With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

Tennis Related - Off Court Serious Issues

Our main board to talk about our sport
nelslus United States of America

Re: Tennis Related - Off Court Serious Issues

Post by nelslus »

ti-amie wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:45 pmNo one, and I mean NO ONE talks as much as JMac, Carillo, and if the Hellsent trifecta is going, PMac. Throw Arias into that cesspool too.
I stay in my lane when it comes to subjects I know nothing about so I'll take your word re the banjo concert.

I haven't heard Petko but Chanda, Lindsay and Taylor are all good. Chanda actually elevates the commentary of one of the male talking heads whose name escapes me right now.
LOL, I'm always going to have nothing for love for Carillo- and I suspect that puts me in the minority in here. :gorgeous:

The rest of that motley crew- I totally agree. Arias makes my teeth ache. Patrick is unbearable. Plus, I will NEVER forgive him for the way he and his team o' morons treated Taylor Townsend.

It may have been that I've only heard Petkovic via Tennis Channel Plus and/or ESPN Plus. I've really enjoyed her commentary.
Nelslus Revised TAT Signature Currently Under Repair. :gorgeous:
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

nelslus wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:37 pm
ti-amie wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:45 pmNo one, and I mean NO ONE talks as much as JMac, Carillo, and if the Hellsent trifecta is going, PMac. Throw Arias into that cesspool too.
I stay in my lane when it comes to subjects I know nothing about so I'll take your word re the banjo concert.

I haven't heard Petko but Chanda, Lindsay and Taylor are all good. Chanda actually elevates the commentary of one of the male talking heads whose name escapes me right now.
LOL, I'm always going to have nothing for love for Carillo- and I suspect that puts me in the minority in here. :gorgeous:

The rest of that motley crew- I totally agree. Arias makes my teeth ache. Patrick is unbearable. Plus, I will NEVER forgive him for the way he and his team o' morons treated Taylor Townsend.

It may have been that I've only heard Petkovic via Tennis Channel Plus and/or ESPN Plus. I've really enjoyed her commentary.
I like Carillo. So, you are in a minority indeed, but it is a minority of two ;)
And what you wrote about Courier is FAR from your best trolling ;)
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
nelslus United States of America

Post by nelslus »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:27 pmAnd what you wrote about Courier is FAR from your best trolling ;)
....You all haven't earned my best trolling. :gorgeous:
Nelslus Revised TAT Signature Currently Under Repair. :gorgeous:
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

nelslus wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:15 pm Well, I MEAN....not even one like? I SWEAR, and FAR too often, I waste my best material on you trollops. :o
I was too stunned that you and Deuce actually had the same opinion.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:27 pm I like Carillo. So, you are in a minority indeed, but it is a minority of two ;)
^ Three.
I enjoy Carillo's wit. I find her to be pretty much the most intelligent of the regular commentators.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

JTContinental wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:47 am
ponchi101 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:30 pmI like Courier.
He's one of my favorites, along with Lindsay and Chanda
Those are my faves as well.

Post by JazzNU »

nelslus wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:41 am He comes off to me as smug and self-important, and he far too often talks talks TALKS!!!! during points, and can just get very obsessive about making his opinions and expertise heard. Lindsay and Chanda are terrific IMO- and Taylor Townsend has come off great when she's been a commentator. I also hope that Petkovic can be used more during telecasts.

Taylor is fantastic. Far and away the very best of all the current and recent players, male or female, they've tried out and Tennis Channel clearly knows it. No one else has been given multiple matches now to call on their own. Taylor is a cut above for sure and has a future full-time career in this when she wants it.

Post by JazzNU »

A note about Courier - he is definitely opinionated and I am thankful for at times as he tends to give insight into things that many commentators aren't willing to discuss, but never been more grateful for him being willing to speak his mind than when he ripped the ATP on their new at the time website many years ago after it debuted in a fantastic on-air rant. People are used to complaining about the WTA website in recent years (rightly so), but may forget that the ATP released a new website that was next level awful. More modern looking and pretty, but almost unusable if you wanted to see anything past basic info for each player. Dedicated fans had been complaining about it on ATP's social media sites for months and it did nothing, couldn't even get a we're looking into it kind of response from them. Not long after Courier's on-air rant that went into specific detail about the level of pitiful the new site was on finding information (something that was never an issue on the old site), it was revamped into the user friendly site we have today. I will always give him credit for getting that done.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

To show you the difference between what you guys put up with, and what I put up with.
Clerc, narrating (spoiling) the Miami broadcast, just stated that "Fabio Fognini is a great champion. A player that always shows up for the big matches".
What? :shock:
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

I can do better - we have an expert commentator here whose best line is 'it was 15 all, now it is 15-30'
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

More on the ongoing issue of the effects of Russia's invasion of Ukraine...

"I've Never Faced That Much Hate in the Locker Room" - Sabalenka...

R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

Her attitude of "not controlling the emotions of others" is healthy, but it's not true they "this has nothing to do with her." She has a platform that she is not using. She doesn't owe it to anyone to use it, but it's also a bit too easy to say "not my problem." And I don't mean just with regard to the war in Ukraine but things going on domestically as well.

Post by JazzNU »

mmmm8 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:37 pm Her attitude of "not controlling the emotions of others" is healthy, but it's not true they "this has nothing to do with her." She has a platform that she is not using. She doesn't owe it to anyone to use it, but it's also a bit too easy to say "not my problem." And I don't mean just with regard to the war in Ukraine but things going on domestically as well.
Who are you talking about?
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

JazzNU wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:31 pm Who are you talking about?
Sabalenka, I think - as response to Deuce's post.

Post by JazzNU »

skatingfan wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:53 pm
JazzNU wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:31 pm Who are you talking about?
Sabalenka, I think - as response to Deuce's post.
Thanks.

So Sabalenka is under no obligation to use her platform but also let's chastise her for not using her platform? And are we pretending like political opposition is accepted well in Belarus when the opposition leader was just convicted for trumped up BS?