by ti-amie Court PHILIPPE-CHATRIER

Women’s Singles

DAY SESSION - THIRD ROUND

SUI B.Bencic (14) vs CAN L.Fernandez (17)
Men’s Singles
UPCOMING
SRB N.Djokovic (1) vs SLO A.Bedene
Women’s Singles
UPCOMING
USA S.Stephens vs FRA D.Parry
NIGHT SESSION - THIRD ROUND
Men’s Singles
UPCOMING
Not before 20:45
USA S.Korda (27) vs ESP C.Alcaraz (6)

Court SUZANNE-LENGLEN

THIRD ROUND

Women’s Singles
USA A.Anisimova (27) vs CZE K.Muchova
Women’s Singles
UPCOMING
USA C.Gauff (18)
vs EST K.Kanepi
Men’s Singles
UPCOMING
NED B.Van De Zandschulp (26) vs ESP R.Nadal (5)
Men’s Singles
UPCOMING
GER A.Zverev (3) vs USA B.Nakashima

Court SIMONNE-MATHIEU

THIRD ROUND

Men’s Singles
BUL G.Dimitrov (18) vs ARG D.Schwartzman (15)
Women’s Singles
UPCOMING
GER A.Kerber (21) vs --- A.Sasnovich
Women’s Singles
UPCOMING
--- V. Azarenka (15)
vs SUI J. Teichmann (23)
Men’s Singles
UPCOMING
GBR C.Norrie (10) vs --- K.Khachanov (21)

Court 14

Men’s Doubles
SECOND ROUND
GER T.Puetz (7)/NZL M.Venus (7) vs FRA B.Bonzi/FRA A.Rinderknech
Women’s Singles
UPCOMING
THIRD ROUND
ITA M.Trevisan vs AUS D.Saville
Men’s Singles
UPCOMING
THIRD ROUND
CAN F. Auger-Aliassime (9) vs SRB F.Krajinovic
Men’s Doubles
UPCOMING
SECOND ROUND
ESP M.Granollers (4)/ARG H.Zeballos (4) vs FRA A.Mannarino/FRA A.Olivetti

Court 7

Men’s Doubles
SECOND ROUND
GBR J.Murray (10)/BRA B.Soares (10) vs USA M.Mcdonald/USA T.Paul
Women’s Singles
UPCOMING
THIRD ROUND
--- V.Gracheva vs BEL E.Mertens (31)
Men’s Singles
UPCOMING
THIRD ROUND
USA J. Isner (23) vs ESP B.Zapata Miralles
Mixed Doubles
UPCOMING
FIRST ROUND
USA D.Krawczyk (4)/GBR N.Skupski (4) vs JPN S.Aoyama/MON H.Nys
Women’s Doubles
UPCOMING
FIRST ROUND
Not before 17:00
HUN A.Bondar/BEL G.Minnen vs FRA A.Cornet FRA/D.Parry

Court 6

Women’s Doubles
SECOND ROUND
USA D.Krawczyk (5)/NED D.Schuurs (5) vs BEL M.Zanevska/BEL K.Zimmermann
Women’s Doubles
UPCOMING
SECOND ROUND
FRA C.Garcia/FRA K.Mladenovic vs ROU I.Begu/COL C.Osorio
Women’s Doubles
UPCOMING
SECOND ROUND
UKR L.Kichenok (14)/LAT J.Ostapenko (14) vs CHN X.Han/CHN L.Zhu
Mixed Doubles
UPCOMING
FIRST ROUND
NZL E.Routliffe/URU A.Behar vs FRA C.Burel (W)/FRA H.Gaston (W)

Court 8

Women’s Doubles
SECOND ROUND
USA C.Mcnally (4)/CHN S.Zhang (4) vs JPN M.Kato/INA A.Sutjiadi
Men’s Doubles
UPCOMING
SECOND ROUND
AUS L.Saville/AUS J.Thompson vs BEL S.Gille/BEL J.Vliegen
Men’s Doubles
UPCOMING
SECOND ROUND
FRA E.Couacaud/FRA M.Guinard vs ESA M.Arevalo (12)/NED JJ.Rojer (12)
Women’s Doubles
UPCOMING
SECOND ROUND
Winners of
M.NICULESCU/A.VAN UYTVANCK vs D.COLLINS/Y.PUTINTSEVA vs USA C.Gauff (8)/USA J.Pegula (8)

Court 12

Men’s Doubles
SECOND ROUND
USA R.Ram (1)/GBR J.Salisbury (1) vs SRB M.Kecmanovic/USA N.Monroe
Men’s Doubles
UPCOMING
SECOND ROUND
GBR J.O'Mara/USA J.Withrow vs ITA L.Sonego/ITA A.Vavassori
Women’s Doubles
UPCOMING
SECOND ROUND
GBR S.Murray Sharan/GBR H.Watson vs UKR M.Kostyuk/ROU EG.Ruse
Mixed Doubles
UPCOMING
FIRST ROUND
AUS S.Sanders/BEL S.Gille vs --- N.Dzalamidze/KAZ A.Bublik

Court 13

Women’s Doubles
SECOND ROUND
USA M.Keys/USA T.Townsend vs USA C.Dolehide (7)/AUS S.Sanders (7)
Men’s Doubles
UPCOMING
SECOND ROUND
Not before 12:30
URU A.Behar/ECU G.Escobar vs GBR L.Glasspool/FIN H.Heliovaara
Men’s Doubles
UPCOMING
SECOND ROUND
HUN M.Fucsovics/USA F.Tiafoe vs KAZ A.Bublik/AUS T.Kokkinakis
Women’s Doubles
UPCOMING
SECOND ROUND
TPE L.Chan/AUS S.Stosur vs KAZ A.Danilina (12)/BRA B.Haddad Maia (12)

by Deuce I think Leylah will get into trouble if she tries to bash toe-to-toe with Bencic.
My advice would be for Leylah to mix things up and throw a lot of creative variety at her to keep her off balance - change of speeds, angles, drop shots, etc.

Leylah's dad (also her primary coach) said in a TV interview yesterday that it will be 'a slugging contest', and the player who is most on her game today will win.
I hope he was just saying that to throw the Bencic camp off, and that Leylah is not going to go out there to try to out-hit Bencic. Leylah has done that too often at the WTA level, in my opinion - as if she's trying to prove that she can hit toe-to-toe with the best players in the world. But her game is a game more of variety and creativity than power. I'd like to see her get back to the creative variety to a larger degree than she has.

Bencic will surely have their Fed Cup match in the back of her mind (when Leylah beat her in Fed Cup in 2020). Leylah needs to take advantage of that and preferably get ahead early so that Bencic keeps thinking about the Fed Cup match more and more.

Anisimova vs. Muchova should be good, as well - if Muchova is fully recovered from her abdominal injury/ Unfortunately, they're playing at the same time as Leylah and Bencic, though they're starting an hour earlier. Hopefully they can finish rather quickly, because I don't like watching 2 matches at the same time.

by JTContinental Muchova/Anisimova is very entertaining

by meganfernandez
JTContinental wrote:Muchova/Anisimova is very entertaining
Muchova is so good. That point in Anisimova’s 5-5 service game where Muchova hit about 5 different types of shots and scrambled around the net… so good, so fun to watch. Maybe she’s the rival Swiatek deserves. At this level I can easily see Muchova in the final (which sucks because I took her on Day 1 in the SP).

I think she is definitely going to win this match.

by Deuce Muchova might be the best all-court player on the tour.
She hit what might stand up to be the shot of the tournament early in this match. A very unique shot that's impossible to describe with words. I'm trying to find a video of it, but no luck thus far.

by meganfernandez
Deuce wrote:Muchova might be the best all-court player on the tour.
She hit what might stand up to be the shot of the tournament early in this match. A very unique shot that's impossible to describe with words. I'm trying to find a video of it, but no luck thus far.
She is fantastic.… i missed that point. Would like to see it. Ouch on the end of the set… Anisimova had it and blew it with a couple brain cramps. I will be impressed if she can shake that off.

by Deuce Muchova takes the 1st set tiebreak... and then promptly takes a Medical Time-Out.
Bizarre.
She had a worried look on her face.

Anisimova tried a drop shot on the point which gave Muchova the set. Upon losing the set, Anisimova looked like she was going to cry. She looked like she had just found out that someone had stolen her puppy. Strange reaction - but I've seen this from her before. When most players would be angry with themselves, Anisimova looks like she's going to cry.

Over on centre court, Leylah got off to a flying start, playing great, breaking Bencic and going up 3-0.
But Bencic came back to tie it 3-3.
Leylah just held for 4-3, on serve.

by meganfernandez
Deuce wrote:Muchova takes the 1st set tiebreak... and then promptly takes a Medical Time-Out.
Bizarre.
She had a worried look on her face.

Anisimova tried a drop shot on the point which gave Muchova the set. Upon losing the set, Anisimova looked like she was going to cry. …'ve seen this from her before. When most players would be angry with themselves, Anisimova looks like she's going to cry.

I’ve noticed this a lot, and I think a lot of it is just her face. That grimace just looks like crying on her. Honestly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by JTContinental Muchova just rolled her ankle and is pretty limpy

by Deuce In Muchova's second MTO of the match, the trainer just put about a mile and a half of tape around her foot and ankle.
I wouldn't want even half that amount of tape on me. I don't see how she'll be able to move anywhere near fluidly with that cast made of tape on.

by meganfernandez
JTContinental wrote:Muchova just rolled her ankle and is pretty limpy
I worry that she isn’t sturdy enough to fulfill her immense potential.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by ashkor87 Bencic just doesn't move well enough on clay ..missing easy putaways near the net because she isn't stable enough .

by ashkor87
Deuce wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:02 am In Muchova's second MTO of the match, the trainer just put about a mile and a half of tape around her foot and ankle.
I wouldn't want even half that amount of tape on me. I don't see how she'll be able to move anywhere near fluidly with that cast made of tape on.
Yes, she is clearly hampered .too bad...

by Deuce Bencic was serving for the 1st set, but Leylah broke her to win the set 7-5.
Leylah won the first 3 games and the last 3 games of the set.

She's playing pretty 'in-your-face' tennis - which I honestly didn't think she'd be able to get away with vs. Bencic. I thought the best tactic would be to throw a lot of variety at Bencic to keep her off balance and guessing.
We'll see how the rest of the match unfolds.

As expected, Muchova is quite limited in her movements now. The shots are still there - but without the mobility, I don't see her winning this match.
Had she lost the 1st set before she injured her ankle, I think she might have retired by now.

by meganfernandez
Deuce wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:12 am Had she lost the 1st set before she injured her ankle, I think she might have retired by now.
I expect her to retire after the 2nd set. Maybe she's waiting for pain medicine to kick in. Might as well just go for broke and see what happens.

Edit: Muchova retired in the third set. Bad luck. Anisimova got pretty lucky. I think I'd take Fernandez to beat her.

by Deuce I didn't like the first MTO, but give credit to Muchova for trying to tough it out after the ankle injury.
It's got to feel deflating for her, as she's just coming back from a long injury layoff with an abdominal problem, and she was looking healthy and playing really well... To have that momentum derailed by a fluke injury is tough.

Bencic got called for a time violation while receiving serve, got angry at the umpire for the warning, and played the next couple of points as if the umpire's head was painted onto the ball, promptly breaking Leylah. Bencic then held - with difficulty (Leylah had a few break points) for 3-1.

This is high quality stuff from both players.

by Deuce Bencic breaks Leylah at love to take the 2nd set 6-3.
The momentum is with the Swiss now...

It's unfortunate that the seats aren't more full for this high quality, entertaining match. More people are coming in every changeover, though...

by ponchi101 I know that Diego is pesky, and he is a fighter, and this is clay. But 3, 1 & 2 against Dimitrov is rather impressive. Grigor's best day are behind him but that was a way too easy line for Diego.
Kind of surprised by the score.

by meganfernandez
Deuce wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 12:03 pm Bencic breaks Leylah at love to take the 2nd set 6-3.

It's unfortunate that the seats aren't more full for this high quality, entertaining match. More people are coming in every changeover, though...
I'd say momentum is back to neutral, at least. Fernandez breaks back in the third from 40-love down. I thought this was far from over.

by Deuce
meganfernandez wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 12:17 pm
Deuce wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 12:03 pm Bencic breaks Leylah at love to take the 2nd set 6-3.

I'd say momentum is back to neutral, at least. Fernandez breaks back in the third from 40-love down. I thought this was far from over.
Yes... that was an interesting game.
Momentum is an interesting element. It's such a strong and important and influential thing... but it can completely change in a heartbeat.
And then change back again just as quickly...

by meganfernandez
Deuce wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 12:21 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 12:17 pm

Yes... that was an interesting game.
Momentum is an interesting element. It's such a strong and important and influential thing... but it can completely change in a heartbeat.
And then change back again just as quickly...
Yes, managing momentum swings is a big part of the game. Leylah does it very well.

by Deuce This is an extremely captivating match (Leylah - Bencic).
3-3 in the 3rd...

by meganfernandez
Deuce wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 12:36 pm This is an extremely captivating match (Leylah - Bencic).
3-3 in the 3rd...
That double from Bencic on break point is why I backed Fernandez.

by Deuce Total points in the match are 99-99.
Can't ask for more than that...

by meganfernandez Who stops Fernandez from making the final? Who can match her fight or beat it with their game? I think Sasnovich has the best chance. I'm picking Leylah to get by Anisimova on mental strength.

by Deuce High quality stuff from both players. Lots of momentum changes.
Very impressively won by Leylah.
This match might well turn out to be another major turning point in her evolution.
Well done, kiddo!

Honestly, though, as much as I like Leylah, I would take Anisimova in the next round. Amanda was having her way with Leylah at Indian Wells a couple of months ago before she had an emotional meltdown and quit.
Amanda seems a little more stable emotionally now (in spite of looking like she's about to cry).

by ashkor87 Kanepi doesn't seem to know how to take advantage of Coco's forehand. If you pound it enough, especially close to her body, you can get a short ball sooner or later..but Kanepi keep going to her backhand

by meganfernandez
Deuce wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 1:09 pm Honestly, though, as much as I like Leylah, I would take Anisimova in the next round. Amanda was having her way with Leylah at Indian Wells a couple of months ago before she had an emotional meltdown and quit. Amanda seems a little more stable emotionally now (in spite of looking like she's about to cry).
I agree, on tennis alone Anisimova should win. Guessing she will have a lot of chances on return, one of her strengths. But if Leylah keeps it close, she's the better competitor. A popcorn match.

Kerber is out. Sasnovich vs Trevisan to play for the quarters. One of the semifinals will be Fernandez, Anisimova, Sasnovich or Trevisian. I love Sasnovich's personality. She's joking about doing some shopping but won't reveal what she wants to buy. Says she needs to win another round to splurge for it.

by ponchi101 All in all, a good two weeks for Kerber, in her least favorite surface. I gather she can feel good about going back to the grass.
I still don't say she is a contender for Wimby, but with the even-slate in the WTA, maybe I am wrong. She will be one of the few former champs.

by Deuce Sasnovich is hands down the best on-court interview out of all the players on both tours combined.

by ashkor87 Can't believe the commentator Tamira is saying Sloane likes to dominate play, ..,,,if there is any champion as passive as Sloane I can't imagine who that could be...

by JazzNU
ashkor87 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 3:30 pm Can't believe the commentator Tamira is saying Sloane likes to dominate play, ..,,,if there is any champion as passive as Sloane I can't imagine who that could be...
Tamira Paszek? If so, I'm happy to hear she's commentating even if you disagree with her assessment.

by ashkor87 Yes..used to be a good player

by ashkor87 Stephens will beat you and afterwards you will have no idea how and why.
Subtlest of players...a player's player..

by ponchi101
ashkor87 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 4:24 pm Stephens will beat you and afterwards you will have no idea how and why.
Ok, I see your point of not knowing HOW, but ... WHY?
Sort of like, it's the nature of all sports? ;)
I know she is nice, but nobody wins a Slam without at the very least a modicum of competitive drive.

by jazzyg Pam Shriver and the ATP in a tweet are saying Isner came back from two breaks in the fourth set to force a fifth, which would be truly unthinkable.

One problem. I was watching, and he came back from one break. He was down 5-2 and saved five match points in the next two games (three on his serve and two on the qualifier's). Probably won't matter because he's now down a break in the 5th.

How could the ATP get that tweet wrong? Do they listen to Pam Shriver?

by jazzyg Fernandez hit a lucky running backhand crosscourt winner off the line down 40-0 and 2-0 in the third set against Bencic, and Bencic let it get to her head when she ended up getting broken.

It was a an incredible shot, but there was a fair amount of good fortune involved.

I don't see Fernandez as a contender to reach the final, but the bottom half is wide open.

by meganfernandez
jazzyg wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 4:57 pm Fernandez hit a lucky running backhand crosscourt winner off the line down 40-0 and 2-0 in the third set against Bencic, and Bencic let it get to her head when she ended up getting broken.

It was a an incredible shot, but there was a fair amount of good fortune involved.

I don't see Fernandez as a contender to reach the final, but the bottom half is wide open.
Fernandez makes a lot of players crack. Against someone like Iga, it won't be enough. But I think it could get her to the final. Anisimova and Sasnovich can overpower her, but I don't think Anisimova will, and I don't think anyone in the other section of the bottom half can.

by Liamvalid Teichmann just beat Azarenka in a final set tie-breaker in a cracking match. I really enjoy watching Teichmann play, nothing too spectacular but she has a great energy and I trust in her not to miss. Needed Vika to win for my contests, but I’m definitely not mad about the result

by JTContinental I think Anisimova will cream her

by meganfernandez
JTContinental wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 5:40 pm I think Anisimova will cream her
If she holds her nerve, she should win. Big if. She would have lost today if Muchova didn't roll her ankle.

by Suliso There is very little experience left in the bottom half of the draw. Only Stephens has been to GS SF's more than once. Does it make her a favorite?

by Irena2 We only have one TC via sling TV, (our internet provider doesn't allow Bally and we don't have cable TV) so now it seems watching Zv#$%* is the only choice. Wish Nakashima were playing someone else. Or really taking it to that @**^#(#. Maybe it's time to make some pizza dough, polish my winter boots, do some mending instead...something until Herr #^&$(&Y*(_) is gone from my screen. I do so enjoy everyone's commentary, especially about the women left in the draw. And now suliso has commented so I know who to avoid in the WTA pool...;)

by meganfernandez
Suliso wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 5:48 pm There is very little experience left in the bottom half of the draw. Only Stephens has been to GS SF's more than once. Does it make her a favorite?
I think it's anyone's but Teichmann has had the best results lately. Who will step up and take it?

by meganfernandez
Irena2 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 5:59 pm We only have one TC via sling TV, (our internet provider doesn't allow Bally and we don't have cable TV) so now it seems watching Zv#$%* is the only choice. Wish Nakashima were playing someone else. Or really taking it to that @**^#(#. Maybe it's time to make some pizza dough, polish my winter boots, do some mending instead...something until Herr #^&$(&Y*(_) is gone from my screen. I do so enjoy everyone's commentary, especially about the women left in the draw. And now suliso has commented so I know who to avoid in the WTA pool...;)
TC Plus is a great value. $100/year, I think, massive amount of tennis. But do you really want to watch Khachanov/Norrie?

I tend for get that Khachanov exists.

by ponchi101
Again, she was doing that at IW, lost the plot in the second set, ended retiring due to some phantom injury.
It is not about strokes and power. I would say Leylah is along the lines of Murray: grinding you down, and frustrating her opponent. And Amanda can be easily frustrated.

by JTContinental
meganfernandez wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 5:47 pm
If she holds her nerve, she should win. Big if. She would have lost today if Muchova didn't roll her ankle.
Not sure about that—the match was pretty dead even before Muchova rolled her ankle

by Irena2
Irena2 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 5:59 pm We only have one TC via sling TV, (our internet provider doesn't allow Bally and we don't have cable TV) so now it seems watching Zv#$%* is the only choice.
meganfernandez wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 6:12 pm TC Plus is a great value. $100/year, I think, massive amount of tennis. But do you really want to watch Khachanov/Norrie?

I do like Khachanov. And I haven't seen Norrie much at all, so that would have been interesting to watch.

We did try TC Plus some years ago when it cost $70ish dollars per year, but Motobass and I just don't watch enough tennis other than slams to justify the cost. If TC had a "Plus Ticket" for Roland Garros only, or a monthly service with the ability to put it on hold, like other streaming services, we'd love that. We just added the sports package to Sling for $11 a month to watch Roland Garros.

by Liamvalid Norrie continues his run of never making it past round 3 of a slam, despite being the 10th seed and having a great year or two.

Speaking of round 3, Elise Mertens has now made it to the third round of a slam for 17 consecutive slams! How’s that for consistency. Wish I’d have known that yesterday in the SP :roll:

by ti-amie
ashkor87 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 4:24 pm Stephens will beat you and afterwards you will have no idea how and why.
Best description of how she plays I've ever read.

by ti-amie Korda's performance was, well, lacking today.

by jazzyg I watched a fair amount of the Teichmann-Azarenka match because I was surprised to see Azarenka up a set and serving for the match. Thought Teichmann would win going in.

Although I liked Teichmann's fight and Azarenka was placing the ball well before losing her nerve, the overall quality appeared more than a notch below Sasnovich-Kerber in my eyes. Might turn out to be wrong, but I see Anisimova, Mertens and Stephens as the most likely to reach the final from the bottom half. If Stephens is fit cardio-wise--a big if considering her play the last few years--she has more game than any of them, including Anisimova, and she can be surprisingly mentally tough on the occasions when she is not giving up. She would have beaten Halep in that 2018 final if she had cared half as much as Halep did.

by JazzNU
meganfernandez wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 6:12 pm
TC Plus is a great value. $100/year, I think, massive amount of tennis. But do you really want to watch Khachanov/Norrie?

Disagree about it being a great value. It's overpriced for what it is and the pricing setup is obnoxious. Name another streaming service that forces you to pay yearly and doesn't give you the option for a monthly plan that can be canceled at any time.

Not saying TC Plus isn't worthwhile, and the price will be more palatable to some than others, but in comparison to other services, it is not well priced at all. It's close to $30 more per year than ESPN+ for just a single sport, and that's with the newer , higher ESPN+ price. TennisTV is similarly expensive, though it at least offers a monthly plan. This is tennis being a less accessible sport yet again.

by JazzNU
jazzyg wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:28 pm I watched a fair amount of the Teichmann-Azarenka match because I was surprised to see Azarenka up a set and serving for the match. Thought Teichmann would win going in.

Although I liked Teichmann's fight and Azarenka was placing the ball well before losing her nerve, the overall quality appeared more than a notch below Sasnovich-Kerber in my eyes.
I agree, the overall quality is not what you'd assume it was given the scoreline.

by JazzNU
ti-amie wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 10:58 pm Korda's performance was, well, lacking today.
I turned it off. He seemed to have given up his fight and was just finishing off the match. I can't recall seeing that from him, but maybe it's happened when playing some of the other higher ranked players as well.

by ti-amie
JazzNU wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:41 pm
ti-amie wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 10:58 pm Korda's performance was, well, lacking today.
I turned it off. He seemed to have given up his fight and was just finishing off the match. I can't recall seeing that from him, but maybe it's happened when playing some of the other higher ranked players as well.
I was really surprised at Korda's attitude. I thought the match would be popcorn worthy and instead Carlitos just routined him.

by ponchi101 Especially in view that Korda beat him on clay at Monaco. It should have been closer.

by ti-amie
ponchi101 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 1:19 am Especially in view that Korda beat him on clay at Monaco. It should have been closer.
He did just enough not to be called out for tanking.

by Deuce
JTContinental wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 7:12 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 5:47 pm
Not sure about that—the match was pretty dead even before Muchova rolled her ankle
The 'vibe' I was getting at the time of the injury was that Muchova was on her way to a straight set win.
While the score may have been close (at the time of injury), I felt that Muchova was much more in control of the match; that the match was on HER racquet, as they say.