With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Our main board to talk about our sport
ashkor87 India

Re: Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Post by ashkor87 »

ti-amie wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:21 pm If we do a most telegenic we're going to have to have the same category for the men
yes, of course, else we woud be sexist...
I think the corresponding nominees on the men's side woule be :
Player of the year Djokovic, of course
Most improved: Sinner
Comeback player: not sure.. Monfils?
Newcomer ; again, not sure, my vote would be Michelsen..

Most gracious woud be Alcaraz - maybe Bopanna
Bet racket smash would be - Rublev?
Most disappointing: Tsitsipas
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ashkor87 wrote:
ti-amie wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:21 pm If we do a most telegenic we're going to have to have the same category for the men

Shelton is the ATP newcomer. Top 15

Monfils yes for comeback. Won a title.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

meganfernandez wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:43 pm Shelton is the ATP newcomer. Top 15
is this his first year on the circuit? if so, then yes, clearly newcomer of the year..
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

meganfernandez wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 3:20 pm
ashkor87 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:23 pm https://www.wtatennis.com/news/3789961/ ... yer-awards

Not that we have any say but maybe a poll on this could be fun..
I'm contributing to Tennis.com's year-end coverage, which includes weighing in on Player of the Year and things like that. I went with Sabalenka for POTY because she changed the narrative of her career. Her legacy was heading toward "best player to never win a Slam." She vanquished her demons - the Australian Open final was a nailbiter, the kind of close big match she had choked away before - and changed her story. She suffers because it all happened so early in the season and she lost the #1 ranking to Swiatek at the end. But I think what she accomplished is bigger than what Swiatek did, by a hair.

Swiatek certainly has a good case by seizing hte No. 1 ranking at the end of the year. Could go either way.

I had to make a case for 5 players each in the WTA and ATP. It was pretty hard to do more than 2 on each side. I had to write it before the ATP Finals, and Carlos still had a play at it. But even then Novak was pretty much the runaway winner and now of course he is. For the women, it's either Sabalenka or Swiatek. I made a decent case for Coco - her 18-1 blitz in the summer had it all and she came through under the heaviest expectations possible and stole the show in 2023. But after that, I was reaching to make a case for Vondrousova and Svitolina as my 4 and 5 picks.

Sinner, Medvedev and Shelton were my 3-5 picks for the men. I really wanted to pick Mannarino. I hope he fits in one of the categories we haven't worked on yet.
I think a good case for Svitolina is not the results on their own but how little time she took off to then come back in great form. Compounded with her off-court work for Ukraine, it's very impressive!

Post by meganfernandez »

mmmm8 wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 4:15 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 3:20 pm
ashkor87 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:23 pm https://www.wtatennis.com/news/3789961/ ... yer-awards

Not that we have any say but maybe a poll on this could be fun..
I'm contributing to Tennis.com's year-end coverage, which includes weighing in on Player of the Year and things like that. I went with Sabalenka for POTY because she changed the narrative of her career. Her legacy was heading toward "best player to never win a Slam." She vanquished her demons - the Australian Open final was a nailbiter, the kind of close big match she had choked away before - and changed her story. She suffers because it all happened so early in the season and she lost the #1 ranking to Swiatek at the end. But I think what she accomplished is bigger than what Swiatek did, by a hair.

Swiatek certainly has a good case by seizing hte No. 1 ranking at the end of the year. Could go either way.

I had to make a case for 5 players each in the WTA and ATP. It was pretty hard to do more than 2 on each side. I had to write it before the ATP Finals, and Carlos still had a play at it. But even then Novak was pretty much the runaway winner and now of course he is. For the women, it's either Sabalenka or Swiatek. I made a decent case for Coco - her 18-1 blitz in the summer had it all and she came through under the heaviest expectations possible and stole the show in 2023. But after that, I was reaching to make a case for Vondrousova and Svitolina as my 4 and 5 picks.

Sinner, Medvedev and Shelton were my 3-5 picks for the men. I really wanted to pick Mannarino. I hope he fits in one of the categories we haven't worked on yet.
I think a good case for Svitolina is not the results on their own but how little time she took off to then come back in great form. Compounded with her off-court work for Ukraine, it's very impressive!
I agree, it's very impressive. I made that very case with her as my #5 pick for Player of the Year - if the point of sports is to inspire, Svitolina told that story better than anyone else.

Post by meganfernandez »

ashkor87 wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 4:10 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:43 pm Shelton is the ATP newcomer. Top 15
is this his first year on the circuit? if so, then yes, clearly newcomer of the year..
His first full year on the main tour. Last year, he played Challengers and then got WCs into Atlanta, Cincy and the US Open. He beat Ruud in Cincy, so he got some attention. Michelson only played ITF and Challengers last year. I don't know what the criteria will be for Newcomer. Maybe Ben is the Breakout Player and Sinner is Most Improved.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ashkor87 wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:55 am

Newcomer of the Year - Ben Shelton hands down
Comeback Player - Gaël Monfils managing to win a title
Racquet Smash - Andrey Rublev
Most Disappointing - Stefanos Tsitsipas
As y'all have noticed I'm not big on Sinner so I'll take your word for it that he's most improved.
I'm not sure about how to categorize Carlos. Second only to Djokovic?

I'm still thinking about most telegenic.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

ti-amie wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:36 pm Newcomer of the Year - Ben Shelton hands down
As y'all have noticed I'm not big on Sinner so I'll take your word for it that he's most improved.

In terms of Sinner as most improved - just look at his ranking - he's now clearly in the #4 position, and he'll have a chance next year to move ahead of Medvedev.

In term of most disappointing what about Casper Ruud - came within a couple of sets of being #1 at the US Open last year, and this year finished outside the top 10.

Most telegenic is either Alcaraz, or Shelton - they both love the spotlight.

Rublev also deserves the Mikhail Youzhny Award for drawing blood while trying to smash a racquet on himself.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

skatingfan wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:02 pm
ti-amie wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:36 pm Newcomer of the Year - Ben Shelton hands down

In terms of Sinner as most improved - just look at his ranking - he's now clearly in the #4 position, and he'll have a chance next year to move ahead of Medvedev.

In term of most disappointing what about Casper Ruud - came within a couple of sets of being #1 at the US Open last year, and this year finished outside the top 10.

Most telegenic is either Alcaraz, or Shelton - they both love the spotlight.

Rublev also deserves the Mikhail Youzhny Award for drawing blood while trying to smash a racquet on himself.
Wow I totally forgot about Ruud. He should be most disappointing not Stefanos I think. There are a lot of people who thought he'd be at least ranked #2 by the end of the season and not just here. The pressure of expectations maybe?

And another TAT Award is created! Agree about the recipient of the Mikhail Youzhny award.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

Felix Auger Aliassime was a big disappointment this year as well.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Ruud was probably the most disappointing, I agree .but I never thought very highly of his game so not personally disappointed ..to me, he is a latter-day Ferrer, could do well but cannot contend for big trophies
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

apparently, Djokovic has now held serve the last 34 times he has served.. that is truly remarkable, when we consider the fact that he was not initially known for his serve, and the quality of his opposition -Medvedev, Sinner, Alcaraz.. this is beginning to get into Gonzales territory...

Post by meganfernandez »

ashkor87 wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:07 am apparently, Djokovic has now held serve the last 34 times he has served.. that is truly remarkable, when we consider the fact that he was not initially known for his serve, and the quality of his opposition -Medvedev, Sinner, Alcaraz.. this is beginning to get into Gonzales territory...
Gonzo? That Gonzales? He held serve a lot?
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Ricardo Alonzo Gonzales

He was never broken when serving for a set...
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Trivia...he was once married to Agassi's sister