With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Our main board to talk about our sport
Fastbackss United States of America

Re: Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Post by Fastbackss »

ti-amie wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:34 pm
One of the first things I would do with Emma Radacanu is ditch every single promotional appearance not tied to a specific tournament for the rest of the year and just do #Tennis. But she is obviously not only uncoachable but unmanageable.

Her comments in this piece are a disservice to fans who expect athletes to be prepared to play, even marginally so. How can you not be "into it" for a WTA1000 when the season has only just started and the grind has hardly begun? It's the tournament scheduling that's the problem and not her many promotional appearances all over the world?

The weekly tournament grind is the foundation of the sport but she seems to prefer the weekly promotional grift.
Bringing this back up.
Roddick interviews her agent this week, who also manages Madison and Ajla, while previously managing Sharapova and Li Na. Was pretty enlightening.

Relevant to this was two things:
Why was different when Emma won versus Maria...

And how Maria scheduled her promotional activities. (Concisely - it was limited to 16 days per year )

this
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

From Russian speakers:
Mainly-Driving862
·
From what I can hear, he said: "Ты дебил, как нахер, как??? how? ...how?", which translates to "you - moron, how the (expletive), how??? how? ...how?". the part "ты - дебил (you moron)" couuuuuld be misheard. Maybe he is saying something that sounds like it in Elnglish. But "как нахер" - how the (expletive) is clearly audible.
level 3
uniteseparately
·

Simping for Collins
öbviously wrong for insulting the judge, but translating "нахер" as "(expletive)" is a stretch in my opinion
level 3
mach0
·

\o/
"ты - дебил (you moron)"

I heard it loud and clear.
qlkvg
·
It was a bit unclear, but he definitely said "дебил" (equivalent of "moron" or "idiot"), but maybe the full slur was "ебаный дебил", which is "(expletive) moron"
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Per Kasatkina they never reviewed the call...

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Arthur Fils had a meltdown in Santiago a few minutes ago and now this.

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I don't mind that much if they use profanity. If they say something offensive that is general, get the warning.
If they address somebody and use it directly at a lines person or chair umpire, immediate default. Just because they know that person can't even reply to them, and that is the top of cowardice.

BTW. I remember one time Johnny Mac insulted a lines person (of the many times). Problem was, the lines person was Johnny Sample, former NFL linebacker. Sample just got up from his chair, crossed his hands in front of him, and kept a poker face straight at Mac. Mac made a bee line to the service line and said nothing more.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Just to test my theory that speed of court does matter, at the margin, here are some predictions, based entirely on considerations of court speed. IW and Miami are a good test-bed because they are extremes - on the slow side, we will not see such slow courts until the clay season.

1. Pegula will NOT do well at IW, though she will do better at Miami where the court is slightly faster
Same goes for Alexandrova and Vekic, and Coco
2. Rybakina, Sabalenka, Anisimova, Pavlyuchenkova, Samsonova, Kostyuk will do well at both IW and Miami, Pliskova too maybe though I gave up on trying to understand Pliskova long ago!
3. Medvedev and Sinner will not do well , at IW and Miami- Zverev, Rublev, Alcaraz will.

Djokovic and Swiatek are simply too great to be bothered by trivial things like court speeds, so no prediction on them.. they will do whatever they do. Osaka, if she is back, will do well at IW and Miami.

Let us see how it pans out!
Last edited by ashkor87 on Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

also,not about any specific player but on a slow court, like IW, we should see a lot of bagels and also wild swings like 6-1,1-6,6-1..
on a slow court, it is more difficult to hold serve so the player who is playing even 5% better, can win every game...and that can switch over the course of the match..! On a faster court, the server will hold a lot, so one break of serve is enough to win the set, so scores like 6-4, 7-5 are more common than 6-1, 6-0 etc.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

of course, I need to define 'do well' - which would be a fair question - maybe we can use the players' rankings as benchmark. or, of course, we can look at specific matches, but we have to wait for the draw for that. I dont believe much in rankings but most people do, so it might work.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Perhaps we can agree on my definitions of "doing well" (IW only) for players you listed.

Sinner, Alcaraz and Medvedev SF+
Zverev, Rublev QF+

Rybakina, Gauff and Sabalenka SF+
Pegula QF+
Samsonova, Anisimova, Pavlyuchenkova and Kostyuk R16+, but very draw dependent.

I'm not even sure Djokovic will play. For Swiatek also anything less than SF's can't be called good.
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

SO the dude who has been fined and is facing a trial for abusing women gets a warning and the guy most everyone agrees is a good guy gets dq.'d for basically the same level of infraction?
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

The inconsistency is bothersome. These sort of penalties are not trivial (Rublev's will cost him points and money) and there has to be some sense of consistency.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Video of the incident

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Well, they apologized. Fine them, and let's hope they learn.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Suliso wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:28 am Perhaps we can agree on my definitions of "doing well" (IW only) for players you listed.

Sinner, Alcaraz and Medvedev SF+
Zverev, Rublev QF+

Rybakina, Gauff and Sabalenka SF+
Pegula QF+
Samsonova, Anisimova, Pavlyuchenkova and Kostyuk R16+, but very draw dependent.

I'm not even sure Djokovic will play. For Swiatek also anything less than SF's can't be called good.
Yes...of course, some of these depend on the draw too, like Coco going to the finals of RG. But we can treat the draw as a random variable, neutral. Certainly, pegula and gauff can get to the quarters if they get a good draw. But we can't set up a perfect experiment, can we?!