vs USA K. Hui
JUNIOR BOYS' DOUBLES SF
Upcoming
Y. Demin [1]/MEX R. Pacheco Mendez [1] vs ITA F. Bondioli [6]/AUT J. Schwaerzler [6]
JUNIOR BOYS' DOUBLES SF
Upcoming
AUS H. Jones/USA A. Razeghi vs SWE M. Dahlin/EST O. Ojakaar

COURT 9 12:00 PM

JUNIOR GIRLS' WC SINGLES SF
Upcoming
JPN R. Okano vs FRA K. Chasteau [2]
JUNIOR BOYS' WC SINGLES SF
Upcoming
GBR D. Ward vs AUT M. Taucher [2]
JUNIOR GIRLS' WC DOUBLES SF
Upcoming
USA S. Czauz/JPN Y. Takamuro vs BEL L. Gryp [2]/JPN R. Okano [2]
JUNIOR BOYS' WC DOUBLES SF
Upcoming
ITA F. Felici [1]/AUT M. Taucher [1] vs USA C. Cooper/USA T. Majetic

by Fastbackss Well that answers that.

I'd love to have been a fly on the wall of the discussions regarding scheduling and who would be on court first

by mick1303 US Open decision makers chose Alcaraz over Djokovic, clearly demonstrating who they want to win. Considering the heat, whoever plays during the day will be depleted to much higher degree.

by ponchi101 US Open decision makers just FOLLOWED the standard procedure that the winners of the TUESDAY matches, and therefore recipients of an extra day of rest, play the first semi. The winners of the WEDNESDAY matches, on only one day rest, play the second.
It can't be that every time a favorite gets "not the best" draw, scheduling, match-up or anything we immediately call the conspiracy theory.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote:US Open decision makers just FOLLOWED the standard procedure that the winners of the TUESDAY matches, and therefore recipients of an extra day of rest, play the first semi. The winners of the WEDNESDAY matches, on only one day rest, play the second.
It can't be that every time a favorite gets "not the best" draw, scheduling, match-up or anything we immediately call the conspiracy theory.
Has it been that way every year? Makes sense but as long as all of them have at least 2 days off, I don’t know why it matters at much.

I don’t believe they are playing favorites between these two, though. It should be the better match anyway.

by ponchi101 I have been talking about preset narratives. Karo has started this set in a very poor fashion. So, what is the narrative? "She is nervous, the pressure of a semi final at the USO, she is tentative on her strokes".
Why? This is a player that has been to a slam final before. Semis too. She has never shown a penchant for choking. So, why immediately go for the "she can't handle the pressure" narrative?
Sometimes, your shots don't land in. Sometimes, you are off by 2-3° on your strokes. And that will make the ball land long or hit the net. Just that.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote:I have been talking about preset narratives. Karo has started this set in a very poor fashion. So, what is the narrative? "She is nervous, the pressure of a semi final at the USO, she is tentative on her strokes".
Why? This is a player that has been to a slam final before. Semis too. She has never shown a penchant for choking. So, why immediately go for the "she can't handle the pressure" narrative?
Sometimes, your shots don't land in. Sometimes, you are off by 2-3° on your strokes. And that will make the ball land long or hit the net. Just that.
I agree, they sometimes go for the lazy narrative. In this case, is Chrissie critiquing tight shots, something she can see? She mentioned at one point that Muchova wasn’t hitting out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by ponchi101
meganfernandez wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:44 pm
ponchi101 wrote:US Open decision makers just FOLLOWED the standard procedure that the winners of the TUESDAY matches, and therefore recipients of an extra day of rest, play the first semi. The winners of the WEDNESDAY matches, on only one day rest, play the second.
Has it been that way every year? Makes sense but as long as all of them have at least 2 days off, I don’t know why it matters at much.

I don’t believe they are playing favorites between these two, though. It should be the better match anyway.
I don't know. But, and here I am talking to Mick, it can't be that every time that something goes not completely in favor of Novak, there is a plot against him. Sure, he is not the favorite of everybody, but the final that the USO want IS Novak/Carlos. So, if they really think that Novak cannot handle the heat, putting him on the first slot makes no CONSPIRACY THEORY sense. Carlos and Daniil will handle it (Daniil did yesterday); so, if they really wanted a CARLOS/DIMINISHED NOVAK final, here they are risking it completely.
WE, the public, may not totally like him. The ORGANIZERS want him in the final. It is the dream final, the one that will have to go toe to toe with the first weekend of the NFL.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote:
meganfernandez wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:44 pm

I don't know. But, and here I am talking to Mick, it can't be that every time that something goes not completely in favor of Novak, there is a plot against him. Sure, he is not the favorite of everybody, but the final that the USO want IS Novak/Carlos. So, if they really think that Novak cannot handle the heat, putting him on the first slot makes no CONSPIRACY THEORY sense. Carlos and Daniil will handle it (Daniil did yesterday); so, if they really wanted a CARLOS/DIMINISHED NOVAK final, here they are risking it completely.
WE, the public, may not totally like him. The ORGANIZERS want him in the final. It is the dream final, the one that will have to go toe to toe with the first weekend of the NFL.
I don’t think they care who wins it. They probably care who makes the final. I dearly hope they can resist putting their finger in the scale. Surely they have guidelines for deciding how to schedule matches.

by ponchi101
meganfernandez wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:48 pm
ponchi101 wrote:I have been talking about preset narratives. Karo has started this set in a very poor fashion. So, what is the narrative? "She is nervous, the pressure of a semi final at the USO, she is tentative on her strokes".
I agree, they sometimes go for the lazy narrative. In this case, is Chrissie critiquing tight shots, something she can see? She mentioned at one point that Muchova wasn’t hitting out.

Remember I am not watching your group of talking heads. I am dealing with Monica Puig (whom I like a lot), and one Mexican and one Argie narrator. So, if Chrissie is saying the same...
And now, Coco has lost 3 games in a row. And the narrative disappears! No mentioning of nerves or pressure. When the sole difference was that Muchova lost the first few games, and now Coco has lost the recent ones. Makes no sense to me.

by skatingfan
mick1303 wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 10:01 pm US Open decision makers chose Alcaraz over Djokovic, clearly demonstrating who they want to win. Considering the heat, whoever plays during the day will be depleted to much higher degree.
Seriously - Djokovic fans hurt Djokovic's popularity with the general public because of this constant whining about everything. Djokovic/Shelton will have had two days of rest since their respective quarterfinals, so it makes sense that they play the first match. By the time the semifinal starts at 3pm local time the sun will be off the court. It will be hot, and humid but Djokovic will also have more time to recover before the final than the winner of the 2nd semifinal.

by Owendonovan
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:55 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:48 pm

Remember I am not watching your group of talking heads. I am dealing with Monica Puig (whom I like a lot), and one Mexican and one Argie narrator. So, if Chrissie is saying the same...
And now, Coco has lost 3 games in a row. And the narrative disappears! No mentioning of nerves or pressure. When the sole difference was that Muchova lost the first few games, and now Coco has lost the recent ones. Makes no sense to me.
Chrissie keeps saying Carolina has won 4 games in a row and it's driving me nuts.

by Fastbackss
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:40 pm US Open decision makers just FOLLOWED the standard procedure that the winners of the TUESDAY matches, and therefore recipients of an extra day of rest, play the first semi. The winners of the WEDNESDAY matches, on only one day rest, play the second.
They did - makes it easy to defend.

But what I want to know is whether behind closed doors someone argued for the alternative

by ponchi101 But, as many say here, the Novak/Ben match up can be a slaughter (I don't agree), so you end up with a 1-3-2 match, on prime time.
Carlos/Daniil has the potential for being a close match.
PLUS.
Can we remember that the USO just put Medvedev in a total furnace of a match? So, would it be fair FOR DANIIL (there are more than one player involved in this decision) to have to play, on shorter notice than Novak/Ben, a second match in extreme heat?

by Fastbackss Everything you said is accurate - but my point, said more explicitly remains, what is the ranking of the 4 players in terms of interest in US
Djokovic
Shelton
Alcaraz
Medvedev

So...I imagine some lobbied to get Novak and Ben in primetime

by ponchi101 I would flip Novak/Ben. I agree that having a young American in prime time would be great for the USO, if he were to play a close match. In that aspect, you are 100% right.

by skatingfan
Fastbackss wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:46 am Everything you said is accurate - but my point, said more explicitly remains, what is the ranking of the 4 players in terms of interest in US
Djokovic
Shelton
Alcaraz
Medvedev

I would expect that Alcaraz is a bigger ratings draw right now then Shelton. The highlights from last year were all over SportsCentre, and have been replayed all year.

by meganfernandez
Fastbackss wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:46 am Everything you said is accurate - but my point, said more explicitly remains, what is the ranking of the 4 players in terms of interest in US
Djokovic
Shelton
Alcaraz
Medvedev

I'd guess Alcaraz is the biggest ratings draw, then Djokovic. Not sure about Shelton and Medvedev, if they're tied or Ben edges ahead.

by mick1303
ponchi101 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:43 am But, as many say here, the Novak/Ben match up can be a slaughter (I don't agree), so you end up with a 1-3-2 match, on prime time.
Carlos/Daniil has the potential for being a close match.
PLUS.
Can we remember that the USO just put Medvedev in a total furnace of a match? So, would it be fair FOR DANIIL (there are more than one player involved in this decision) to have to play, on shorter notice than Novak/Ben, a second match in extreme heat?
This is a very valid argument "for the general public". But if we assume that they have a desired result in mind in the finals, what stops us from assuming that they have preferential results for semis as well. Chances for both Medvedev and Shelton are not good anyway. So from their pov, Djokovic and Alcaraz both win - no matter which slot they'll play. Medvedev is a fine player, but stylistically Alcaraz is a very bad matchup for him. So the chances for Djokovic-Alcaraz final are quite high anyway you slice it. The difference will be - how much gas in the tank each of them will have come the final day. They saw twice this year that Alcaraz was affected by heat - Paris and Cincy. And another victory of Djokovic is NOT what they want. And if someone will complain, that "whining" meme will always be ready. As far as I remember, when Nalbandian was complaining that he was flat out buried by rigged officiating in the USO semis against Roddick, he was also labeled as "whining". This is a proven way to refute any uncomfortable argument.

by mick1303
skatingfan wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:19 am
mick1303 wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 10:01 pm US Open decision makers chose Alcaraz over Djokovic, clearly demonstrating who they want to win. Considering the heat, whoever plays during the day will be depleted to much higher degree.
Seriously - Djokovic fans hurt Djokovic's popularity with the general public because of this constant whining about everything. Djokovic/Shelton will have had two days of rest since their respective quarterfinals, so it makes sense that they play the first match. By the time the semifinal starts at 3pm local time the sun will be off the court. It will be hot, and humid but Djokovic will also have more time to recover before the final than the winner of the 2nd semifinal.
I like Djokovic, but he is not my very favorite player. I was always rooting for Federer, when he played Djokovic. If Djokovic to play Medvedev, I will be happy with either result, but probably more so with Medvedev win. The thing with Djokovic is that he is the enemy of corporate tennis crew. They can't forgive him the attempt to create players association, because this would reduce the flow of money in their pockets.

by nelslus Selfishly- I just hate that- unless the box office miraculously has a ticket for an non-insane price and/or I can manage to show enough leg in a timely fashion- I won't get to see Carlos live this year. And, it really made sense to me that Novak/Ben would have been the night match. AH, well. :cry:

by ponchi101
mick1303 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:38 am ...

This is a very valid argument "for the general public". But if we assume that they have a desired result in mind in the finals, what stops us from assuming that they have preferential results for semis as well. Chances for both Medvedev and Shelton are not good anyway. So from their pov, Djokovic and Alcaraz both win - no matter which slot they'll play. Medvedev is a fine player, but stylistically Alcaraz is a very bad matchup for him. So the chances for Djokovic-Alcaraz final are quite high anyway you slice it. The difference will be - how much gas in the tank each of them will have come the final day. They saw twice this year that Alcaraz was affected by heat - Paris and Cincy. And another victory of Djokovic is NOT what they want. And if someone will complain, that "whining" meme will always be ready. As far as I remember, when Nalbandian was complaining that he was flat out buried by rigged officiating in the USO semis against Roddick, he was also labeled as "whining". This is a proven way to refute any uncomfortable argument.
Sorry. Totally disagree. Read the possible headline:
"Djokovic TIES grand slam record with victory AT THE US OPEN".
There is no way the USTA does not want or accept that headline. And the USO has this "thing" for making history, so if Djokovic wins and ties the record here, they will be super happy.

And about whining and complaining. I have not heard of Novak saying anything about his time slot. This time, he has been silent. It has been other agents talking about this being rigged.
(And I am not talking about you).

by ashkor87 Bopanna, at 43, the oldest man to play in a USO finals...strange career, late bloomer, has been a force only after reaching the age of 30..unusual for an Indian- usually early bloomers..

by ashkor87 Ram, by contrast, won the Orange Bowl, was ranked very high as a junior, but never developed in singles as he left the junior ranks.. i think because he is too slow on his feet to manage singles...

by ti-amie
Djokovic
Shelton
Alcaraz
Medvedev

I'm surprised the Shelton/Djokovic match wasn't the night match BUT don't forget this is ESPN and college football season is in full swing. Shelton has a better chance of being seen by the US audience during the day than at night and they want to build a fandom around US player.

by ponchi101 Well, this time I will praise myself. Not a demolition, not a close match. A straightforward victory, nothing to keep in the HD.
Novak will be fresh for Sunday. Nothing happened.

by FredX I might say that third set was a LITTLE more than straightforward and routine.

I didn't really expect Shelton to win, but I thought he'd bring a fight. And I think he did that

Biggest takeaway was Djokovic's post victory mockery of Shelton and his rather curt dismissal of him at the handshake - despite having the smarts to always say something gracious in interviews, the real Djokovic is always under the surface.

by ashkor87 Djokovic will need to serve better against Alcsraz than he did in the third set here...never seen him serve so poorly... saw only the third..

by meganfernandez
FredX wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:07 pm I might say that third set was a LITTLE more than straightforward and routine.

I didn't really expect Shelton to win, but I thought he'd bring a fight. And I think he did that

Biggest takeaway was Djokovic's post victory mockery of Shelton and his rather curt dismissal of him at the handshake - despite having the smarts to always say something gracious in interviews, the real Djokovic is always under the surface.

What mockery, I missed it.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:57 pm Well, this time I will praise myself. Not a demolition, not a close match. A straightforward victory, nothing to keep in the HD.
Novak will be fresh for Sunday. Nothing happened.
Right. Easy sledding for Djokovic, never looked seriously threatened. Ben didn't embarrass himself, though. Had a chance (but not a prayer) in the third. Good learning experience.

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie The pettiness and meanness are never far away with him.

by FredX
meganfernandez wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:25 pm
FredX wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:07 pm I might say that third set was a LITTLE more than straightforward and routine.

Shelton did some sort of "hang up the phone" gesture when he beat Tiafoe the other night. I thought it was a little boorish then - but hey, he's young - and he followed it up with a heartfelt handshake with Tiafoe so it was fairly clear it wasn't meant disrespectfully.

Djokovic imitated it when he beat Shelton and barely looked at him at the handshake and ignored him when he left the court - making it clear it was very pointed. It's the type of behavior that if Tiafoe did it back to him at their next match or another peer did it, I probably wouldn't think twice. But it sure seems beneath the stature of someone like Novak.

by ponchi101 He IS the GOAT. Let's assume that Shelton had beaten him. It would mean NOTHING for Novak's stature and legacy. And still, after a straight set victory, he goes and does this. It shows how competitive he is, and that it is something in his core.
No big deal for me; Shelton likes to play that game too, and I can't expect all players to be like Elena and Karo. But it was a bit silly.

by ti-amie The phone thing is something he does with a friend from the Florida Gators, an olympic runner. It was "their" thing between friends.

by meganfernandez
FredX wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:39 pm

Shelton did some sort of "hang up the phone" gesture when he beat Tiafoe the other night. I thought it was a little boorish then - but hey, he's young - and he followed it up with a heartfelt handshake with Tiafoe so it was fairly clear it wasn't meant disrespectfully.

Djokovic imitated it when he beat Shelton and barely looked at him at the handshake and ignored him when he left the court - making it clear it was very pointed. It's the type of behavior that if Tiafoe did it back to him at their next match or another peer did it, I probably wouldn't think twice. But it sure seems beneath the stature of someone like Novak.
I agree. Very poor form to imitate Shelton's celebration and not clap for him. As if Djokovic has never been brash and showy on court. And he beat Shelton easily. Djokovic is usually respectful of his opponents. Makes me wonder if Shelton has rubbed Djokovic the wrong way off the court.

by ashkor87 Medvedev playing really well..maybe we will have an upset today!

by meganfernandez If that's all it is, fine, but I think he's being sarcastic. And perfect response from Shelton (via Team8 publicists, probably). But wish Novak had applauded for him leaving the court.

by ashkor87 Alcaraz looks a bit baffled and confused...alcaraz also not moving well, up and down..medvedev forehand working well...

by skatingfan Medvedev is playing really well now - Alcaraz had more opportunities on Medvedev's serve in the first set but Medvedev turned it around in the tie-breaker, and it's been one way traffic ever since.

by ashkor87 This is a high-quality match. Either of them will best Djokovic in the finals if they play like this..

by FredX
meganfernandez wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 12:32 am If that's all it is, fine, but I think he's being sarcastic. And perfect response from Shelton (via Team8 publicists, probably). But wish Novak had applauded for him leaving the court.

The gesture will get the news, but the handshake and the complete lack of respect when Shelton left the court is what is the most telling.

by meganfernandez
ashkor87 wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 12:36 am Alcaraz looks a bit baffled and confused...alcaraz also not moving well, up and down..medvedev forehand working well...
He figured it out. I think he will win now.

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ponchi101 I am totally impressed by this win by Daniil. I was completely wrong on how this match would go.

by meganfernandez Same

by ashkor87 This was a match worthy of semis..Shelton-Djoko not..Shelton is a bit over-rated as of now, Americans desperate for a male hero ..he will probably be good in a year or two..

by nelslus ....You know, Ben DID have a set point in the third set.

And, he's good now. It'd be great if he could become a great player- we'll have to see. Also, it ain't just Americans rooting for Ben. I think many would like younger players like Carlos who can be the leaders of the tour soon.

by nelslus
ti-amie wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 1:30 am
Excellent and quite a mature response from Ben.

by meganfernandez
nelslus wrote:
He has good publicists. :)

by mick1303 I have to say that I was wrong with thinking about organizers intent to short-change Djokovic with scheduling. Because they did close the roof and this leveled the conditions between two semis. Or maybe intent was there initially but the temperature during the day was way too high and there was a real possibility of the heat affecting the quality of play and even players' health. In any case it worked out not as everybody expected because of the other semis result.

by Fastbackss
ti-amie wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:28 pm The pettiness and meanness are never far away with him.
I feel like the goatee, due to it's black colour, gives him the look of a villain.

Sidebar - a few points before the phone gesture - he wagged his finger at Ben as if to say "no way, not today."

In some ways I felt that was more pointed. The phone, in its execution, was cold -but- could have been "talked away" in the press conference as he tried to do

by nelslus
meganfernandez wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:42 am
nelslus wrote:
He has good publicists. :)

.....AND, thank goodness, he isn't a dull little drop-shotter like Carlos. :shock:

by nelslus
mick1303 wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:53 am I have to say that I was wrong with thinking about organizers intent to short-change Djokovic with scheduling. Because they did close the roof and this leveled the conditions between two semis. Or maybe intent was there initially but the temperature during the day was way too high and there was a real possibility of the heat affecting the quality of play and even players' health. In any case it worked out not as everybody expected because of the other semis result.
As long as I've been at the Open these past few day- most of the roofs have been closed in Ashe and Armstrong. (Very few of the audience members have had to deal with any direct sun). By the time Novak and Ben played, they had to fully close the roofs because of the rain and storms.

by ponchi101
nelslus wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 5:38 am ....You know, Ben DID have a set point in the third set.

And, he's good now. It'd be great if he could become a great player- we'll have to see. Also, it ain't just Americans rooting for Ben. I think many would like younger players like Carlos who can be the leaders of the tour soon.
That's an understatement. Right now, Carlos is the obvious face of the new gen, but Rune is like a Porsche stuck in mud, and Jannick has been unable to deliver. So, yes, we need at least two more 20yo to make the tour interesting. If Ben can be one, I say that would be good for the sport.
And, BTW, I DON'T LIKE BEN. All the gestures, the cliche "finger to the ear", the phone thing, the raising his arms whenever he hits a good shot, the incessant staring at his box (they all do it, I know); he is the kind of player I don't like. But that is me; I can see how appealing he can be to many.

by ti-amie

by mick1303
meganfernandez wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:57 pm
FredX wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:39 pm

I agree. Very poor form to imitate Shelton's celebration and not clap for him. As if Djokovic has never been brash and showy on court. And he beat Shelton easily. Djokovic is usually respectful of his opponents. Makes me wonder if Shelton has rubbed Djokovic the wrong way off the court.
I did not watch Djokovic-Shelton, but here are some witness accounts from Youtube users, who were there in person rather than watched on TV:
===================
2 instances:
1. At the beginning of the match, shelton at 2 - 2 yelled to his father from the other side, "this guy has no game"

2. In 3rd set, at 4 - 4 shelton fired a 145 mph ace and during the cross over this f00l ben shelton apparently stared down Djokovic. And the rest is history. Who in their right mind stares down an opponent, let alone novak. To clarify, it wasnt ben's celebration. Its his arrogance
===================
SHELTON was shouting VAMOS VAMOS and COME ON directly at NOVAK whenever he wins a point since the 1st set.. you can actually see the EYE-to-EYE they've had multiple times..

And when NOVAK faulted a 1st serve, which was clearly OUT, Sheton took a shot at it and directed the ball to NOVAK's feet which is rude and a big NO NO when it comes to TENNIS ETIQUETTE, same with apologizing with netball shots, he should have left the ball fly through.. THIS BEHAVIOR is actually pretty common in COLLEGE TENNIS, it's their way to "intimidate" their opponents...

THIS IS PROFESSIONAL TENNIS, he's been in the tour for 1.5 year now, HE NEEDS TO GROW UP.
===================

All in all - there was a reason why Djokovic, who is usually very warm to his opponents and hugs them at the net, was so cold afterwards.