ATP M1000 Monte Carlo 4/9 - 4/16 2023

To talk about both tours
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: ATP M1000 Monte Carlo 4/9 - 4/16 2023

Post by ti-amie »

I don't know how many of you remember and maybe I do because of posting OoP's and draws for so long but Fritz was playing here and other European clay court events for at least the last 3-5 years. He wasn't doing well but he was learning, and he was the only young US player doing so. He is still learning but I'm not surprised he's done well here. It's not a surprise to me and it's why I low key support him.

As far as US players are concerned I think he's the #1. In another year or two Shelton may be nipping at his heels but right now Shelton is doing what Fritz did. He knows he might not win but he's getting first had knowledge of what the stuff feels like underfoot and how to adjust his game to suit it.

Is Tiafoe in the top three US mix? The European swing will be very important for him also. Rome of course is the big test for all of them.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:24 pm
nelslus wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:16 pm ...

OK, sure I'm not getting over Medvedev's behaviors on the court in his pretty recent past. But, you know what? If I have a very recent history of "allegedly" beating up (at least) one girlfriend- I at am going to have enough common sense (or my PR team is gonna stress this enough) to get that I need to keep a very, very low profile, and that i am in no position to question any other player's behaviors. Ever, I.E.- STFU.
So, the fact that the ATP issued a statement saying they found no evidence of this happening means nothing? We spoke about this; the ATP, and even the legal system, never pronounces anybody "innocent". You get a "not guilty" or, as was this case, "no proofs of the allegation".
It makes no difference? He will always be seen as an abuser?

If you want to go for accuracy, the investigation said insufficient evidence, not no evidence or no proof.

Nelslus' post actually just states the fact that he was accused and would be wise to not give interviews where he comes off as a douche, which has nothing to do with his guilt or innocence.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:53 pm I don't know how many of you remember and maybe I do because of posting OoP's and draws for so long but Fritz was playing here and other European clay court events for at least the last 3-5 years. He wasn't doing well but he was learning, and he was the only young US player doing so. He is still learning but I'm not surprised he's done well here. It's not a surprise to me and it's why I low key support him.

As far as US players are concerned I think he's the #1. In another year or two Shelton may be nipping at his heels but right now Shelton is doing what Fritz did. He knows he might not win but he's getting first had knowledge of what the stuff feels like underfoot and how to adjust his game to suit it.

Is Tiafoe in the top three US mix? The European swing will be very important for him also. Rome of course is the big test for all of them.
I remember. Every other question to Vika and Serena was about the whereabouts of Leo and Olympia and we were supposed to be praising Fritz for playing the clay court season away from his kid with barely a question about his whereabouts.

And I was never good with the characterization that he was "the only young US player" that went to European clay courts. He was not. He was the one the getting praised for it, not the only one there. Because he's who they wanted to be the #1 US player, so everything about him got spun to a positive. And it was always ignored that he was one who could afford to go to Europe for an extended time without question no matter what the career earnings were at the time. Which goes back to Ruud's comment about the changes made to the scheduling.

I don't mind Fritz, and I have no problem watching his matches and depending on the opponent, might even root for him as I did today.

I don't understand the framing of Frances at all as a top 3 with a question mark. Just reached a career high ranking of 11 this week. Unless there is an undercover American in the top 10, he's unquestionably in the Top 3.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Frances seems to be taking tennis seriously now and has since he dropped his friend as his coach. Based on what Dustin Brown said about his attitude during their doubles play and how they echoed Serena's from a couple of years ago I'm always afraid he'll slip back into old habits. I guess what I'm saying is that I want to see him consistently play at the level he did in Houston.

As it stands he'll be seeded #11 at both Madrid and Rome since both Entry Lists reflect the rankings. The scheduling of these tournaments is brutal.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

mmmm8 wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:34 pm ...

If you want to go for accuracy, the investigation said insufficient evidence, not no evidence or no proof.

Nelslus' post actually just states the fact that he was accused and would be wise to not give interviews where he comes off as a douche, which has nothing to do with his guilt or innocence.
Which is the point. He is giving an interview about the behavior of an opponent during a match which, in this view, he should not give because he was accused of a domestic violence case for which there was "insufficient evidence". But, because he is talking about this opponent's behavior, we have to remember and judge him for the alleged case, not take the statement about this match as a separate issue.
I was watching the match, and Daniil's break was a bit strategic. I can see why Zverev would be a bit angry, especially since he lost. And I wonder who of the two players here came out as a douche (and I am not a fan of either player, although I really like Zverev's game and dislike Daniil's).
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Isner was pretty good on clay - don't know his record but in a Davis Cup match I watched, he almost beat Nadal,! Big serve and big forehand will win you a lot of points, especially on clay, even if your movement is not great ..which is why I am not surprised at Fritz...the fact that he has put in the work to learn how clay feels, as noted above,, us certainly commendable too..self-awareness !

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:22 pm Frances seems to be taking tennis seriously now and has since he dropped his friend as his coach.
His friend served him well as coach and is the main reason Michael Mmoh is having the best year of his career. Ever consider why the tennis community talked down about him when he was Frances' coach?
nelslus United States of America

Post by nelslus »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:24 pmSo, the fact that the ATP issued a statement saying they found no evidence of this happening means nothing? We spoke about this; the ATP, and even the legal system, never pronounces anybody "innocent". You get a "not guilty" or, as was this case, "no proofs of the allegation".
It makes no difference? He will always be seen as an abuser?
First of all, I don't know what "we" all have been discussing- much less any definitive conclusions that had been made. I've gone MIA for a bit.

Historically, rape and assaults against women do not get convictions. Why so many women do not come forward after rapes and assaults. Why go through all of that when there is a good chance that the offender won't get convicted, and they won't be believed?

So, at least, he should consider how calling anyone else out on their behavior will come off.

In any case- yes, I will continue to see him as an abuser. And I'm not alone with this.
Nelslus Revised TAT Signature Currently Under Repair. :gorgeous:

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

JazzNU wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 12:57 am
ti-amie wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:22 pm Frances seems to be taking tennis seriously now and has since he dropped his friend as his coach.
His friend served him well as coach and is the main reason Michael Mmoh is having the best year of his career. Ever consider why the tennis community talked down about him when he was Frances' coach?
Could it be both Frances and his friend learned a lot from their shared experience?
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

curious to see how Sinner does here, I keep thinking he is better on faster courts - if that is so, Rune should beat him here ..I certainly dont expect Rublev to beat Fritz..he hasnt been able to, much, on hard courts, and Fritz is playing well here..
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

With the rain and the conditions, this is becoming almost impossible to hit a winner. This will become just a physical contest.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

There's only a few women I would encourage to spend time alone with Sascha; Lauren Bobert, Majorie Green, Jelena Ostapenko, Ginni Thomas, and just about any woman with the last name trump. 8-)
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

ponchi101 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 3:50 pm With the rain and the conditions, this is becoming almost impossible to hit a winner. This will become just a physical contest.
I guess they think spectators like it...I certainly don't but then ..

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 1:50 am
JazzNU wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 12:57 am
Could it be both Frances and his friend learned a lot from their shared experience?
Yes, I'm sure they did learn a lot from their shared experience, but I would hope you caught on to the undertones of the comments about him long ago. He was his friend, yes, but also his coach. Why not refer to him as such? It wasn't a short term arrangement. Why act like he's just his friend and not a former collegiate tennis player that became a coach?

Post by JazzNU »

If Rune thinks the next Big 3 are him, Alcaraz and Sinner (they aren't, but let's go with the delusion), does he realize he's the Djokovic personality that will be the least liked of the group? He stays acting like brat.