TENNIS PLAYERS (Off-Court Shenanigans)

Our main board to talk about our sport
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: TENNIS PLAYERS (Off-Court Shenanigans)

Post by ponchi101 »

She already got a WC for the USO. Which, of course, as a former champion, she totally deserves.
Wait.
Ok, she is a big draw. Everything you need.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Jeff from TX United States of America

Post by Jeff from TX »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 3:22 pm She already got a WC for the USO. Which, of course, as a former champion, she totally deserves.
Wait.
Ok, she is a big draw. Everything you need.
The first thing I thought when I read this news is that her sponsors are after her to get in the spotlight more. And if a former champion is the criteria, lets make sure that Kenin gets in as well as any other former GS champion who won't qualify based on ranking.
It seems like time is going backwards towards 1984 . . . :freaking:
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

What can she realistically expect from this comeback? She was never a power hitter, and her greatest asset was her speed. After three years, how much speed can she bring to a court, and how will she handle the power of a Sabalenka, Swiatek or Rybakina?
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

Wozniacki made the finals twice, but hasn’t won the USO.

Since she’s a backboard, I think she will do fine, and her analysis of the top players from the commentator’s booth has been spot on.
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

ashkor87 wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 1:27 pm Haven't read it yet..is it any good? As good as Agassi's? Sharapova's was pretty lifeless, I thought ..
I don't feel good saying this because Pete Bodo is a friend and gifted me a copy... but if you thought Sharapova's was lifeless, this is straight from the river Styx...

There are some insights and interesting tidbits, but it could have been a short story + his career stats.
nelslus United States of America

Post by nelslus »

OK, someone please set up a poll. Which is more hideously boring- Pete's book or Caroline's comeback? :gorgeous:
Last edited by nelslus on Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nelslus Revised TAT Signature Currently Under Repair. :gorgeous:
nelslus United States of America

Post by nelslus »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:01 pm He still needs to use clearskin. I refuse to buy ANYTHING this boy man endorses ;)
Take that back. Take that back right now, you BEAST. :gorgeous:

.....OH, and....

Nelslus Revised TAT Signature Currently Under Repair. :gorgeous:
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Woz took a look at the current state of the WTA and asked herself "why not me?"
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ti-amie wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 6:21 pm Woz took a look at the current state of the WTA and asked herself "why not me?"
Or just wants to play at the Olympics, including mixed with Rune. We'll see if she makes a part-time return. It wouldn't be shocking. Maybe Serena will coach her! Best part about it so far... "Even a player like Caroline" :fuelfire:
Last edited by meganfernandez on Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post by meganfernandez »

ashkor87 wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 1:27 pm
mmmm8 wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 1:24 am
meganfernandez wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 1:25 pm

Yeah, that's crazy. I wish her management or coaches had better sense. I'm sure Coco could have been in the Netflix show, don't you think? Just listen to Raducanu saying that sometimes she wishes she had never won the US Open (which is also a crazy thing to say, but she's young and her life changed overnight). I don't think Raducanu should ever regret anything she did or has done since, but to chase fame at Andreeva's stage seems ill-advised.
I'm finally getting around to fully reading Sampras's autobiography co-written with Pete Bodo and Sampras says something similar about his first US Open. That, while he only means it in a certain says, but he was too young and it made his maturation as a player longer.
Haven't read it yet..is it any good? As good as Agassi's? Sharapova's was pretty lifeless, I thought ..
I actually liked Sharapova's okay, but was told to take some of the anecdotes - like the arrival story in Florida - with a grain of salt.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I have never read a tennis bio, but Sampras' seems to be very bland.
No scandals or no juicy news. It was: "This young man was good at tennis. He decided to dedicate his life to the sport. He became a champion and led an exemplary life. End of story."
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

I particularly found the story about how he found his wife, a bit off-putting......but none of my business, I suppose.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Probably the best book on tennis I have EVER read is String Theory..David foster wallace. Do read it if you can

Post by meganfernandez »

ashkor87 wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:38 pm Probably the best book on tennis I have EVER read is String Theory..David foster wallace. Do read it if you can
I've tried to read Terrible Splendor. Need to restart it.

Instructionally, the new release Essential Tennis is great and an easy read. First good instruction book in 25 years.

Maybe there should be an anthology of player biographies, because they all have amazing stories, if not enough for a blockbuster bio like Open.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Becekr's bio would sell. But he is going with Apple TV+ for the series. Will make more money that way.
No bios on the "old" group. Did Borg, Connors, Mac or Lendl have bios out? Can't recall.
Martina's would be interesting. She did go through A LOT. The defection, the coming out, the transformation from a player that was not in shape to that physical super monster. Together with Lendl, the player in the WTA that changed the game. If you wanted to beat her, you needed to train like her.
Chris? Are there any juicy bits there that she would like to share? It could spoil her image.
Steffi's bio? Maybe in Germany. She was so quiet (and the scandals were about her dad).
How do you separate Venus and Serena's bios? One for each? One common one for the teenage years, and then split it? One full common one?
Edberg? A good paperweight? (Although he could claim to be the true last of the Mohicans, with his S&V game).