With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

Grips

Our main board to talk about our sport
Ainsley United States of America

Grips

Post by Ainsley »

There are basically 4 types of tennis grips. The Continental, Eastern, Semi-Western, and Western Grip. Each of these grips have advantages and disadvantages to playing a certain style of tennis.

Using the Continental grip there is little to no grip change for other shots and it is very easy to hit a low bouncing ball. There is also a lack of topspin that is generated when using this grip and a lower power potential is usually achieved when using this grip. It is also difficult hitting the higher bouncing balls with this grip.

Using the Eastern grip which was used by Pete Sampras and Steffi Graf. Today it is still a quite popular grip to use. It is ideal for serve and volley players, and players can achieve good topspin with this grip. This grip also works well on faster court surfaces. It is also easy for beginners to learn this grip. This grip however generates less topspin than the Western grip and it is difficult to hit high bouncing balls. It is also not ideal for aggressive baseline players to use this grip.

The Semi-Western grip which was used by Martina Hingis and Andre Agassi and more recently by Novak Djokovic and Serena Williams. It is also the grip that I use. It is probably the most popular grip today on the tour.

This grip gives you excellent topspin and is ideal for baseline and all court players. The higher bouncing balls are not difficult to hit in using this grip and the grip works well on all court surfaces. There is some difficulty with low bouncing balls with this grip.

The final grip is the Western Grip. This is thegrip you would use to generate maximum topspin. This grip is great for slower Clay court surfaces. It is also ideal for baseline players and the high bouncing ball is easy to hit using this grip.

The grip is a pretty extreme grip and changing for different shots is very difficult making it very hard for beginners to learn how to use this grip. It is also hard to handle the low bouncing ball using this grip.

I am a baseline player who likes to dictate the pace of the match and the shot play and the Semi-Western grip has worked for my style of play.

What grip do you use?
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: Grips

Post by ponchi101 »

Eastern on my FH, western on my BH.
And, sorry, my dear, YOUNG friend. Steffi hit with a Continental on the FH. ;)
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by Ainsley »

ponchi101 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:29 pm Eastern on my FH, western on my BH.
And, sorry, my dear, YOUNG friend. Steffi hit with a Continental on the FH. ;)
Are you sure about that? Everything I see about her forehand grip is she used an Eastern grip.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Positive. My favorite player of all time, and that grip amazed me.

Post by Ainsley »

ponchi101 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:43 pm Positive. My favorite player of all time, and that grip amazed me.
If you look her up though it all says Eastern grip. I will take your word for it. I haven't seen much of her play other than some videos and she did have an unusual forehand.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

I started playing in the '80s.
If I try a western grip, I hit the ball straight into my feet. :lol:
It seems incredibly unnatural to me.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Post by Ainsley »

Deuce wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:13 am I started playing in the '80s.
If I try a western grip, I hit the ball straight into my feet. :lol:
It seems incredibly unnatural to me.
I think the extreme western grip is the least used grip on tour and especially recreationally used.

The Semi-Western grip is the one I use and am comfortable with as it helps me generate great topspin and strong baseline play. I am also not a very good volleyer or overhead hitter. I also would say I have an average serve at best.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Only player ever with good volleys, hitting with a semi-western FH grip, was Becker.
Everybody else needs to learn to spin that racket as you approach and lock on a continental once you are inside the service box. NO exceptions.

Post by Ainsley »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:22 am Only player ever with good volleys, hitting with a semi-western FH grip, was Becker.
Everybody else needs to learn to spin that racket as you approach and lock on a continental once you are inside the service box. NO exceptions.
The little I've seen from Boris Becker he seemed like he was as strong as an Ox.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Ainsley wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:23 am
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:22 am Only player ever with good volleys, hitting with a semi-western FH grip, was Becker.
The little I've seen from Boris Becker he seemed like he was as strong as an Ox.
^ But not as smart as one. :D
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Post by Ainsley »

Deuce wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:45 am
Ainsley wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:23 am
^ But not as smart as one. :D
:lol: Hahaha LMAO
Scoob Canada

Post by Scoob »

I use an Eastern Grip.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Translation: "I have been playing for over 30 years..." ;)
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

I try to use a grip on reality.
Scoob Canada

Post by Scoob »

ponchi101 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:08 am Translation: "I have been playing for over 30 years..." ;)
I have been playing since the late 70's when I first really picked up a racquet and then through the 80's to the present.