3. Dylan Dietrich v Nishesh Basavareddy
4. Olaf Pieczkowski v Ozan Colak
5. Georgia Pedone v Amelie Van Impe

TO BE ARRANGED 1 -
Not Before: 5:00pm
1. Jack Sock / Coco Gauff v Kyle Edmund / Olivia Nicholls
Not Before: 5:00pm
2. Thanasi Kokkinakis / Asia Muhammad v Neal Skupski / Desirae Krawczyk

The Committee, while adhering as closely as possible to the order of play given, is unable to guarantee that it will be maintained in its entirety.
This may result in matches being moved from one court to another. GERRY ARMSTRONG - REFEREE
THE CHAMPIONSHIPS, WIMBLEDON 2022
INTENDED ORDER OF P

by ashkor87 Kvitova could lose today..she was very tired at the end of the previous match, as she gets older, harder to recover..
Zheng seems to be finding her grass feet, and anyway, as the tournament rolls on, the grass gets slower and shorter...good for players like Zheng (and Swiatek)..

Kyrgios versus Tsitsipas is the one I want to see today!! Kyrgios will win, I hope.

by dryrunguy
ashkor87 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:15 am Kyrgios versus Tsitsipas is the one I want to see today!! Kyrgios will win, I hope.
My initial reaction was, "Demon! I cast thee out!" And then I thought about the alternative, so I refrained... :? :? :?

by ti-amie There was a lot of grumbling about why Stefanos vs Nick wasn't on Centre Court.

by Deuce
ti-amie wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:40 am There was a lot of grumbling about why Stefanos vs Nick wasn't on Centre Court.
^ It's because the All England Lawn Tennis & Croquet Club has physically calculated that the Royal Box is within spitting range of the court.

The All England Lawn Tennis & Croquet Club prides itself on keeping foreign saliva as far away as possible from the Royals - and even from common folk on Saturdays.

by ashkor87 It is a joy to watch Krejcikova's silky smoothness!

by Suliso Easy win for Harmony.

by Deuce
Suliso wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:58 am Easy win for Harmony.
Too 'injured' to play doubles, but wins her next 2 singles matches easily in straight sets.
As I said before, for tennis to have any integrity, she should be fined for pulling out of the doubles.
However far she makes it in singles, pull her back to the prize money of the previous round she won.

by jazzyg Tan's run (plus the dominating scorelines in the last two) is one of the most unlikely I've ever seen based on previous results.

Until Wimbledon, she had won more than one match at a WTA 250 event or better only once in her career, when she reached the semis of Bogota in 2021 without playing anyone ranked in the top 130 and then got crushed by someone outside the top 130. Her record in all matches this year, including qualifying and ITF events, was 14-15. Her record in her last 18 matches against top-100 players was 3-15.

by Deuce
jazzyg wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:34 am Tan's run (plus the dominating scorelines in the last two) is one of the most unlikely I've ever seen based on previous results.

Until Wimbledon, she had won more than one match at a WTA 250 event or better only once in her career, when she reached the semis of Bogota in 2021 without playing anyone ranked in the top 130 and then got crushed by someone outside the top 130. Her record in all matches this year, including qualifying and ITF events, was 14-15. Her record in her last 18 matches against top-100 players was 3-15.
I guess she plays better when she's significantly 'injured'...

by jazzyg Gasquet always has been a pleasure to watch on grass.

Not sure if he can keep this up against Botic at his age, but there is a reason he made two semis at Wimbledon in the past. He has really good hands and handles low bounces extremely well.

EDIT: and then he pulls a Gasquet and blows five set points serving for the first set, eventually double faulting three times in a row to lose serve after his fifth set point. Incredible.

EDIT 2: And then from up 2-1 and 15-40 in the second set, Botic dumps five games in a row out of nowhere. This match is all kinds of crazy.

by Deuce The power of the penguin just beat Krejcikova

by jazzyg Tomljanovic is backing up her result from last year, when she was hitting the ball as well as anyone before having the misfortune of running into Barty and getting taken apart.

by Cuckoo4Coco One of those players down that was supposed to be a threat to Iga and to take down the person I picked to advance to the SF Pegula. I just had that feeling that more upsets were going to happen. I still think more are to come.

by Cuckoo4Coco Coco back on the court against fellow American Anisimova. This is gonna be an awesome match.

by meganfernandez
Cuckoo4Coco wrote:Coco back on the court against fellow American Anisimova. This is gonna be an awesome match.
Gauff is playing like the favorite that she is. She has the edge unless she gets tight and Anisimova starts red-lining.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by patrick However, Gauff just blew a 40-0 lead to lose her break lead. Anisimova serving 2-3

by ponchi101 BTW. Tan barely squeaked by Serena. Then beat SST comfortably. Today, 1 & 1.
Harmony Tan, Wimbledon champion, if that progression continues :D

by Cuckoo4Coco Coco came out in this match on fire but Anisimova has thrown a bucket of water on the fire quickly and has marched out to a break in the 1st set.

by meganfernandez Gauff’s dad just obviously coached her - flashed a T sign after she double-faulted, as in serve down the T. I’m sure it’s hard to help himself as her dad. But it is coaching, even if it was an understandable spontaneous reaction. (Wait, if he isn’t her coach of record, does it count as coaching?)

Of course, I have no problem with some form of coaching. I’d prefer coaching consults during a match over hand signals for where to hit the ball. Baseball pitchers get them, though.

by meganfernandez
Cuckoo4Coco wrote:Coco came out in this match on fire but Anisimova has thrown a bucket of water on the fire quickly and has marched out to a break in the 1st set.
Fun match so far. I had my head down posting that last message, about coaching, and missed Coco coming back from 1-4 to lead 6-4. If Anisimova could have won that point, Gauff might have gotten tight serving for the set. Oh well. Let’s see if Anisimova can bounce back mentally.

by Deuce Anisimova continues to choke when leading.
She was in control of the tiebreak, and blew it.
It happens often with her. It's purely psychological.
She was behind 0-3 in the set - then played better from that point.
She plays much better when she's behind. The problem with that is that she eventually catches up and overtakes... then falls apart.

by Cuckoo4Coco Coco takes the first set in a tie breaker, but Anisimova out to a breaker in the 2nd set already.

by ponchi101
meganfernandez wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:44 pm Gauff’s dad just obviously coached her - flashed a T sign after she double-faulted, as in serve down the T. I’m sure it’s hard to help himself as her dad. But it is coaching, even if it was an understandable spontaneous reaction. (Wait, if he isn’t her coach of record, does it count as coaching?)

Of course, I have no problem with some form of coaching. I’d prefer coaching consults during a match over hand signals for where to hit the ball. Baseball pitchers get them, though.
I think that the consensus is that, if you are in the player's coach, you are part of the team and any interaction is coaching. Otherwise, they could hire a hand-signs person to relay all necessary info.
Baseball pitchers get signals from the catcher. Runners get them from 1st and 3rd base coaches. But we have been talking about that and, well, those are team sports. You need a director of that orchestra.

by Cuckoo4Coco Coco breaks right back on a lucky net court.

by ponchi101 BVDZ to the 4th round.
This from a man that was basically unknown prior to the USO last year. A truly great story.

by Cuckoo4Coco Looks like Coco and Amanda are headed to a 3rd set.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote:BVDZ to the 4th round.
This from a man that was basically unknown prior to the USO last year. A truly great story.
Yeah so glad to see him build on last year. He has a decent chance vs Rafa, but I’d still go Rafa.

Is Ritjhoven a better story? I think so - has a title. I don’t think Botic has a title yet.

by ashkor87 Gauff -Anisimova. Surprising number of ufes from both..may be the wind .poor quality match thus far...

by Cuckoo4Coco Coco certainly not playing the same sort of match as the previous one. That is probably because of the opponent she is playing though.

Amanda and Coco are going for a potty break.

by ponchi101
meganfernandez wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:12 pm
ponchi101 wrote:BVDZ to the 4th round.
Yeah so glad to see him build on last year. He has a decent chance vs Rafa, but I’d still go Rafa.

Is Ritjhoven a better story? I think so - has a title. I don’t think Botic has a title yet.
Would not say better story, but equally compelling. I posted one article about how Ritjhoven has been dealing with a lot of injuries, so a comeback component there too.

by ponchi101
ashkor87 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:14 pm Gauff -Anisimova. Surprising number of ufes from both..may be the wind .poor quality match thus far...
Yes, not a clean match at all.

by Cuckoo4Coco The service games seem a bit rough for both of them.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:20 pm
ashkor87 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:14 pm Gauff -Anisimova. Surprising number of ufes from both..may be the wind .poor quality match thus far...
Yes, not a clean match at all.
Maybe not but I'm enjoying it. Lots of tensions, some momentum swings, some great points. Tough conditions. Let's hope they both play their best in the third.

I was thinking before the match - eyes were on Anisimova before the French, given her good clay season, and it was Coco who ended up making a run. Here, a lot of eyes are on Coco. What if it ends up being Anisimova who makes a run? Would be ironic.

by Fastbackss Sock is going to struggle getting over this one I feel.

In the 4th set TB he hit a backhand that was ruled out. It was immediately countered by the chair (and shown to be out I might add) but he seemed unable to let it go. He lost the set ... and then never seemed to be in the 5th. Kubler never let off the gas either, despite Sock's flittering interest

by Suliso Simona off to a very good start.

by meganfernandez
Fastbackss wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:27 pm Sock is going to struggle getting over this one I feel.

In the 4th set TB he hit a backhand that was ruled out. It was immediately countered by the chair (and shown to be out I might add) but he seemed unable to let it go. He lost the set ... and then never seemed to be in the 5th. Kubler never let off the gas either, despite Sock's flittering interest
Wow, what a missed opportunity for Sock. I'd never heard of Kubler until this tournament. He's a 29-year-old Aussie (obviously, per the moustache). Former world #1 junior. Had some ups and downs - got into the Top 200 in 2015, fell totally off the rankings by 2017, climbed back up to 91 by 2018, fell outside the top 200 again, and started climbing again last year. Now #99. Good for him. Gets Fritz next (likely, he's up 2 sets to 0 on Molcan).

Kubler's full name is Jason Murray Kubler. Maybe the UK will adopt him as a Murray.

by Cuckoo4Coco Nakashima rolls into the next round and so do I in the SP. ;)

by meganfernandez
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:34 pm Nakashima rolls into the next round and so do I in the SP. ;)
Woo hoo! Me, too, with Botic. Very nice 2nd-week performance, C4C!

Nakishima gets Kyrgios or Tsitsipas next. Probably Kyrgios. Interesting matchup. I think it's a good chance for Nakashima. Nick can get bored when he's not playing a big dog, and will likely start to feel the pressure of having an excellent path to the semis at that point.

by Suliso Me also with Nakashima, but now becomes tough to choose.

by Cuckoo4Coco
meganfernandez wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:35 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:34 pm Nakashima rolls into the next round and so do I in the SP. ;)
You are in too. I already have my next pick ready to go.

by Cuckoo4Coco Oh No!!!!! Coco is in trouble. Breaker down in the 3rd set.

by ponchi101 Just to say: I HATE YOU ALL! :evil: (posting about your SP exploits).
(Good job :thumbsup: )

by meganfernandez
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:37 pm
Gonna guess Alcaraz or Tiafoe.
Suliso wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:36 pm Me also with Nakashima, but now becomes tough to choose.
Gutsy choice with Nakashima. I took him in the 2nd round. I think the next pick is one of the easiest (aaaaand I just cursed myself).
ponchi101 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:39 pm Just to say: I HATE YOU ALL! :evil: (posting about your SP exploits).
Oh, look at all your medals....

by Cuckoo4Coco
meganfernandez wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:41 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:37 pm

Gonna guess Alcaraz or Tiafoe.
ponchi101 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:39 pm Just to say: I HATE YOU ALL! :evil: (posting about your SP exploits).
Oh, look at all your medals....
Well since I already picked Tiafoe the other guess is a really good one. ;)

by Suliso Is it? I'm going with Tiafoe. You too?

by meganfernandez
Suliso wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:45 pm Is it? I'm going with Tiafoe. You too?
Probably not. Goffin is a wily veteran. I wish Tiafoe is that reliable and I hope he wins. Probably going Alcaraz.

by Suliso I'd take Sinner over Alcaraz, butbI won't because it's an unnecessary risk.

by Cuckoo4Coco Coco is gonna lose. :(

Really great 3rd set though for Amanda.

by meganfernandez BTW, Harmony freaking Tan. Sorry, Korpatsch!

by Suliso What a win by Anisimova! Impressed albeit I still stick to my Badosa vs Zheng SF for now. :)

by meganfernandez
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:48 pm Coco is gonna lose. :(

Really great 3rd set though for Amanda.
Pretty surprised by this. Next gets Harmony Tan then Halep, likely. So sorry, C4C. I'm sure you're a little sad to see Coco go out.

by ponchi101 A very solid 3rd set from Anisimova, and Coco was a bit lost.
Good for Amanda, who has also gone through some tough times. She puts me out of contention for YCWJ, but that's ok.

by Cuckoo4Coco I think Amanda can get past Harmony but she is playing out of her mind.

by Suliso Who wrote here that there is no way Anisimova would trouble Gauff on grass? :P

As for Harmony let's not exaggerate. Anisimova is a far stronger player.

by Cuckoo4Coco I have to update my SF: Still have Jabeur vs. Ostapenko. Now going with Halep vs. Pegula. I think Badosa loses to Kvitova today and Rybakina takes out Zheng in a tough one today. Then also the big prediction upset of Iga that I have been saying . That is gonna open up that side for Pegula and Halep.

Time to head out to the courts. Gonna be picked up in a few minutes.

by ponchi101 Crush a few forehands for us :thumbsup:

by ponchi101 Two games into this match, and you guys are right: Cornet will beat Iga. Iga can't keep the ball inside the lines.
And I know it is early, but she is looking very bad.

by Deuce
meganfernandez wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:35 pm Nick can get bored when he's not playing a big dog, and will likely start to feel the pressure of having an excellent path to the semis at that point.
I don't think he gets bored when not playing a top player - he gets scared.
Nick is so insecure that he's terrified when playing lesser players - he's scared that if he loses, people will look down on him and question his talent... Whereas if he loses to a top player, it's much more 'acceptable', and people will still respect his tennis ability.

by Suliso
ponchi101 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:11 pm Two games into this match, and you guys are right: Cornet will beat Iga. Iga can't keep the ball inside the lines.
I don't think she has prepared appropriately for this Slam. Understandable, maybe next year.

by Deuce
Suliso wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:23 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:11 pm Two games into this match, and you guys are right: Cornet will beat Iga. Iga can't keep the ball inside the lines.
I don't think she has prepared appropriately for this Slam. Understandable, maybe next year.
You're seriously writing her off after only 3 games?
She just won 3 of the the next 4 games, by the way.
Now 3-4. :D

And Rybakina just won the 1st set tiebreak over Zheng.

by ponchi101 About attendance. At least in the Iga/Alize match, you can see plenty of empty seats. On a Saturday on court 1, that is odd.

by Suliso Wish I was in London this weekend. I'd have gone.

by ponchi101 As Wimbledon says that it is almost impossible to score a seat on those courts, I would wonder if people know that there are seats available there.

by jazzyg The Kvitova-Badosa match is brutal to watch. I keep turning to it because Halep plays the winner, but both players are off and I quickly switch to another match.

by meganfernandez
Suliso wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:23 pm

I'm still at 60/40 that Iga will win. During this streak, she has had a few tight matches and came through in the end. She can pick up her level. Cornet has asked for the trainer.

by ponchi101 Iga simply refuses to come to the net. She has had several points in which Alize has simply floated a ball back, which Iga could have volleyed. She takes two steps back, and allows Cornet back in the point. Which is odd, because she won 6/7 of points coming to the net.
UE's for the first set: 17 (Iga).

by meganfernandez
Suliso wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:54 pm Who wrote here that there is no way Anisimova would trouble Gauff on grass? :P

She is. And Anisimova is far stronger than Serena. But she loves pace. Will Tan junk-ball her to death?

by ponchi101 That's how she plays. Why should she change her style now? She is playing against a player that loves pace, and that is tall. Low junk will always work against such players.

by Suliso Badosa takes the first

by Suliso
ponchi101 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:10 pm That's how she plays. Why should she change her style now? She is playing against a player that loves pace, and that is tall. Low junk will always work against such players.
Yes, but can anyone junk ball to a GS title? I don't think so.

by jazzyg
Suliso wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:12 pm Badosa takes the first
On, predictably, a Kvitova double fault.

by ponchi101
Suliso wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:14 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:10 pm That's how she plays. Why should she change her style now? She is playing against a player that loves pace, and that is tall. Low junk will always work against such players.
Yes, but can anyone junk ball to a GS title? I don't think so.
I am not expecting to win the tournament. But against Anisimova, she has no other style of play to use. I think Anisimova will figure it out and win, but Tan will try to throw as much junk as possible.

by jazzyg
Suliso wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:54 pm
I agree with you, but let's not underestimate Tan, either. She beat Boulter 6-1-6-1 today. Boulter already had wins on grass this year against Pliskova twice and Garcia and Maria, both of whom are still in the draw, and her losses were to Halep and Kvitova, who also are still in the draw. I did not see any of the Tan-Boulter match, but Boulter's style is very similar to Anisimova's.

by Suliso
Deuce wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:38 pm You're seriously writing her off after only 3 games?
We were correctly writing her off because of how badly she plays today not because of the scoreline at that moment.

by ponchi101 She has just literally hit one smash that hit the back of the court ON THE FLY. She is playing terrible tennis.
5 games lost in a row, winning just one point in that stretch. 23-1, points to Cornet.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:30 pm She has just literally hit one smash that hit the back of the court ON THE FLY. She is playing terrible tennis.
Yeah, things aren't going her way. If Cornet pulls this off, I think Cuckoo4Coco should get a medal for calling it.

by patrick Look like someone predicted correctly on Cornet today as she is serving for the match at 6-4, 5-2

by Tolulops From 2-0 to 2-5 in the second set was not how I expected Iga to go :?

by Suliso Indeed some regrouping will be necessary. Her next tournament is only clay in Warsaw. That should help and then off to the hard courts in US. Let's see how well she can do on a faster version of hard courts. Should be better than grass definitely.

The win streak stops at 37. Tied with Hingis for best by anyone not named Navratilova, Graf or Evert.

by Suliso Zheng lost too :(

by patrick We got a new expert on this site as Swiatek streak ends at 37

by meganfernandez
Tolulops wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:33 pm From 2-0 to 2-5 in the second set was not how I expected Iga to go :?
You and Cornet only. :) Wow... Okay, can Cornet win Wimbledon? Why the heck not?? I hope she gets to the semis. She has never been to a Slam semi. Just made her first quarter at the Australian.

I didn't think Iga would win the tournament. Halep's to lose? Jabeur's? Her draw is easier.

by ponchi101 Well, that was a 6-0 in disguise. I felt Iga would at least push it to three.
Good call for those that said Alize would upset her :clap: :clap: :clap:
And Alize goes against Tomljanovic, a winnable match.

by patrick What about Cornet vs Tan in the SF on Thursday?

by ponchi101
meganfernandez wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:35 pm
Tolulops wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:33 pm From 2-0 to 2-5 in the second set was not how I expected Iga to go :?
You and Cornet only. :) Wow... Okay, can Cornet win Wimbledon? Why the heck not?? I hope she gets to the semis. She has never been to a Slam semi. Just made her first quarter at the Australian.

I didn't think Iga would win the tournament. Halep's to lose? Jabeur's? Her draw is easier.
Jabeur's to lose. By an eyelash. This is as wide open as RG was closed.

by meganfernandez
patrick wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:35 pm We got a new expert on this site as Swiatek streak ends at 37
Yeah, I'm starting to think C4C is actually just C herself. :) If she hadn't been posting while Gauff was on court today, I'd be asking if we have ever seen them in the same place at the same time.

by jazzyg This is exactly how Swiatek looked at the end of her match against Jabeur last year.

She is the truth on clay, but I do not even think she would be No. 1 in the world right now if Barty had kept playing. She sure as heck would not have had this incredible winning streak. The top of the women's game is the weakest it's ever been (not in ability, but in actual performance) despite impressive depth. A lot of factors came together to keep her century-best winning streak going, but I never felt like she was playing next-level tennis off of clay.

by meganfernandez
patrick wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:36 pm What about Cornet vs Tan in the SF on Thursday?
please please please.

Cornet just said this reminds her of the time she beat Serena on this court 8 years ago (when Serena was No. 1). Oh yes.

by Suliso Cornet will not get very far. Maybe one more win. This was more about Swiatek playing her C game. She already struggled two days ago with an opponent far weaker than Alize. That was a bad sign...

by patrick
meganfernandez wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:37 pm
patrick wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:35 pm We got a new expert on this site as Swiatek streak ends at 37
Yeah, I'm starting to think C4C is actually just C herself. :) If she hadn't been posting while Gauff was on court today, I'd be asking if we have ever seen them in the same place at the same time.
Think C4C had tennis practice today.

by Suliso Swiatek is a copy of Henin. In ability not character mind you! Luckily for her in a far weaker era so she might win more than Justine did.

by jazzyg Martic through. She's had a horrible year, but her game suits this surface.

Rybakina, playing to her potential for the first time all year, will be her next opponent. I like Rybakina in that one, but it should be entertaining.

by ponchi101
Suliso wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:34 pm Indeed some regrouping will be necessary. Her next tournament is only clay in Warsaw. That should help and then off to the hard courts in US. Let's see how well she can do on a faster version of hard courts. Should be better than grass definitely.

The win streak stops at 37. Tied with Hingis for best by anyone not named Navratilova, Graf or Evert OR COURT.
I know she is unmentionable, but she hit a 57 streak once.

by meganfernandez
Suliso wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:39 pm Swiatek is a copy of Henin. In ability not character mind you! Luckily for her in a far weaker era so she might win more than Justine did.
I think Swiatek takes the ball a lot earlier, right? She plays into the court at her best, almost leans into the court. She's more imposing, more physical.

by jazzyg Henin was very good coming forward. Swiatek not so much.

by Suliso
ponchi101 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:43 pm
Suliso wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:34 pm Indeed some regrouping will be necessary. Her next tournament is only clay in Warsaw. That should help and then off to the hard courts in US. Let's see how well she can do on a faster version of hard courts. Should be better than grass definitely.

The win streak stops at 37. Tied with Hingis for best by anyone not named Navratilova, Graf or Evert OR COURT.
I know she is unmentionable, but she hit a 57 streak once.
Sorry, forgot her. But even longer ago...

by meganfernandez Coco's going to be more disappointed now that Iga is out. Her draw could have opened up.

by Suliso
jazzyg wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:45 pm Henin was very good coming forward. Swiatek not so much.
Yes, but Swiatek at 21 should not be at her peak yet. We'll see. Depends who else comes up in the next 3-5 years.

by Suliso
meganfernandez wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:45 pm Coco's going to be more disappointed now that Iga is out. Her draw could have opened up.
Her game has serious technical flaws. Definitely more than Iga's. Need to work on those.

by ponchi101
Suliso wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:39 pm Swiatek is a copy of Henin. In ability not character mind you! Luckily for her in a far weaker era so she might win more than Justine did.
Expand, please. I agree they both are very strong mentally (Henin with her coaching crutch), but their styles are remarkably different.
About this being a weak era: it is an era of parity. I still don't know if it is weak (lots of players at about the same level).

by Suliso Styles are different, but I meant similar physique (slight built, average height) and coming from clay background. Could be formidable elsewhere, but nowhere close to what they are on clay. If this was on clay Cornet woild have lost in straight.

by ponchi101
A NEW EXPERT? Have you seen our track record? Kind of: do we FINALLY have an expert on this site? ;)

by ponchi101 How about Badosa? We are not even mentioning her, yet, she is the second highest seed left. Could she sneak into a title?

by Suliso Who is not mentioning? I voted for her in your poll before the tournament ;)

by Suliso It's the strongest section of the draw - Badosa, Halep and Anisimova.

by ponchi101 But there has been very few talk about her. Yes, you did, and last year I said she could win W (I think she has a very good serve) but after that 2R defeat at Eastbourne, the rest of us have not mentioned her as a possible champ. I like her chances against Halep.

by jazzyg Badosa certainly can beat Halep if she has a good day and Halep is slightly off, but Halep exploited her movement big time when they played a couple months ago.

I preferred a Halep matchup against Kvitova because Kvitova can fall apart at a moment's notice and Badosa takes herself very seriously. I expect the score to be lopsided one way or the other, depending on Halep's form and Badosa's ability to limit her errors.

by Cuckoo4Coco As soon as I got off the court I checked my phone for the scores and saw that Alize Cornet won in straight sets. I was like WOW :o . I didn't think it would have been that easy for Alize, but then I looked at the unforced errors and the points percentage won on 2nd serve and I can see how Alize won.

The upsets continue to happen, especially on that side of the draw and things really look open for Badosa and Halep. I really hope Anisimova can keep going but I am not sure that will happen. Rybakina is also benefiting in all of this.

by Cuckoo4Coco
patrick wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:38 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:37 pm
Think C4C had tennis practice today.
:lol: LMAO Oh God I wish I was Coco.

by Cuckoo4Coco
ponchi101 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:05 pm
A NEW EXPERT? Have you seen our track record? Kind of: do we FINALLY have an expert on this site? ;)
Expert. No way. Just had that gut feeling and went with it and got lucky.

by ponchi101 Kyrgios decides to start having a talk/problems with the chair right before the TB starts.
Why? Because the chair corrected a ball that was called OUT to IN, a ball hit by Kyrgios. He makes it so hard on everybody that is trying to cheer for him.

by Cuckoo4Coco What really got me as I watched the whole conversation is he flipped the F-Word and no warning from the Chair Umpire at all. Why are they so inconsistent?

by ponchi101 Because on a few occasions, the chair has done nothing but her/his job, and they have been the ones told they were wrong.
When Rafa had his issues with Bernardes, with Bernardes being right (he called Rafa for time violations), the solution by the tour was to not assign Bernardes to his matches. Sometimes, the chair is really blamed for what the players get away with.

by Cuckoo4Coco
ponchi101 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:00 pm Because on a few occasions, the chair has done nothing but her/his job, and they have been the ones told they were wrong.
When Rafa had his issues with Bernardes, with Bernardes being right (he called Rafa for time violations), the solution by the tour was to not assign Bernardes to his matches. Sometimes, the chair is really blamed for what the players get away with.
That is the thing, the chair umpire is doing their job but really they have to do their job with their hands tied behind their backs. It is not right.

by Cuckoo4Coco With the way the draws are building up here is the way I am now seeing the men's and women's SF's turning out. You will see that I have to have an American player on both sides in there.

Men's Draw
Djokovic vs. Norrie
Nakashima vs. Nadal

Women's Draw
Rybakina vs. Amisimova
Jabeur vs. Ostapenko

by ponchi101 And as soon as you mention inconsistencies.
Tsitsipas loses the set, and hits a ball into the stands, which "touched" a spectator. Basically the same infraction that cost Davidovich Fokina the second warning.
And he got called for nothing. It is really infuriating how inconsistent they are.

by Cuckoo4Coco Krygios is furious about that and is still talking about it several games after the fact which I find ridiculous, but that is just who he is.

How much do these Chair Umpires make because this one is surely working for his money today?

by ponchi101 And now, Tsitsipas gets docked one point because he hit one ball out of the court, returning an underhand serve from Kyrgios. Two hyper-talented players, putting on the wrong show.

by dryrunguy I just saw Scud in Stefanos' box. When did that happen?

by Cuckoo4Coco The Krygios and Tsitispas match is turning into a mad house zoo.

by dryrunguy Did Stefanos just hit an easy volley long because he was trying to hit Kyrgios with the ball?

by ponchi101
dryrunguy wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:56 pm I just saw Scud in Stefanos' box. When did that happen?
Seems like an arrangement for Wimbledon.

by texasniteowl
dryrunguy wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:59 pm Did Stefanos just hit an easy volley long because he was trying to hit Kyrgios with the ball?
looked like it to me, but interpretations may vary

by ponchi101 Yep. These two are not having a beer together later tonight.

by Cuckoo4Coco
ponchi101 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:02 pm Yep. These two are not having a beer together later tonight.
This is the kind of tennis I don't like and to be honest I really don't like either of these players very much.

by JTContinental The remaining women's draw is very strange

by JTContinental
ponchi101 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:22 pm How about Badosa? We are not even mentioning her, yet, she is the second highest seed left. Could she sneak into a title?
No, says TMQ

by Suliso
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:22 pm You will see that I have to have an American player on both sides in there.
You'd be even better at predicting results if you abandoned this idea. It's not happening, particularly for men.

by Federex
texasniteowl wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:00 pm
dryrunguy wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:59 pm Did Stefanos just hit an easy volley long because he was trying to hit Kyrgios with the ball?
looked like it to me, but interpretations may vary
He definitely meant that. I dont like Kyrgios but Tsisipas 's disgusting behaviours are even more disgusting.
And the BBC commentator trying to defend Tsisipas is a joke

by Suliso Since Zheng lost I'll jump to Rybakina as her replacement in SF's. Ostapenko vs Badosa final perhaps?

by ponchi101 I admire all of you guys' bravery. I would only attempt to predict the SF's of the WTA after ALL matches have started, and then I I am sure I would miss one.
Having said that: Anisimova/Rybakina, Jabeur/Maria.

by dryrunguy Oh you silly people... Harmony Tan has this title in the bag. Instead of a trophy, she'll get a carburetor.

by ponchi101 They just showed a replay of the Tsitsipas incident. He hit the ball into the stands, it hit the wall, THEH hit an spectator.
I am sure Gerry Armstrong is hoping Kyrgios will win, so he will not have to default Tsitsipas for the next round.

by Cuckoo4Coco
Suliso wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:11 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:22 pm You will see that I have to have an American player on both sides in there.
You'd be even better at predicting results if you abandoned this idea. It's not happening, particularly for men.
I doubt it will happen but I have to represent my own country. I think the best chance is on the women's side with Amanda to reach the final but I still think Ons Jabeur will win it all on the women's side now.

The men's side still got to pick Novak for the entire thing and the final will probably be against Nadal again but I am hoping for that the change.

by jazzyg Halep/Rybakina

Jabeur/Ostapenko.

(But I know someone who loves women's tennis who insists Neimeier will get there)

by ti-amie Kyrgios and Stefanos in a 4th set TB. 5-4 Kyrgios

by dryrunguy Well, there were more handshakes at the end of that match than I thought there would be.

by Cuckoo4Coco Both players make some great shots but the crap that they do, especially Krygios is beyond ridiculous.

by jazzyg Never mind the behavior, which will never change from Kyrgios, but he is focusing like he never has before. Predicting his outcomes is perilous, but he should make the semifinals and has a shot to win this tournament. I've never, ever thought that before now.

by ponchi101 I say he makes the final, and only Djokovic can bring him down. I really don't think Rafa, with his "back pressed to the wall" return position, can handle that serve.

by ponchi101
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:19 pm Both players make some great shots but the crap that they do, especially Krygios is beyond ridiculous.
Truly unfortunate, his behavior, because just based on talent, he has got to be 1 of the top 5 most talented players I have ever seen. In over 4 decades of watching this sport.

by dryrunguy
jazzyg wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:20 pm Never mind the behavior, which will never change from Kyrgios, but he is focusing like he never has before. Predicting his outcomes is perilous, but he should make the semifinals and has a shot to win this tournament. I've never, ever thought that before now.
I wonder if the difference in his focus can be attributed to the fact his father is there. I've seen his mother at many of his matches. I've seen his sister and brother at some matches. But I don't remember ever seeing his father at a match. This year, his whole family is there (except for his brother, unless I missed him).

by jazzyg
Suliso wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:11 pm
I think Fritz has a legit shot at the semis. He will beat Kubler to get to the quarterfinals, and he beat Rafa the last time they played.

by Cuckoo4Coco
ponchi101 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:24 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:19 pm Both players make some great shots but the crap that they do, especially Krygios is beyond ridiculous.
Truly unfortunate, his behavior, because just based on talent, he has got to be 1 of the top 5 most talented players I have ever seen. In over 4 decades of watching this sport.
His next match is against American Brandon Nakashima and I hope he can deal with all the foolishness that is going to come in that match from Krygios. I really feel his antics give him an advantage when he really doesn't even need that to give him one. I hope Brandon beats him and gets what I guess would be an upset.

by Cuckoo4Coco I am gonna predict Upset Part 2 of the tournament. Brandon Nakashima in his next match over Nick Krygios. Now it doesn't matter how he wins either incase Krygios defaults the match. ;)

I will see if the lucky streak strikes twice. I doubt it will because I do have to say I follow women's tennis more than men's tennis which is really weird why I am still alive in the men's SP and been out of the women's side since like day 2. :lol:

by ponchi101
jazzyg wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:27 pm ...

I think Fritz has a legit shot at the semis. He will beat Kubler to get to the quarterfinals, and he beat Rafa the last time they played.
Fritz has a shot, but he beat Nadal at IW, with a little help from a broken rib. That was a particularly helpful handicap.

by ti-amie

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote:Yep. These two are not having a beer together later tonight.
They had a warm handshake at the net after their tense match in Halle…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Cuckoo4Coco
ponchi101 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:44 pm
jazzyg wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:27 pm ...

Fritz has a shot, but he beat Nadal at IW, with a little help from a broken rib. That was a particularly helpful handicap.
I do think he has a shot and I think it could possibly end up an All American SF if all things go right and Nakashima wins over Krygios and then possibly wins over De Minaur. That would be pretty crazy.

by ti-amie

by ponchi101 Serious question. Yes, Kyrgios' behavior is far from exemplary. But, is he a bully? You could make an argument that he is, towards the officiating crew. He certainly is NOT to the ball kids. He may play psychologically with you, because he is so talented he will play silly points and still beat you. But I am not sure if bully is the adjective.

by dryrunguy Put me down in the "They're Both Wrong" category. It's a real shame. In spite of the shenanigans, it was a really outstanding match from both players that has been jaded by the behavior of both during the match and after it. The only question is who is more egregiously wrong between the two. For me, during the match, that's easily Kyrgios. After the match, I'll call it a draw. I don't know how to properly rate "sour grapes" vs the "when bad things happen to me, someone else is always to blame" default orientation.

And for the record, and this in no way excuses anything Nick has ever done, if anyone was probably bullied as a kid, it was probably Kyrgios who was on the receiving end of it.

by Federex They are both bad, but Tsitsipas' is far worse for me. Hitting a tennis balls at the crowd is big no-no. Could cause serious injury and should be a default Amazed the UK commentators downplayed that incident just because they all hate Kyrgios.

And no Kyrgios is annoying and unsportsmanlike but bully is the wrong word. If he got bullied by those tactics, Tsisipas is a loser and will never win a slam.

by Cuckoo4Coco I dislike both of the players really and think they are both wrong for the way they acted on the court today. This is a freaking tennis match so go out and play freaking tennis. All that other crap is total nonsense. Yeah what Tsitsipas did was extremely wrong and should have never happened. He is a professional and should never let the frustrations of another idiot player get to him. He made himself look like an idiot by hitting that ball into the stands and almost hitting a fan which should never happen and something should have been done in that case.

As for Krygios his carrying on and acting like an idiot pretty much the entire match is also uncalled for. Go out and play tennis. He is also a professional tennis player and the display I saw him put on today and many other times is far from that.

Both of these players are extremely talented but I hope someone takes down Krygios in the next round or two because his display of unprofessionalism is ridiculous.

by meganfernandez
jazzyg wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:04 pm Halep/Rybakina

Jabeur/Ostapenko.

(But I know someone who loves women's tennis who insists Neimeier will get there)
It's not out of the question if Jabeur gets jumpy and Ostapenko goes off the rails. Mertens and Garcia are both looking strong, but they are both in Jabeur's quarter, so Neimeier would only have to deal with one of them. Wouldn't it be wild if Heather Watson made it?

by ponchi101 Not going to click 4 THANKS buttons, but thanks for the input on Nick and Steph.
Could have the first time to kindergarteners played a match at Wimbledon.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:56 pm Serious question. Yes, Kyrgios' behavior is far from exemplary. But, is he a bully? You could make an argument that he is, towards the officiating crew. He certainly is NOT to the ball kids. He may play psychologically with you, because he is so talented he will play silly points and still beat you. But I am not sure if bully is the adjective.
They were both wrong, but Nick is far worse IMO. I absolutely consider him a bully. Not of his opponents, but the umpires and media. At one tournament this spring, he was an outright bully to one reporter. Even called him names. His habit of relentlessly verbally abusing people and causing disruptions on the court -- unprovoked - is the worst thing I have seen in the last 20 or 30 years. It's constant, and it's wildly unprofessional and disrespectful to the opponent, umpires, linespeople - everyone. I didn't see Stef hit the ball into the stands, but unless it was a line drive that could have nailed someone, it's not in the same category of behavior as Nick's rampages. (But Stef should have received whatever penalty is in the rule book.)

by Cuckoo4Coco The Stef hit into the stands was not a little lob but was also not a line drive screamer into the stands. He did apologize to the guy it almost hit and the guy seemed fine with it. It wasn't the right thing to do for sure but after the fact Nick talked about it for over a game later. The constant chattering whether it was with his box or with the chair umpire and the language he used was out of control. That is disruptive. You come to play tennis. Not to do that sort of crap the entire match and it was pretty much the entire match. So yeah what he does acting like an idiot benefits him and gives him an advantage.

by ponchi101 My problem is what you said before: the inconsistency. Foki got a warning for also a ball that was not a screamer into the stands. (We know what happened and how it all snowballed). So, ok, let's for a moment grant the Chair some discretionary powers. But in this case, at a minimum, a warning was warranted. Yet nothing was said or done to Stef.

by Federex Come on. Tsisipas hit to crowd is pretty much a line-drive and missed a spectator head by 10cm! In fact the ball hit him on rebounce. Watch it on Twitter it is very clear he hits it hard.

Bottom line is this is actually worse than what get Djokovic DQ.
If that is a default, so should be this. The fact the spectator got lucky and avoid a direct hit by 10cm is irrelevant.

You can see why the crowd totally turned against Tsisipas after that.

Kyrgios are certainly bully to officials etc for sure.
But if I am sitting there watching the match I will be more pissed at the guy hitting at the crowd for sure.

by Cuckoo4Coco I am not saying at all that what Stef did was correct and the inconsistencies of calls like that are terrible and he should have been defaulted for it, but if you see him gesture and apologize to the guy that he almost hit the guy responded to him like it was no big deal. The stroke was also definitely not as hard as he could have hit it into the stands for absolutely sure. Like I said he didn't lob the ball into the stands but he didn't scream the ball into the stands as hard as he could for sure. I also never said that the ball didn't come very close to hitting that fan because it did and that no matter how hard the ball was hit was absolutely wrong. The thing is he apologized to the fan and the fan accepted that and didn't seem to think it was that big of a deal. The player that made a huge deal of it was Nick Krygios for over a game or so after the fact with his constant bickering which was nothing more than a nuisance because the situation was squashed and over. That is how Nick Krygios keeps the agitation and frustration going in matches and he does it with pure brilliance and he knows he is doing it. He keeps things going that are long over with just to keep the agitation going.

I am not a fan of either of the players and will be extremely happy with Nick Krygios exits the tournament as well.

by jazzyg There has never been a player even remotely like Kyrgios, who disrespects the game, his opponents, the chair umpire and pretty much anyone he comes into contact with on the court to the nth degree.

That said, I was still pulling for him today because I love his tennis when he is focused and believe he would have a better chance of beating Nadal if they played than Tsitsipas would. And in the unlikely event he reaches the final, I would love for Djokovic to beat him for the first time there, although I'm not assuming Djokovic will get to the final like everyone else is. He could have a tough match with the Alcaraz-Sinner winner in the quarters.

by ti-amie Stef should've been disqualified full stop.

by meganfernandez Did anyone hear what Nadal said to Sonego at the net? Did he call Sonego up to the net for a chat at some point? Friend was texting me about it, I wasn't watching. Then Nadal talked to him for awhile at the net. Then said in press he was wrong to call Sonego to the net during the match. Some are saying it was about Sonego's grunting during the point, which Nadal complained to the umpire about. Sorry if this has already been discussed. I wasn't on the thread this afternoon and skimmed it.

by jazzyg Yes, that is what happened. Nadal complained to the umpire about Sonego's grunting, which extended well after contact and he considered a hindrance, then called Sonego to the net to discuss it with him. Sonego told him to take it up with the umpire, and Nadal said he already had. Their meeting at the net after the match was not friendly, but after a lengthy back and forth, they agreed to settle the dispute in the locker room.

What really happened is Nadal was up 4-2 when they agreed to close the roof after much complaining about the lack of light from Sonego. That irritated Nadal, and when Sonego then broke him for the first time to draw even at 4-4, he was really ornery. But as Nadal almost always does, he hit the reset button immediately and broke back before finishing him off in the next game.

by meganfernandez
jazzyg wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:59 am Yes, that is what happened. Nadal complained to the umpire about Sonego's grunting, which extended well after contact and he considered a hindrance, then called Sonego to the net to discuss it with him. Sonego told him to take it up with the umpire, and Nadal said he already had. Their meeting at the net after the match was not friendly, but after a lengthy back and forth, they agreed to settle the dispute in the locker room.

What really happened is Nadal was up 4-2 when they agreed to close the roof after much complaining about the lack of light from Sonego. That irritated Nadal, and when Sonego then broke him for the first time to draw even at 4-4, he was really ornery. But as Nadal almost always does, he hit the reset button immediately and broke back before finishing him off in the next game.
Thanks! Nadal's self-professed lapse of decorum in calling Sonego to the net probably didn't affect the outcome, I guess. Someone (maybe Sonego himself) said Nadal rattled Sonego by calling him up for a little discussion, but I doubt Sonego was going to turn the match around.

Really looking forward to tomorrow and merely normal drama, if any.

by Deuce
Suliso wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:25 pm
Deuce wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:38 pm You're seriously writing her off after only 3 games?
We were correctly writing her off because of how badly she plays today not because of the scoreline at that moment.
3 games is a very short period of time to decide that a player is not going to play well during the entire match. Especially a player who has had more success than any other player - male or female - this year.

Your assessment turned out to be correct this time - but I think that will be an exception, not a rule, whenever assessing a pro player after only 3 games.

by Suliso It wasn't 3 games. It was 3 games + the entire previous match. Thus greater chances of being correcrt. Not 100%, but greater than 50% for sure.

by Deuce ...while completely discounting the past 4 months.
Ok - that's your right, certainly. I simply think that it's ill-advised to give up so easily and quickly on a player who has been so dominant recently. This approach will usually be wrong more than it will be right in my opinion.

by Deuce
jazzyg wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:13 am There has never been a player even remotely like Kyrgios, who disrespects the game, his opponents, the chair umpire and pretty much anyone he comes into contact with on the court to the nth degree.
^ Those who saw Nastase play might disagree with your take that there's never been anyone remotely close to Kyrgios.
ti-amie wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:19 am Stef should've been disqualified full stop.
^ BOTH of them should have been disqualified!

Tsitsipas not only hit that semi line-drive just missing a spectator's head, but also returned a Kyrgios underhand serve by smashing a HARD line drive about 4 feet over the heads of Gerry Armstrong (tournament referee) and the other tournament officials sitting in that section. And he did it very deliberately - there was NO attempt to hit the ball into the court at all. When he did that I thought he'd be defaulted right away - especially because it came after he had previously hit the semi line-drive narrowly missing some fans.
I don't know if he knew that the officials were seated there - but I figure he should have known, as he has played Wimbledon a few times in the past. He certainly knew that there were some people there, and he still hit the ball very hard and only about 4 feet over their heads.

As childish and full of dung as both these guys are, it does bring back memories of the various 'shenanigans' that were often present in the Connors/McEnroe era. And Nastase before that, of course. Connors learned vulgar behaviour from Nastase, and McEnroe learned disrespectful behaviour from Connors.
I will admit that it was entertaining back then, though - as was today's Kyrgios - Tsitsipas match. As juvenile and pitiful as much of the behaviour is, it does add an element and a dimension that two automatons playing each other will never have.
It would not be a good thing if all players behaved well. Contrast and difference is good. We need heroes and villains... ying and yang... S&V and baseline...

I saw somewhere (either in a post here or in an article) that someone mentioned that they'd never seen a player call another player up to the net to 'lecture' them during a match before (Nadal - Sonego). Connors did that a few times with McEnroe. Sometimes McEnroe refused to go to the net for the 'discussion', so Connors just yelled at him from his side of the net.

Some of you wonder if Kyrgios qualifies as a 'bully'...
The word I would use to describe Kyrgios is 'Asshole'.
The word I would use to describe Tsitsipas is 'Asshole'.
When two assholes play each other, no-one wins.
But it is captivating...

by ponchi101
jazzyg wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:13 am There has never been a player even remotely like Kyrgios, who disrespects the game, his opponents, the chair umpire and pretty much anyone he comes into contact with on the court to the nth degree.

That said, I was still pulling for him today because I love his tennis when he is focused and believe he would have a better chance of beating Nadal if they played than Tsitsipas would. And in the unlikely event he reaches the final, I would love for Djokovic to beat him for the first time there, although I'm not assuming Djokovic will get to the final like everyone else is. He could have a tough match with the Alcaraz-Sinner winner in the quarters.
Disrespect for the game: we know he has tanked sets and full matches. He then claims that clay is a stupid surface, and does not play on it. And here, openly saying that setting doubles matches to 5 set is "stupid". If you disagree, fine, but find another word. So, check.
Disrespect for his opponents. The infamous Wawrinka/Vekic comment. Some shot selection that is trying to tell the other player that he is better. When you get Nadal to comment on you negatively, that is something. So, check.
Disrespect to the chair umpire. Simply, check. So many events.
Disrespect to like judges. Again, so many. Check.
Disrespect to the crowd. Incidents involving spitting towards the crowd. Check.

I have been watching tennis since the 70's, and I can't find a way to disagree with you. Connors, McEnroe and Nastase never tanked a match (Connors did refuse to continue playing in that match at Key Byscaine, which I find is different). Rios did tank matches, but I can't recall such rude interactions with the crowd.
About him beating Rafa. Yes, I can't see Rafa dealing with this much power on grass. Then again, Rafa is underrated as a strategist. So, let's see, but I agree. Kyrgios will beat him.
But I think Novak has enough in the return to get it back, and once the point starts, it will be advantage Novak. I think that will be the final.