With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Our main board to talk about our sport
Deuce Canada

Re: Tennis Random, Random

Post by Deuce »

This sort of thing happens too often for my liking. I believe it's the result of the players feeling very entitled and completely immune to any sort of real punishment (the players are so financially rich that any fine for them amounts to pocket change).
The behaviour I'm referring to is players absolutely ridiculing the chair umpire. Not getting angry while disputing a call - but instead trying their best to let the world know that the umpire is a moron. They know they are on a huge stage, and that their antics will be spread far and wide.
This is not right. Argue if you want - present your case in a rational, thoughtful manner - you can even yell. But maintain a decent degree of respect. To do the sort of thing that Medvedev did (see video link below), and that Kyrgios does regularly, and that I've seen others do - is just wrong. It's not 'funny', it's not 'clever' - it's just bad.

Kyrgios did it again on Monday night. Medvedev did it yesterday.

(This isn't even to mention that both Kyrgios and Medvedev have obvious problems identifying gender, with both of them addressing female umpires as 'Bro'...)

Take a look...
Medvedev Ridicules Umpire

R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Okay TATeurs. What say you?

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

As a Spanish speaker... it is a bad word. It is not terrible, terrible, but it is bad. By the way, if you go to the bathroom, in Spanish, you don't say "I am going to s***". There is a verb for that.
Reminds me of another incident, also at the Canadian Open. Gaston Gaudio was having a bad day against Rusedski. Basically, he could not return his serve. So he goes over to the back of the court, flips his cap over his eyes (so he can't see where he is), reaches the back stop and says "Que dia de la re- M*****! (What a really s***** day!)
Right over the ambient microphone. Everybody on TV heard it.
Javier Frana, a compatriot of him, saved the day. He just said, after an embarrassing silence: "There are others that are worse".
BTW. In Spanish, we have the REAL ACADEMIA ESPAÑOLA DE LA LENGUA (The Royal Academy of the Language). They have a dictionary, which is the official one. M***** is listed as a profanity.
Sorry, Karen.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ti-amie wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:36 pm Okay TATeurs. What say you?

^ That was wonderful :lol: .
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

Concur with ponchi about the profanity, but it was pretty hilarious...
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

mmmm8 wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:21 am Concur with ponchi about the profanity, but it was pretty hilarious...
Oh, it is. I was being my usual IATA and just saying that rules are rules.
But a Russian swearing in Spanish and being caught, the jokes are endless :D
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

So I guess the lesson is to learn some swear words in a language that the chair umpire doesn't know. :)

Kevin
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

dmforever wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:46 am So I guess the lesson is to learn some swear words in a language that the chair umpire doesn't know. :)

Kevin
I recall Rublev recently getting a warning or fine for loudly yelling a word in Russian that was not really a profanity (something equivalent to "darn"), so not sure that solves it!
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

mmmm8 wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:01 am
dmforever wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:46 am So I guess the lesson is to learn some swear words in a language that the chair umpire doesn't know. :)

Kevin
I recall Rublev recently getting a warning or fine for loudly yelling a word in Russian that was not really a profanity (something equivalent to "darn"), so not sure that solves it!
I agree. There is no real way to police it totally correctly in real time. Someone could say "you're frickin' crazy" instead of we all know what and if the chair umpire were not a native English speaker, or there were crowd noise, the umpire might penalize that player. And as you say, it also depends on the fluency of the chair umpire in a variety of languages. Or what about a word that a non-native speaker doesn't know? If I say "dagnabbit" would a chair umpire know if it's swearing or not, like with your Russian example? And then what about "you suck". I know people who think that's swearing, and others who don't. There is a lot of %&%$@ gray area :)

Kevin
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

I thought this was pretty funny. :) They did too. Medvedev was too nice :)

Kevin

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Isn't that a direct offense to the umpire? He basically called her stupid.
There was no need for that (Medvedev's comment).
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:20 am Isn't that a direct offense to the umpire? He basically called her stupid.
There was no need for that (Medvedev's comment).
For me there is a difference between saying "That's a stupid call" and "You're stupid." But maybe that's just me. :)

Kevin
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Mostly I can handle all insults. But that one I hate the most. So, maybe it is just you, but also, maybe it is just me. ;)
I have actually gone to blows over it.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I know for sure that Tsisipas is going to the locker after every set, regardless of score or result, for a full clothing change. Other players are doing it too, mostly after the second set (if going to a third, of course).
Should the tour regulate this? Just make it five minutes in between sets, and you use them as you want? Maybe fans will like it too, as you have a bit more time to go fetch that beer.