With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Our main board to talk about our sport
Suliso Latvia

Re: Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Post by Suliso »

I'd say we should look at players who got close multiple times but never won.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Marcelo Rios is my pick for the male player who never won a title.

I really have to think about a female player and that says more about me than about the WTA.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

Rios for the men, and Safina or Jankovic for the women. Keys could also end up in this category
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Suliso wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:18 pm I'd say we should look at players who got close multiple times but never won.
Cedric Pioline, then. Always forgotten, yet, one USO Final, one W final. Both losses to Pete, but still, quite an accomplishment.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Pioline was good, but I never considered him to be a 'top player'.

Mecir made 2 Major Finals, as well - Australia and U.S. Open -, losing to Lendl both times. He also lost in the Semis at Roland Garros and Wimbledon. And to me, Mecir was a better player than was Pioline.

A couple of people have mentioned Safina for the women... This surprises me somewhat, as, when Safina was #1 in the world, everyone and their grandmother (and Serena) were ridiculing that, saying that she's the most undeserving #1 player in history.
Yes, she reached 3 Major Finals... but she never struck me as being a true force in tennis.
Of course, she had to deal with the inevitable comparisons to her brother, as well, which surely was not easy.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

True forces did win majors. So we're necessarily talking here about the 2nd tier. :)
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Suliso wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:30 pm True forces did win majors. So we're necessarily talking here about the 2nd tier. :)
I suppose...
But we're also trying to determine the BEST of the second tier - which I would think is pretty close to being considered a true force over a period of time. :D
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

So far I've seen Aga Radwanska, Dinara Safina, Jelena Jankovic, Sukova, Shriver (Never a great singles player IMO) and I know I'm leaving some players out for the Best of the Rest category. Is there a poll coming up?
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ti-amie wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:47 pm So far I've seen Aga Radwanska, Dinara Safina, Jelena Jankovic, Sukova, Shriver (Never a great singles player IMO) and I know I'm leaving some players out for the Best of the Rest category. Is there a poll coming up?
If there's a poll, wouldn't Radwanska automatically be declared the winner?

:D
R.I.P. Amal...

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I wouldn't vote for her. Never cared for her style and never thought she was strong enough physically to win a Slam.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ti-amie wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:59 pm I wouldn't vote for her. Never cared for her style and never thought she was strong enough physically to win a Slam.
I wouldn't necessarily vote for her, either - but I maintain that if there's a poll, she would automatically win.

(Just a little play on words here - I guess it would work better orally than it does in writing :D)
R.I.P. Amal...

ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Tony Roche, Gene Mayer, David Ferrer, Nalbandian..are also candidates..Roche was about par with Newcombe but Newcombe did much better eventually..
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Yikes, forgot that Roche did win RG once. But I would agree Safina is probably the one who came closest..
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Suliso wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:30 pm True forces did win majors. So we're necessarily talking here about the 2nd tier. :)
Mostly true...of course though I think Dementieva, Safina and Radwanska were better than some who did win...
Last edited by ashkor87 on Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.