With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Our main board to talk about our sport
Deuce Canada

Re: Tennis Random, Random

Post by Deuce »

meganfernandez wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:17 pm Pernfors
Yeah - I'm quite sure that's the one I said I should know, but am drawing a blank on.
Probably because I never really liked watching him play :) .
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

dmforever wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:13 pm
JazzNU wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:30 pm I can confidently name 3. Fairly certain I can name a 4th and 5th if allowed 3 chances to guess each. Although for one, I think I can get it on the 1st try, but he looks so young (and honestly, better), it's hard for me to have any faith in getting it on the first try.

I couldn't get to 14 if I was given 100 tries, so older or not, well done Kevin.
You definitely know all 5 guys in the top row. They are just a lot younger than what you are used to seeing. :) And the second and third row each have a very famous American GS-winning player. Again, they are just very young.

Kevin
Yeah, the American GS winners in the second and third row were ones I got even at that age. Also an easy one in row 1 (position 2). The others that I'm pretty certain of other than that are the first row (position 1), and the third row (position 1).

I'm running out but I'll really have to take a hard look at this first row again when I get back. I really tried before, but nothing was popping, so I'll look again with your hints.
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

meganfernandez wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:17 pm
dmforever wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:13 pm
JazzNU wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:30 pm I can confidently name 3. Fairly certain I can name a 4th and 5th if allowed 3 chances to guess each. Although for one, I think I can get it on the 1st try, but he looks so young (and honestly, better), it's hard for me to have any faith in getting it on the first try.

I couldn't get to 14 if I was given 100 tries, so older or not, well done Kevin.
You definitely know all 5 guys in the top row. They are just a lot younger than what you are used to seeing. :) And the second and third row each have a very famous American GS-winning player. Again, they are just very young.

Kevin
Good hints. There are some names I feel like are here - like Nystrom, Kriek, Pernfors, Mayotte - but I can't figure out who they are. Is Nystrom in the third row, middle, with the blonde mullet? And Mayotte at the end of that row?
I didn't see Kriek, but I do see the others that you mentioned. Did you just know because of the year? That is truly impressive. I think Nystrom is there but I thought he was in the second row. There is another Swede who I think was in that group whose name I can't remember right now. It's bugging me, so I'm going to have to go down that rabbit hole. ;)

Kevin
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

Deuce wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:19 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:11 pm How many do you recognize? I only got 9 for sure.
YYYNY
YNYYN
YNNYN
NNNNN

Recognize.jpeg
Without any hints, I got 14 for sure, I believe - probably 15, and possibly 16 if I got the bushy blonde right...
Here's what I got, if anyone wants to peek into the spoiler:
► Show Spoiler
Some impressive work there on the spoilers, but not only does that one person not look like Alex Corretja (I thought it was Lendl before I saw Lendl), Corretja was 13 in 1987.
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

mmmm8 wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:29 pm
Some impressive work there on the spoilers, but not only does that one person not look like Alex Corretja (I thought it was Lendl before I saw Lendl), Corretja was 13 in 1987.
Andres Gomez!
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Deuce wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:19 pm Without any hints, I got 14 for sure, I believe - probably 15, and possibly 16 if I got the bushy blonde right...
Here's what I got, if anyone wants to peek into the spoiler:
► Show Spoiler
^ Oops! :oops:
mmmm8 wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:32 pm Andres Gomez!
^ Yes...
I knew it was a clay court player... I was going through several names - Costa... Brugera... For some reason, I settled on Corretja. I obviously didn't check the age! :lol:
I should have gotten Gomez.
Initially, I thought that photo looked a lot like Sampras.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

dmforever wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:12 pm Row 1 = the top
Y'all know the top 5 for sure. They have all won at least 1 slam. In row two, there is a very very famous American player. He has won multiple slams. He's just very young in that pic. In row 3 there is an equally famous American player, and he and another row 3 occupant do commentary for ESPN. Yes, there are two French players, on in row 1 and one in row 2. Row 5 has a GS finalist not from the Americas or Europe. Row 2 may have a Grand Slam champ from South America, but I'm not sure. Maybe not. Row 2 also has a European player with an Italian nickname that still gets thrown out every once in a while on ESPN when they reference big guys who move deceptively well.

Kevin
Okay, I have not looked at anyone else's guesses. I have zoomed in on the photo, which does help, I'm much more certain than I was on the other guy in Row 3, but I still can't name the entire top row. 1, 2, and 4 I can get. I can honestly say that #3 looks very familiar and I know I've seen him before, but don't know his name based on this photo, but potentially, may not know him by name if I see him now either. Number 5 is a blank seriously, but based off of your clues, I could take a guess, but I keep looking at him and thinking, it can't possibly be.

Now, I know this is pitiful, but I I will also say a bit in my defense, besides being somewhat younger than many on here, I think this is also a bit on the tennis coverage we get nowadays. When we had Wimbledon on HBO, for instance, rain delays were mostly a time for them to play a rerun of some old spectacular match, not the match that they just finished airing a couple of hours earlier. It's how I watched what many consider the greatest tiebreak in tennis history, for instance. TNT would also do way more retrospective stuff, I'd see a bit more of players in their prime and what they looked like at the time. ESPN really doesn't do that now, and on Tennis Channel, I think they do that at times, but it's not during live coverage windows, I'd have to seek it out.

Reference photo since we're on a new page -

ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

12 ..but I am older than most people here AND I lived in the US when most of them were in their prime so have seen them live
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

I once had Connors standing next to me watching an NCAA match..he didn't want to disturb the players so he was standing under a tree watching..as was I..don't know why I was under the tree, hot day maybe..I said hi to him and he was very nice..
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Sorry to be so arrogant but... I got 17 ;)
Then again, who is the old foggie here :mrgreen:
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

JazzNU wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:23 am
dmforever wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:12 pm Row 1 = the top
Y'all know the top 5 for sure. They have all won at least 1 slam. In row two, there is a very very famous American player. He has won multiple slams. He's just very young in that pic. In row 3 there is an equally famous American player, and he and another row 3 occupant do commentary for ESPN. Yes, there are two French players, on in row 1 and one in row 2. Row 5 has a GS finalist not from the Americas or Europe. Row 2 may have a Grand Slam champ from South America, but I'm not sure. Maybe not. Row 2 also has a European player with an Italian nickname that still gets thrown out every once in a while on ESPN when they reference big guys who move deceptively well.

Kevin
Okay, I have not looked at anyone else's guesses. I have zoomed in on the photo, which does help, I'm much more certain than I was on the other guy in Row 3, but I still can't name the entire top row. 1, 2, and 4 I can get. I can honestly say that #3 looks very familiar and I know I've seen him before, but don't know his name based on this photo, but potentially, may not know him by name if I see him now either. Number 5 is a blank seriously, but based off of your clues, I could take a guess, but I keep looking at him and thinking, it can't possibly be.

Now, I know this is pitiful, but I I will also say a bit in my defense, besides being somewhat younger than many on here, I think this is also a bit on the tennis coverage we get nowadays. When we had Wimbledon on HBO, for instance, rain delays were mostly a time for them to play a rerun of some old spectacular match, not the match that they just finished airing a couple of hours earlier. It's how I watched what many consider the greatest tiebreak in tennis history, for instance. TNT would also do way more retrospective stuff, I'd see a bit more of players in their prime and what they looked like at the time. ESPN really doesn't do that now, and on Tennis Channel, I think they do that at times, but it's not during live coverage windows, I'd have to seek it out.

Reference photo since we're on a new page -

Number 5 you have seen sitting in the Wimbledon Box many times, I'm sure. They always show him. ;)

Kevin
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

#5 and #19 were a formidable doubles team...
R.I.P. Amal...

ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ASH BASH Ash Barty celebrates Australian Open win by drinking beer on live TV after promising to wait until after final
Joshua Jones
12:13, 29 Jan 2022Updated: 12:52, 29 Jan 2022

ASH BARTY celebrated her Australian Open win by drinking a beer live on TV.

The Aussie hero, 25, promised on Thursday to wait until after the final before sinking a lager.

Asked if she was going to enjoy a few cheeky beers after her semi-final win, Barty replied: “I’d love to say yes but I am the ultimate professional.

“I won’t do that. I will save those for when we can celebrate afterwards.

"We can celebrate the journey we have been on and I cannot wait.”

And after beating Danielle Collins 6-3 7-6 at her home Grand Slam to lift the crown, she stuck to her word.

Barty headed into the Channel 9 studio at Melbourne Park to do media after getting her hands on the Daphne Akhurst Memorial Cup.

She was offered a bottle of Corona and duly accepted before insisting she's 'not drinking alone'.

So she was joined by close pal and tennis doubles partner Casey Dellacqua in enjoying her first celebratory bottle.

Barty added: “Case changed my life. She brought me into this sport again and allowed me to grow as a person. I love her.”

The world No1 was famously spotted with a pint in hand at an Aussie Rules match in 2020 as she skipped her defence of the French Open during lockdown.

She made a beeline for Dellacqua after wrapping up the victory on Rod Laver Arena and enjoyed a special embrace before kissing her on the forehead in a touching gesture.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/17480040 ... g-beer-tv/

Well thank goodness it wasn't a, uh, cigar.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

A Corona? WTF? The Aussie do not have any good lagers to celebrate with?
Or was she playing a joke? "I got a Corona by THE END of the tournament!"
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

mmmm8 wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:32 pm
Andres Gomez!
Yep - that was the GS finalist who isn't from the US or Europe, which was Kevin's clue. I still didn't get it... I think he lost to Wilander in 88. Shoudl have known because Wilander in 88 is one of my earliest tennis memories. I loved him (because my older brother did) and he won 3 that year.