With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Our main board to talk about our sport
Deuce Canada

Re: Tennis Random, Random

Post by Deuce »

meganfernandez wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:53 am
skatingfan wrote:
ashkor87 wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:24 am I wonder if the Ukraine invasion by Russia places folks like Medevedev and Rublev in some danger of sanctions.. they earn USD and the US government is determined to starve the Russians of hard currency.. it is not inconveivable that there may be sanctions against all travel by Russians, especially when they may be earning significant dollars.. or am I speculating too much?
I doubt that the US will sanction athletes - some countries have started to stop processing visas for Russians, so that could cause some issues as the year goes on - I think they should withdraw from upcoming events, but I don't think they'll be unable to compete & earn money simply because they're Russian.
Nor should they be punished for being Russian. And I don’t agree with pulling tournaments from Russia in protest. It just doesn’t accomplish anything or make any important statement. It only hurts players and fans. If this goes on and the circumstances change, and if there’s danger, then maybe.
^ I agree that players should not be punished simply because they are Russian.

But I disagree about cancelling tournaments in Russia.
Given how so many countries have condemned Russia for this violent invasion, I would say that there is definitely danger in Russia right now for the players and others attending a tournament there who are not Russian (or who are Russian and have expressed their opposition to the invasion).
Putin doesn't play by anyone's rules but his own. If tournaments in Russia are not cancelled or moved in protest (and for reasons of safety), then there would be a very real risk of the Russian government doing something to 'protest' the presence of people from countries which have condemned Russia. This means that there could be kidnappings - or worse...
I don't see any reason to take that risk.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

skatingfan wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:13 am
meganfernandez wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:19 am
ti-amie wrote:BTW the fines are just about equal with his forfeited pay so for all intents and purposes he wasn't fined at all.
I don’t follow. His fine is $40,000 on top of the $30,000 prize money he forfeits, right? Or does his $30k go toward the $40k fine?
If he'd won the tournament he would have won more than 300k, so the 70k lost for the tournament seems relatively modest.
Agree, the fine doesn't fit the crime, but I read that $40k was the max the ATP could fine him "on site." So there must be a rule in place that the ATP had to follow. I'm confident he will be suspended.

Post by meganfernandez »

Deuce wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:17 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:53 am
skatingfan wrote:
I doubt that the US will sanction athletes - some countries have started to stop processing visas for Russians, so that could cause some issues as the year goes on - I think they should withdraw from upcoming events, but I don't think they'll be unable to compete & earn money simply because they're Russian.
Nor should they be punished for being Russian. And I don’t agree with pulling tournaments from Russia in protest. It just doesn’t accomplish anything or make any important statement. It only hurts players and fans. If this goes on and the circumstances change, and if there’s danger, then maybe.
^ I agree that players should not be punished simply because they are Russian.

But I disagree about cancelling tournaments in Russia.
Given how so many countries have condemned Russia for this violent invasion, I would say that there is definitely danger in Russia right now for the players and others attending a tournament there who are not Russian (or who are Russian and have expressed their opposition to the invasion).
Putin doesn't play by anyone's rules but his own. If tournaments in Russia are not cancelled or moved in protest (and for reasons of safety), then there would be a very real risk of the Russian government doing something to 'protest' the presence of people from countries which have condemned Russia. This means that there could be kidnappings - or worse...
I don't see any reason to take that risk.
If the tours think there's a real danger, they should cancel, as they did the Challenger this week. They'd know better than I would. I don't agree with cancelling sheerly out of protest, not at this point anyway.
Last edited by meganfernandez on Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I doubt that, although players like Medvedev or Rublev earn their income in foreign currency, they have the bulk of it in Russian banks. I can't find it in their bios, but I believe that Medvedev (for example) lives in Monte Carlo. He must have his money parked there, so most likely he will be excluded from any possible sanction. It is not as if Monaco does not make it clear to the world it is a haven for the rich, their gains being legit (as Medvedev's) or not.
---0---
Bravo for Rublev. After his match against Hurkacz, he signed the camera with "NO WAR, PLEASE". A brave move considering he is not a citizen of a democracy. Wonder if his passport may be at risk.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Deuce wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:48 am
ti-amie wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:48 am I wanted to ask this question here.

Why do people think Melo should've done "more to restrain Zverev"? This is my opinion. I'm not a mental health professional.

Explosive anger like that is not something everyone/anyone can handle. I also think this is regular behavior for him and that those who know him get out of his way until he's calmed down. I wonder what his family has gone through with him too. I think Melo, used to seeing this behavior, did what any sane person would do and got out of Zverev's way.
I don't think it's fair at all to assume that this is 'regular behaviour' for him unless you've seen that behaviour from him... well... regularly. On what is this assumption based, then?

Granted, his former girlfriend accused him of violent behaviour - and, while those accusations seem legitimate, none of us really know because we only know what we read in the media - there is probably 90% of detail that we have no idea about. So, honestly, in lieu of actual and irrefutable evidence, it's quite unjust to say that one thinks this is 'regular behaviour' for him, and that his friend and doubles partner is accustomed to seeing this behaviour from him. I have not seen any evidence of that, and I doubt you have, either. Unless you've seen that type of behaviour from him before, this is pure speculation, and thus unfair. Starting rumours like this without evidence is not right.

I don't like Zverev. I find him arrogant and obnoxious... and the accusations by his former girlfriend certainly haven't helped my opinion of him. Neither has his behaviour the other night, obviously. So, for various reasons, I don't like him. But I do like fairness - and to say that one believes this kind of violent, out of control behaviour is 'regular' for someone without ever having witnessed it oneself is blatantly unfair.
Say what you will about what you saw of his behaviour the other day - I have no problem at all with any opinion of that particular behaviour. But speculation beyond that is simply not fair.
I asked a question. I did not say that I had any inside information. Watching what happened, and the fact that none of the players even made an attempt to step to him and say "dude, no", made me wonder if this is "normal" for him. If it was an abnormal, over reaction, I think that the other men on the court would've stepped in somehow, especially when he sat down and got up to go after the chair again.

If you remember no one in tennis, player or professional journo, went against what the ex girlfriend said in a way that would exonerate him. Many said let the investigation proceed. This public display couldn't be swept under the rug.

I'm sorry if it seemed as if I was making an assumption about his temperament. However I have seen people react like this and it's not only scary but it turned out that something else was going on.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:27 pm Bravo for Rublev. After his match against Hurkacz, he signed the camera with "NO WAR, PLEASE". A brave move considering he is not a citizen of a democracy. Wonder if his passport may be at risk.
Not just his passport, but his family in Russia may be at risk, as well.
Same for Medvedev and some other Russian players, who apparently also came out with 'No war, please' statements.

Anything is possible because the Russian government is neither honest nor rational.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ti-amie wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:52 pm
Deuce wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:48 am
ti-amie wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:48 am I wanted to ask this question here.

Why do people think Melo should've done "more to restrain Zverev"? This is my opinion. I'm not a mental health professional.

Explosive anger like that is not something everyone/anyone can handle. I also think this is regular behavior for him and that those who know him get out of his way until he's calmed down. I wonder what his family has gone through with him too. I think Melo, used to seeing this behavior, did what any sane person would do and got out of Zverev's way.
I don't think it's fair at all to assume that this is 'regular behaviour' for him unless you've seen that behaviour from him... well... regularly. On what is this assumption based, then?

Granted, his former girlfriend accused him of violent behaviour - and, while those accusations seem legitimate, none of us really know because we only know what we read in the media - there is probably 90% of detail that we have no idea about. So, honestly, in lieu of actual and irrefutable evidence, it's quite unjust to say that one thinks this is 'regular behaviour' for him, and that his friend and doubles partner is accustomed to seeing this behaviour from him. I have not seen any evidence of that, and I doubt you have, either. Unless you've seen that type of behaviour from him before, this is pure speculation, and thus unfair. Starting rumours like this without evidence is not right.

I don't like Zverev. I find him arrogant and obnoxious... and the accusations by his former girlfriend certainly haven't helped my opinion of him. Neither has his behaviour the other night, obviously. So, for various reasons, I don't like him. But I do like fairness - and to say that one believes this kind of violent, out of control behaviour is 'regular' for someone without ever having witnessed it oneself is blatantly unfair.
Say what you will about what you saw of his behaviour the other day - I have no problem at all with any opinion of that particular behaviour. But speculation beyond that is simply not fair.
I asked a question. I did not say that I had any inside information. Watching what happened, and the fact that none of the players even made an attempt to step to him and say "dude, no", made me wonder if this is "normal" for him. If it was an abnormal, over reaction, I think that the other men on the court would've stepped in somehow, especially when he sat down and got up to go after the chair again.

If you remember no one in tennis, player or professional journo, went against what the ex girlfriend said in a way that would exonerate him. Many said let the investigation proceed. This public display couldn't be swept under the rug.

I'm sorry if it seemed as if I was making an assumption about his temperament. However I have seen people react like this and it's not only scary but it turned out that something else was going on.
^ I get it, but I still feel that the way you worded it was unfair.
You wrote essentially that you think this is regular behaviour for him, and that this is probably the reason that no-one intervened - because they were afraid of this 'regularly out of control man'.
But you don't know him nearly well enough to think that he is regularly out of control, or to have an opinion about his regular behaviour, other than what you've seen.

Had you written it as, for example "Maybe that's regular behaviour for him, and that's why the others didn't intervene", I'd not have made any comment. Using the word 'Maybe' or 'Perhaps' would be better than "I think" in this circumstance - because with 'Maybe', one is just throwing a possibility out there, while 'I think' is a definite assumption which strongly suggests 'Probably' rather than 'Possibly' or 'Maybe'.
I hope you can see the difference in the way that the different wordings come across. One comes across as an accusation, while the other comes across as merely 'spitballing'; as throwing a possibility out there. I see a significant distinction between the two approaches.

I also didn't like the post which quoted someone as writing "When he targeted the umpire's legs and not just the chair is when I realized that he 100% hit his girlfriend" for the very same reason - because it's grossly unjust. Firstly, he never "targeted the umpire's legs" - if he had done so, he would have hit his legs. Secondly, whoever wrote that obviously does not "know that he 100% hit his girlfriend" based on him hitting the umpire's chair - and so to state that is wrong, because it's inaccurate. And it's thus unfair.
It is sensationalism and may be 'popular' to say/write things like that - and I'm sure it gets lots of 'likes', etc. on 'social media' - but it's wrong to do.
Obviously, people are going to link his tirade on the umpire to the accusations that he was violent with his girlfriend - which is why I posted that what he did with the umpire was quite a stupid thing to do for someone accused of assault. That's linking the two events without any accusation. But to say that one KNOWS that he hit his girlfriend is, again, pure speculation, and is inaccurate because the person obviously does not KNOW.

I don't want to come across as one who is defending violence toward women, obviously - of course I'm not, and I'm sure you understand this. I'm simply saying that one should not assume or pretend to know another person's violent character, or regular violent behaviour, if one does not know that person, or if one has at least never witnessed any recurring or regular violent behaviour from the person. Because doing so comes across as an accusation - and accusation without evidence is unfair.
Opinions and perspectives are fine - but they should be based on knowledge and facts, not on assumptions and speculations.
R.I.P. Amal...

ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Anyone watching Tennis Channel? The in studio crew just announced that Zverev will be playing DC for Germany in Brazil and hinting that a suspension may be coming.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 1:04 am Anyone watching Tennis Channel? The in studio crew just announced that Zverev will be playing DC for Germany in Brazil and hinting that a suspension may be coming.
Not watching, but saw earlier on Twitter that it was confirmed that he'd be playing Davis Cup.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Pretty much, she had no option. I support her.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
dave g United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by dave g »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:34 am Pretty much, she had no option. I support her.
I am going to disagree. The Olympics are designed for athletes to be representing their country, which is not true of most tennis. Davis Cup and Fed Cup (or whatever they are now) might be reasonable places to bar Russian and Belarussian teams. But I don't think it is appropriate to bar individual players from normal tournaments.
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

dave g wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:10 am
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:34 am Pretty much, she had not option. I support her.
I am going to disagree. The Olympics are designed for athletes to be representing their country, which is not true of most tennis. Davis Cup and Fed Cup (or whatever they are now) might be reasonable places to bar Russian and Belarussian teams. But I don't think it is appropriate to bar individual players from normal tournaments.
She's not asking that Russian and Belarussian players be banned or barred. She's just asking that they only be allowed to play as "neutral athletes, without flags or national anthems." She in fact says that she doesn't blame any Russian athletes.

Kevin
Last edited by dmforever on Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

It's more of the BS of putting lipstick on a pig, though.
Don't tell anyone the Russian players are from Russia. But everyone knows where they're from.
This is just more 'ROC' or 'AOR' nonsense. As if changing the surface is significant.
Also, it would put even more of a spotlight on the fact that they're from Russia, as it would attract attention.
I don't agree with sanctioning or punishing Russian athletes - to any degree - just because their Russian. It smells too much of a 'guilt by association' philosophy, which I don't believe is right.

Also - when do they play National Anthems at tennis tournaments, anyway? Apart from the events where they play country vs. country, do any tournaments play National Anthems - even for the winner of the tournament? Not to my recollection.
R.I.P. Amal...