With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Our main board to talk about our sport
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: Tennis Random, Random

Post by ponchi101 »

Mr. Petchey's reply is the most incredible non-sequitur I have read in a long time.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ti-amie wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:27 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:05 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:43 pm Indeed. The point now is: will the organizations review the ENTIRE rules book? It is not just the bathroom breaks. The MTO's are out of control too. And, as I said already, it is not the public or an outside entity complaining. It is players complaining about other players. That should count for something.

This is what the player's council is for.
I don't quite understand what the Player's Council can do in this situation short of getting Stef in a locked room and jacking him up? As long as there is no set in stone rule that limits bathroom breaks why would he stop? He's escalated from problems with shoes to taking his phone with him on a potty break.
They can advocate. They can assess what players want, and if need be, initiate talks with ATP and Grand Slams to clarify or change this rule. And they might be able to address an ongoing issue with a specific player, discreetly. That seems appropriate to me.
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

I honestly don't think there will be a pro tennis tour as we know it in 20 or 30 years because there won't be a world as we know it in that time frame either. They will definitely have to reschedule tournaments to times of the year when there might be a better chance of having them without climate related problems. More/all tournaments will probably have to be indoors. And how possible will it be to fly year-round, or fly much, or fly at all, in 30 years? Just sayin'...

Kevin
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

dmforever wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:29 pm I honestly don't think there will be a pro tennis tour as we know it in 20 or 30 years because there won't be a world as we know it in that time frame either. They will definitely have to reschedule tournaments to times of the year when there might be a better chance of having them without climate related problems. More/all tournaments will probably have to be indoors. And how possible will it be to fly year-round, or fly much, or fly at all, in 30 years? Just sayin'...

Kevin
CC is a problem, but we are very good at solving problems. I know that at times it looks like there is no hope, but technically, it can be solved. Certainly the most complicated problem we will have to solve as a species so far, but it can be done.
So if there will be no tennis tour in 30 years it will be for other problems, not CC.
I think (most likely will not be around in 30 years to see who of us is right)
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

I think the future will be exciting for at least some of us. Maybe we indeed colonize Mars? :)
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

You are younger than I am, and certainly more optimistic. The only way I get to Mars is if they need biological ballast in the rocket.
When I say "WE" above, I mean mankind. But in the process of correcting CC there will be lots of people, and maybe even a couple of countries, that will be left not only behind, but out. Venezuela is one of them, as we have nothing more than oil. We won't even be able to compete in an international market for marihuana since we are right next to Colombia and if it becomes a tradeable commodity, our smuggling abilities will be useless (it will be legal to export, after all).
Russia and Nigeria will also be out of the process. The gulf states have enough money stashed away if they want to do something, but that is not sure.
It will be exciting for the countries that are already technological. For the rest of us, I believe that Steven Pinker Jr will have a lot of work and writing to do, to explain how his dad missed these fine points.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Don't count out Russia - they'll be a major agricultural region in the future. Of course some countries will sink, that's true.
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:39 pm
dmforever wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:29 pm I honestly don't think there will be a pro tennis tour as we know it in 20 or 30 years because there won't be a world as we know it in that time frame either. They will definitely have to reschedule tournaments to times of the year when there might be a better chance of having them without climate related problems. More/all tournaments will probably have to be indoors. And how possible will it be to fly year-round, or fly much, or fly at all, in 30 years? Just sayin'...

Kevin
CC is a problem, but we are very good at solving problems. I know that at times it looks like there is no hope, but technically, it can be solved. Certainly the most complicated problem we will have to solve as a species so far, but it can be done.
So if there will be no tennis tour in 30 years it will be for other problems, not CC.
I think (most likely will not be around in 30 years to see who of us is right)
I don't share your optimism, but I sincerely hope you are right. :) And most likely I won't be here either 30 years from now, so as you say, we'll never know. :)

Kevin
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
the Moz Canada

Post by the Moz »

mmmm8 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:38 pm In the end, I agree with Tsitsipas. I dont like the fact that he does it and it's not going to win him fans, but can't fault him for doing it f he's within the rules. The rules need to change.

(Obviously, texting during that break is against the rules).
Agreed!

What is the amount of time allowed in the rule? Or is it a 'grey' area?
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock:
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

The rule says nothing about time. It says "reasonable".
the Moz Canada

Post by the Moz »

ponchi101 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:17 am The rule says nothing about time. It says "reasonable".
Hopefully that gets changed soon. The break should be five minutes.

Players have always called out medial timeouts they find dubious. They should do the same for toilet breaks, regardless of whether there is a rule.
the Moz Canada

Post by the Moz »

A sort of court of law vs. court of public opinion approach.
Last edited by the Moz on Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
the Moz Canada

Post by the Moz »

:bananas:
Last edited by the Moz on Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:47 am, edited 3 times in total.