With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Our main board to talk about our sport
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Post by ponchi101 »

skatingfan wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:29 pm This might be giving Nelsus nightmares. :lol:

I grew up with a two hander. Around 19, I switched to 1H, because biomechanically it is an easier stroke. But I can still hit with two hands on my BH, although I can't generate anything close to the speed I have in my 1H.
Roger's looks very solid. Very proper motion. This guy's gifts are amazing.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

They're all looking at how weak the WTA is right now and saying "Why not me?"

Diego Barbiani
@Diego_Barbiani
Former WTA n.5 Anna Chakvetadze is on the ALT list in 3 ITF tournaments in Belgium in a row starting next week (25k Koksijde, 15k Duffel, 15k Wanfercee-Baulet).

Chakvetadze's last official event was at the WTA International in Tashkent, in 2012 (lost in R2 vs Galina Voskoboeva).

Dewulf Filip
@FilipDewulf72
36 year old and former world number 5, Anna Chakvetadze is playing a money tournament in Belgium this week.

TC La Hulpe
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

They are looking at how weak the WTA APPEARS to be right now, and are asking why not me.
They will find our pretty soon. Let them meet Aryna in the first round.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:01 pm They are looking at how weak the WTA APPEARS to be right now, and are asking why not me.
They will find our pretty soon. Let them meet Aryna in the first round.
Funny. I don't know why anyone thinks it looks weak. There's a dominant No. 1, Sabalenka finally winning a Slam and challenging regularly, consistent Top 10 players. I hope they don't think they can win a Slam because Vondrousova did. I doubt that's the expectation, versus winning some matches again and making some month. It's also about the personal challenge, can they get in shape and find their game again. Top 50 might be a goal. And Chakvetadze might have other demons to put behind her.

Post by meganfernandez »

Stretching the topic, but.... here's Hurricane Black (remember her?) beating the No.1-ranked pickleball player... and the loser, who is 16, throwing a tantrum by celebrating like she'd won and running off court. Takeaway: teenage tennis champions are seasoned competitors. Teenage pickleball champions haven't competed beyond high school varsity.

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Needless to say, but... we play tennis. And it is THE TOUGHEST and most complete racquet sport. I have never picked another racquet sport and not be able to rally immediately, and be competitive in days.
So, sure. I don't remember Hurricane, but she beat somebody at pickleball? Sounds about right.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Goran Ivanisevic said recently that only Sinner is capable of challenging Alcaraz in the future...except Djoko right now of course
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:30 pm Needless to say, but... we play tennis. And it is THE TOUGHEST and most complete racquet sport. I have never picked another racquet sport and not be able to rally immediately, and be competitive in days.
So, sure. I don't remember Hurricane, but she beat somebody at pickleball? Sounds about right.
You may have a better memory of her sister, Tornado Alicia Black, who was a better tennis player.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

ashkor87 wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 5:57 am Goran Ivanisevic said recently that only Sinner is capable of challenging Alcaraz in the future...except Djoko right now of course
So Goran is writing off Holger at age 20? Sounds a bit premature to me. It is not as if Rune has no weapons.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

ponchi101 wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 3:27 pm
ashkor87 wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 5:57 am Goran Ivanisevic said recently that only Sinner is capable of challenging Alcaraz in the future...except Djoko right now of course
So Goran is writing off Holger at age 20? Sounds a bit premature to me. It is not as if Rune has no weapons.
oh, I dont agree with him.. just quoting him. In the long run, certainly, Rune will get there.. but Sinner is almost there already..not to mention Medvedev - although I am not sure what will enable Medvedev to compete well against Alcaraz..

Post by meganfernandez »

JTContinental wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 6:38 am
ponchi101 wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:30 pm Needless to say, but... we play tennis. And it is THE TOUGHEST and most complete racquet sport. I have never picked another racquet sport and not be able to rally immediately, and be competitive in days.
You may have a better memory of her sister, Tornado Alicia Black, who was a better tennis player.
That's right!

Post by meganfernandez »

Yeah, but the point of the video is that Hurricane's opponent threw a tantrum when she lost. Get used to it, honey. The real athletes are coming for your PB.
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

ti-amie wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 3:57 pm They're all looking at how weak the WTA is right now and saying "Why not me?"

Diego Barbiani
@Diego_Barbiani
Former WTA n.5 Anna Chakvetadze is on the ALT list in 3 ITF tournaments in Belgium in a row starting next week (25k Koksijde, 15k Duffel, 15k Wanfercee-Baulet).

Chakvetadze's last official event was at the WTA International in Tashkent, in 2012 (lost in R2 vs Galina Voskoboeva).

Dewulf Filip
@FilipDewulf72
36 year old and former world number 5, Anna Chakvetadze is playing a money tournament in Belgium this week.

TC La Hulpe

So, Chakvetadze's husband is Ukrainian with a business in Switzerland. Pure speculation, she may be trying to get away from living in Russia (where she was commentating and owns a kids' academy) or Ukraine and may not have get-out-of-Russia/Ukraine but maintain lifestyle money. This is one way to remind people she exists and either have some success on the tour or secure an opportunity to put her name on an academy or something else in Europe.
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

Alexis Galarneau, and his good friend Felix Auger-Aliassime from the Canadian under-12 Nationals in 2010.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Christopher Clarey 🇺🇸 🇫🇷 🇪🇸 🤖
@christophclarey@sportsbots.xyz
Prize money for losing R1 at the majors in 2023
(Today's exchange rates)

Aussie Open: $69,510
Roland Garros: $75,589
Wimbledon: $70,100
US Open: $81,500

Good to see this keep going up. It's not more money for losers but fair reward for those good enough to get into a major
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein