With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Our main board to talk about our sport
meganfernandez United States of America

Re: Tennis Random, Random

Post by meganfernandez »

Jeff from TX wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:03 am Not shocked but I will miss her style and grace, on and off the court. I wish she had played longer to encourage more complete players - and she was a most complete player in terms of her skill set. I found her game to be anything but drab compared to many other players. She has virtually all the shots.
Congratulations, Iga!

I am shocked. I knew tennis insiders were hearing it, but I didn't think she would do it. She said at the Australian that she feels more like herself on the tennis court than anywhere else. That's hard to walk away from, especially now that she can play on her own terms completely. Maybe she wants to start a family. Having kids and being a top player aren't for everyone. In fact, she said "I'm so happy and I'm so ready" - I wonder if she is pregnant. I'm sure this story will come out more fully in the coming years. I don't expect her to come back, but what do I know. Hopefully she will stay involved with Tennis Australia as a mentor. Commentate some.

I find it really interesting that she doesn't have more to give, when many other players don't run out of stuff to give for another decade. She isn't even struggling with injuries, as far as we know.

She should do what she wants, but damn does this hurt tennis. Finally had a solid, serious No. 1.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

dmforever wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:33 am
skatingfan wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:34 am
ponchi101 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:16 am Amidst all this: we have a new #1, in a fashion that has never happened before. And is it the #1 with the lowest point total in history?
Justine Henin retired at #1 - she was also 25 at the time - that's how Ivanovic became #1 after the French Open that year. Point totals were much lower in the past as tournament values have changed over time. Ivanovic had 4200+ points when she was #1.
I thought she was 28 or 29 when she retired. Or maybe you are talking about her first retirement. Or maybe I"m wrong. I miss Henin's game too. :)

Kevin
Totally forgot of Henin's first retirement, and I am a fan of hers. And thanks for the numbers on #1.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I started a poll. You can select three options, and you can change them if you change your mind.
Or let me know if there is another question you want to include (it is fairly disorganized).
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Liamvalid Great Britain

Post by Liamvalid »

I’m on the fence. I don’t want to actively say I won’t miss her because I think she’s good for the game, I think she is great for her country, and has one of the best tennis personalities out there. But I only watch her play if she is the only one on tv at the time and don’t actively support her game. I’ve voted in this poll just so I can see the results.

My one wish where Barty is concerned is that she turns to commentary at some point in the future, she would be a great asset to any team in that respect
Mary, queen of shots
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

I hadn't read her statement before. If she says she's spent, then she has made the right decision. Selfishly I'm sad because I think she was great for the sport and I liked watching her play. I hope she has an awesome post-pro tennis tour life.

Kevin

Post by meganfernandez »

She definitely left several Slams on the table - if she wanted them. You gotta want them more than anything. See her in the commentating booth.
atlpam United States of America

Post by atlpam »

I definitely think she left slams on the table and I will miss her in the mix. I didn't vote on either side of the comeback issue as I have no idea what she may do in the future. I wish her all happiness if she is ready to stop competing/traveling and focus on family.
dave g United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by dave g »

Unfortunately, she played primarily when I didn't (and still don't) have access to television, so I never got to watch her play. So, I won't actually miss her play because I never saw her play.
However, I think she is leaving at a good time for her, even though she is leaving slams on the table, because being happy is more important than winning slams.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I said I would not miss her but that's not 100% true. I thought her slice backhand was a thing of beauty but her game itself was not that awesome or game changing in the final analysis. I respect her choice and wish her all the best.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Post by atlpam »

Sad story of coach abusing a young female player.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/23/spor ... sault.html
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

She made $25 million by the time she was 25. That's set for life money and a world of opportunities to do whatever she would like to pursue next. 25 is young, go have fun.

Post by atlpam »

atlpam wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:58 pm Sad story of coach abusing a young female player.

From the article:
Aranda is one of 77 people involved with tennis on the U.S.T.A.’s suspended or ineligible list because they have been convicted or accused of sexual or physical abuse.

Is it just me or does this seem like a very large number?

Post by meganfernandez »

Owendonovan wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:08 pm She made $25 million by the time she was 25. That's set for life money and a world of opportunities to do whatever she would like to pursue next. 25 is young, go have fun.
And that's just prize money, not endorsements or bonuses. I'm just surprised someone as competitive as she is can stop that easily. Good for her if her life is that well-balanced. That's a positive. It's just a gut-punch for tennis.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

atlpam wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:58 pm Sad story of coach abusing a young female player.

^ Can't access the article without subscribing.
Could you copy and paste it here, please?
Thanks.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower