106 S Hsieh, Su-Wei Chinese Taipei
107 Stefanini, Lucrezia Italy
108 Wickmayer, Yanina Belgium
109 Bonaventure, Ysaline Belgium
110 Shnaider, Diana
111 Birrell, Kimberly Australia
112 Errani, Sara Italy
113 Mandlik, Elizabeth United States

by ponchi101 This time I don't see Miss Other taking it.

by ashkor87
ponchi101 wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:40 pm This time I don't see Miss Other taking it.
he he.. she never did. Unless you count Vondrousova as 'miss other', which she could well be.

by skatingfan
ashkor87 wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 7:03 am he he.. she never did. Unless you count Vondrousova as 'miss other', which she could well be.
Raducanu was definitely Miss Other.

by ponchi101 Because, of course, we all saw Sofia Kenin winning the 2020 Aussie, the bookies had Elena Rybakina as the certain winner of the 2022 Wimbledon championships, Raducanu and Fernandez were indeed locks for that USO final, I remember when, after winning Strasbourg, Krejcikova became the certain winner of RG and this year Vondrousova surely was the Wimby champion from the outset, so much so that I really wonder why a good number of our members here picked her in the first round of the SP.
And Ostapenko winning RG? Surely, who could have not foreseen than one?

by ashkor87 I think we will have to keep track of junior champions 4 years ahead..Vondrousova was the #1 junior ...so I still have hopes of COS and Tauson...even Galfi.

by ashkor87
skatingfan wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 3:06 pm
ashkor87 wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 7:03 am he he.. she never did. Unless you count Vondrousova as 'miss other', which she could well be.
Raducanu was definitely Miss Other.
Yes..but really the only example recently...and even Vondrousova was runner-up at the French and Olympics and was #1 junior a few years ago..hardly a nobody..!

by skatingfan
ashkor87 wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 2:35 am Yes..but really the only example recently...and even Vondrousova was runner-up at the French and Olympics and was #1 junior a few years ago..hardly a nobody..!
Other would be a player winning the tournament who we wouldn't list as one of the say 5 to 10 favourites prior to the tournament.

Recent examples:
Elena Rybakina - Wimbledon 2022
Emma Raducanu - US Open 2021
Barbora Kreijkova - French Open 2021
Sofia Kenin - Australian Open 2020
Ashleigh Barty - French Open 2019

by ashkor87 Barty and Rybakina were certainly in my list. Kenin maybe..she had beaten Serena earlier..Raducanu and Krejcikova I agree...Vondrousova too. But it is still a small number, proportionally..

by ponchi101 You saw Ashley Barty winning the French in 2019 before the start of the tournament? Color me impressed. She was the 8th seed, and her best showing on clay that season was QF's at Madrid.

Vondrousova this year at Wimby: #42 in the ranking.

Nobody is calling them NOBODY's. We (or rather, I) say they were not in the list of favorites. If you are in the top 50 of tennis, you are not a nobody.

by ashkor87
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 3:45 pm You saw Ashley Barty winning the French in 2019 before the start of the tournament? Color me impressed. She was the 8th seed, and her best showing on clay that season was QF's at Madrid.

Vondrousova this year at Wimby: #42 in the ranking.

Nobody is calling them NOBODY's. We (or rather, I) say they were not in the list of favorites. If you are in the top 50 of tennis, you are not a nobody.
we all know it takes class to win a major - many people have won the French with Barty's kind of game, including the great Navratilova.. so to say her game is not suited to clay woud be wrong.. and performance at Madrid and Rome rarely presage anything for the French.. this is something we have seen year after year..

by meganfernandez
ashkor87 wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:50 am Barty and Rybakina were certainly in my list. Kenin maybe..she had beaten Serena earlier..Raducanu and Krejcikova I agree...Vondrousova too. But it is still a small number, proportionally..
I think your list is too big. It can't be everyone in the top 50, plus former No. 1 juniors, players with recent big upsets, and anyone's name you recognize. :)

by ashkor87 I was talking about 'miss other' not my list or your list. 'ANYBODY can win is a truism so not worth debating..that is all I am saying.

by ashkor87 Meanwhile, Andreeva is getting better and better with every run - she could be a serious threat at the USO by September.. ok, it was clay but I just watched her demolish Yatremska at Lausanne, very impressive, the way she mastered the court..
looking forward to great things from her at the US Open..

by ponchi101 The run at W was good enough. For a first time on that surface, that showing was promising.
I don't know if she is ready to be THE dark horse, but certainly worth considering as a betting option. I say 3R is a reasonable and conservative option (depending on the draw, of course).

by ti-amie

by ashkor87 those will be a bit heavier, wont they? and easier to control. Should help the big hitters (Saba, Ryba etc.)

by ponchi101 I assume WILSON Extra or Regular duty.
I am not good enough to ever have noticed the difference between those two. it is not as if you are switching from the Slazengers/Dunlops to the Head/Penns, which are truly different. Or as if you were playing with pressure-less balls.

by ashkor87
ponchi101 wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 2:38 pm I assume WILSON Extra or Regular duty.
I am not good enough to ever have noticed the difference between those two. it is not as if you are switching from the Slazengers/Dunlops to the Head/Penns, which are truly different. Or as if you were playing with pressure-less balls.
the difference is quite noticeable, actually .. I have played with both..

by ti-amie

by nelslus No WC's for Townsend and Brengle? Ridiculous.

Granted, they're next in if two more players drop out- Brengle fist, then Taylor. The US Open site has Dolehide now in the main draw, due to a player dropping out.

by meganfernandez
nelslus wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:48 pm No WC's for Townsend and Brengle? Ridiculous.

Granted, they're next in if two more players drop out- Brengle fist, then Taylor. The US Open site has Dolehide now in the main draw, due to a player dropping out.
Hopefully that's the reason. They will probably get in.

by ti-amie Katie Swan is out with a back injury...

by ashkor87 Looking for good things from Andeeeva and Parks..second week would be great.
Coco will do well this year, I expect- semis? Quarters?

by ponchi101 Won't make any calls until the USO. This time, the draw will matter.
As in: who wants to run into Muchova in the quarters? Anybody?

by ti-amie Daniel Radu
@danielradutenis
Exclusive US Open Womens Doubles Entry List.🎾Some interesting teams: Pliskova / Vekic, Garcia / Mladenovic, Hsieh / Wang Xinyu, Vondrousova / Strycova, Fruhvirtova / Osorio, Collins / N Kichenok, Mattek-Sands / Potapova, Boulter / Putintseva etc #USOpen #USOpenTennis #USOpen2023

by ti-amie José Morgado
@josemorgado
·
4h
US Open 2023, Women's Singles seeds:

(First out: Sherif)

by Suliso
ashkor87 wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 1:26 am Looking for good things from Andeeeva and Parks..second week would be great.
Sure, but it could be Iga or Coco round 1 and done. Can't say anything about unseeded players till the draw is out.

by ashkor87 true enough, just expressing a hope.

by ponchi101 Andreeva has not played due to age limitations, but her last outings were very good. However, I have not seen anything from Parks to share your enthusiasm. The draw will tell, as Suliso says, but Parks can be gone in 1R even against another unseeded player.

by ashkor87 Parks has the 'big game'..possibly the fastest serve in the game plus great athletic skills..whether she wins or not, I enjoy watching her.All the folks who like Keys should like Parks too..

by nelslus
ti-amie wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 8:30 pm Daniel Radu
@danielradutenis
Exclusive US Open Womens Doubles Entry List.🎾Some interesting teams: Pliskova / Vekic, Garcia / Mladenovic, Hsieh / Wang Xinyu, Vondrousova / Strycova, Fruhvirtova / Osorio, Collins / N Kichenok, Mattek-Sands / Potapova, Boulter / Putintseva etc #USOpen #USOpenTennis #USOpen2023

This does begs the question- why aren't Hsieh and Strycova playing the US Open together? :?:

by ti-amie
nelslus wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:17 am
ti-amie wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 8:30 pm Daniel Radu
@danielradutenis

This does begs the question- why aren't Hsieh and Strycova playing the US Open together? :?:
You're not the only one asking that question.

by skatingfan Wasn't Strycova retiring after Wimbledon?

by meganfernandez
skatingfan wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 2:33 am Wasn't Strycova retiring after Wimbledon?
Didn't she just come back? Retiring again already?

by ashkor87 she even played a tournament after where she was beaten by Raina, so no, I think she has announced it is her last Wimbledon, that is all

by meganfernandez
ashkor87 wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 3:17 am she even played a tournament after where she was beaten by Raina, so no, I think she has announced it is her last Wimbledon, that is all
Maybe Hsieh and Strycova are playing with fellow countrywomen to practice or qualify for the Olympics. Hsieh's partner is Chinese, not Taiwanese. Not sure if China and Taiwan have separate Olympic teams? I hope we see Hsieh and Strycova reunite. Love them.

by ashkor87
meganfernandez wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 3:19 am Not sure if China and Taiwan have separate Olympic teams?
They are separate .. I think it may be more a case of styles - Strycova is anyway retring and Hsieh needs a powerful partner..
meanwhile, I am a wee bit disappointed Townsend has gone back to playing with Leylah.. Parks suits her better, actually I wish she was playing with Venus!

by meganfernandez
ashkor87 wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 3:25 am
meganfernandez wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 3:19 am Not sure if China and Taiwan have separate Olympic teams?
They are separate .. I think it may be more a case of styles - Strycova is anyway retring and Hsieh needs a powerful partner..
meanwhile, I am a wee bit disappointed Townsend has gone back to playing with Leylah.. Parks suits her better, actually I wish she was playing with Venus!
But they were very successful together and came back together. You wish Taylor was playing with Venus?

by JTContinental I agree these seem like Olympic pairings. If I remember from Rio, there is a minimum amount of tournaments you had to play together in order to qualify.

by ashkor87
meganfernandez wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 3:27 am You wish Taylor was playing with Venus?
yes, Venus would be just right for her, and Venus anyway should be playing doubles to extend her own career..

by skatingfan
JTContinental wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 4:50 am I agree these seem like Olympic pairings. If I remember from Rio, there is a minimum amount of tournaments you had to play together in order to qualify.
No, the only requirements are to participate, or be available to participate in Davis Cup/Billie Jean King Cup, and even then there are plenty of exemptions. Qualifications are based on rankings. Doubles players ranked in the top 10 as June 10, 2024 (first ranking after the French Open) are guaranteed entry, and everyone else will be based on combined ranking of the partners using the highest of singles/doubles ranking.

by ti-amie Main Draw Singles

WOMEN'S SINGLES R1
POL I. Swiatek [1] vs SWE R. Peterson
WOMEN'S SINGLES R1
Upcoming
USA C. Ngounoue vs AUS D. Saville
WOMEN'S SINGLES R1
Upcoming
USA L. Davis vs MNE D. Kovinic
WOMEN'S SINGLES R1
Upcoming
Qualifier vs ITA E. Cocciaretto [29]

WOMEN'S SINGLES R1
Upcoming
LAT J. Ostapenko [20] vs ITA J. Paolini
WOMEN'S SINGLES R1
Upcoming
FRA A. Cornet vs RUS E. Avanesyan
WOMEN'S SINGLES R1
Upcoming
AUT J. Grabher vs CHN X. Wang
WOMEN'S SINGLES R1
Upcoming
USA B. Pera vs RUS V. Kudermetova [16]

WOMEN'S SINGLES R1
Upcoming
CZE P. Kvitova [11] vs ESP C. Bucsa
WOMEN'S SINGLES R1
Upcoming
Qualifier vs DEN C. Wozniacki
WOMEN'S SINGLES R1
Upcoming
Qualifier vs USA J. Brady
WOMEN'S SINGLES R1
Upcoming
BLR A. Sasnovich vs POL M. Linette [24]

WOMEN'S SINGLES R1
Upcoming
BEL E. Mertens [32] vs Qualifier
WOMEN'S SINGLES R1
Upcoming
USA D. Collins vs CZE L. Fruhvirtova
WOMEN'S SINGLES R1
Upcoming
Qualifier vs RUS M. Andreeva
WOMEN'S SINGLES R1
Upcoming
Qualifier vs USA C. Gauff [6]

WOMEN'S SINGLES R1
Upcoming
KAZ E. Rybakina [4] vs UKR M. Kostyuk
WOMEN'S SINGLES R1
Upcoming
HUN P. Udvardy vs AUS A. Tomljanovic
WOMEN'S SINGLES R1
Upcoming
RUS A. Kalinskaya vs CZE K. Siniakova
WOMEN'S SINGLES R1
Upcoming
USA K. Day vs ROU S. Cirstea [30]

WOMEN'S SINGLES R1
Upcoming
BLR V. Azarenka [18] vs FRA F. Ferro
WOMEN'S SINGLES R1
Upcoming
CHN L. Zhu vs EGY M. Sherif
WOMEN'S SINGLES R1
Upcoming
Qualifier vs RUS M. Betova
WOMEN'S SINGLES R1
Upcoming
RUS K. Rakhimova vs SUI B. Bencic [15]

WOMEN'S SINGLES R1
Upcoming
CZE K. Muchova [10] vs AUS S. Hunter
WOMEN'S SINGLES R1
Upcoming
POL M. Frech vs USA E. Navarro
WOMEN'S SINGLES R1
Upcoming
FRA V. Gracheva vs USA T. Townsend
WOMEN'S SINGLES R1
Upcoming
USA S. Stephens vs BRA B. Haddad Maia [19]

Bottom Half

WOMEN'S SINGLES R1
Upcoming
UKR A. Kalinina [28] vs ESP S. Sorribes Tormo
WOMEN'S SINGLES R1
Upcoming
Qualifier vs CHN X. Wang
WOMEN'S SINGLES R1
Upcoming
SVK A. Schmiedlova vs UKR K. Baindl
WOMEN'S SINGLES R1
Upcoming
ESP R. Masarova vs GRE M. Sakkari [8]

WOMEN'S SINGLES R1
Upcoming
FRA C. Garcia [7] vs Qualifier
WOMEN'S SINGLES R1
Upcoming
GBR K. Boulter vs FRA D. Parry
WOMEN'S SINGLES R1
Upcoming
USA P. Stearns vs BUL V. Tomova
WOMEN'S SINGLES R1
Upcoming
DEN C. Tauson vs RUS A. Potapova [27]

WOMEN'S SINGLES R1
Upcoming
RUS E. Alexandrova [22] vs CAN L. Fernandez
WOMEN'S SINGLES R1
Upcoming
CAN B. Andreescu vs UKR L. Tsurenko
WOMEN'S SINGLES R1
Upcoming
ITA M. Trevisan vs KAZ Y. Putintseva
WOMEN'S SINGLES R1
Upcoming
Qualifier vs CZE M. Vondrousova [9]

WOMEN'S SINGLES R1
Upcoming
RUS L. Samsonova [14] vs USA C. Liu
WOMEN'S SINGLES R1
Upcoming
ROU I. Begu vs GER T. Korpatsch
WOMEN'S SINGLES R1
Upcoming
Qualifier vs Qualifier
WOMEN'S SINGLES R1
Upcoming
NED A. Rus vs USA M. Keys [17]

WOMEN'S SINGLES R1
Upcoming
UKR E. Svitolina [26] vs GER A. Friedsam
WOMEN'S SINGLES R1
Upcoming
RUS A. Pavlyuchenkova vs Qualifier
WOMEN'S SINGLES R1
Upcoming
ROU P. Tig vs CAN R. Marino
WOMEN'S SINGLES R1
Upcoming
ITA C. Giorgi vs USA J. Pegula [3]

WOMEN'S SINGLES R1
Upcoming
TUN O. Jabeur [5] vs COL C. Osorio
WOMEN'S SINGLES R1
Upcoming
CZE L. Noskova vs USA M. Brengle
WOMEN'S SINGLES R1
Upcoming
GER T. Maria vs CRO P. Martic
WOMEN'S SINGLES R1
Upcoming
USA A. Krueger vs CZE M. Bouzkova [31]

WOMEN'S SINGLES R1
Upcoming
CHN Q. Zheng [23] vs ARG N. Podoroska
WOMEN'S SINGLES R1
Upcoming
CZE B. Strycova vs EST K. Kanepi
WOMEN'S SINGLES R1
Upcoming
USA R. Montgomery vs Qualifier
WOMEN'S SINGLES R1
Upcoming
ITA L. Bronzetti vs CZE B. Krejcikova [12]

WOMEN'S SINGLES R1
Upcoming
RUS D. Kasatkina [13] vs USA A. Parks
WOMEN'S SINGLES R1
Upcoming
ROU A. Bogdan vs USA S. Kenin
WOMEN'S SINGLES R1
Upcoming
ESP P. Badosa vs USA V. Williams
WOMEN'S SINGLES R1
Upcoming
Qualifier vs CRO D. Vekic [21]

WOMEN'S SINGLES R1
Upcoming
CZE K. Pliskova [25] vs Qualifier
WOMEN'S SINGLES R1
Upcoming
USA C. Dolehide vs FRA C. Burel
WOMEN'S SINGLES R1
Upcoming
RUS A. Blinkova vs GBR J. Burrage
WOMEN'S SINGLES R1
Upcoming
BEL M. Zanevska vs BLR A. Sabalenka [2]

ROUND 1 $81,500
ROUND 2 $123,000
ROUND 3 $191,000

by JTContinental
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 3:03 pm Andreeva has not played due to age limitations, but her last outings were very good. However, I have not seen anything from Parks to share your enthusiasm. The draw will tell, as Suliso says, but Parks can be gone in 1R even against another unseeded player.
She looked pretty junior playing against Sloane Stephens

by ashkor87 Well, Sloane is an Expert At doing that!

by ashkor87 Leylah vs Alexandrova! Sad, for me, both are my faves..so also Rybakina - Kostyuk..Parks has a very tough first round against Kasatkina..But not impossible, we shall see what she is made of.

by ashkor87 from the draw, and what I can make out about the court speed (medium to slow), I would expect the semis to be:
Swiatek vs Rybakina, Alexandrova vs Jabeur.. finals to be Jabeur versus Rybakina..

early days, but that is what predictions are for!

by JTContinental
ashkor87 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:39 am from the draw, and what I can amke out about the court speed (medium to slow), I would expect the semis to be:
Swiatek vs Rybakina, Alexandrova vs Jabeur.. finals to be Jabeur versus Rybakina..

after sorting through the draw, my picks are Gauff vs Muchova andd Pegula vs Sabalenka in the semis and Sabalenka over Gauff as the champion.

by ashkor87
JTContinental wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:20 am
ashkor87 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:39 am from the draw, and what I can amke out about the court speed (medium to slow), I would expect the semis to be:

after sorting through the draw, my picks are Gauff vs Muchova andd Pegula vs Sabalenka in the semis and Sabalenka over Gauff as the champion.
So I gather you are expecting Muchova to beat Rybakina?
Could happen, we will find out how good Muchova really is...

by meganfernandez Coco has an incredibly tough draw... Andreeva R2, Mertens R3, I forget sho in R4, Iga QF, then possibly Rybakina and/or Sabalenka. All with massive hype. But the projected draw won't happen that way, so maybe she gets by Iga and has a lesser player than Rybakina in the semis.

by meganfernandez
ashkor87 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:39 am from the draw, and what I can make out about the court speed (medium to slow), I would expect the semis to be:

No Samsonova? :) I admire your stubborness on keep betting on Alexandrova. Eventually you might be right.

For Jabeur, the second week would be an accomplishment IMO. DInged up physically and mentally.

by Suliso Agree about Jabeur. First week exit looms...

by ashkor87
meganfernandez wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:50 pm I admire your stubborness on keep betting on Alexandrova
when has she ever let me down? I dont expect her to beat a Tier 1 player but the others...

by ashkor87
meganfernandez wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:50 pm For Jabeur, the second week would be an accomplishment IMO. DInged up physically and mentally.
yes, you could be right, but look at the way she came back at W.. nobody expected that. she should be well-rested by now..didnt work much the past couple weeks..

by ashkor87
meganfernandez wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:50 pm No Samsonova?
yes, you are right, I have sort of overlooked her.. I have not been impressed with her performance in the majors.. the lesser tournaments, yes.

by ashkor87
meganfernandez wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:49 pm I forget sho in R4
probably Kvitova
I am expecting Collins to beat Mertens, so it would be Collins in R3, tougher than Mertens - I dont think Coco would have any trouble at all with Mertens.

by ashkor87 strangely enough, people are expecting Rybakina to reach the semis and then lose.. if she does lose because of her shoulder, wont it be in the first week itself? and is she gets to the semis, nobody less than a Swiatek or Sabalenka can beat her..

by ti-amie
ashkor87 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:47 pm strangely enough, people are expecting Rybakina to reach the semis and then lose.. if she does lose because of her shoulder, wont it be in the first week itself? and is she gets to the semis, nobody less than a Swiatek or Sabalenka can beat her..
I was wondering the same thing. Rybakina has been underwhelming during the summer hardcourt swing leading up to the US Open unless she's been "saving" herself for the Open :roll:

by meganfernandez
ti-amie wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:51 pm
ashkor87 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:47 pm strangely enough, people are expecting Rybakina to reach the semis and then lose.. if she does lose because of her shoulder, wont it be in the first week itself? and is she gets to the semis, nobody less than a Swiatek or Sabalenka can beat her..
I was wondering the same thing. Rybakina has been underwhelming during the summer hardcourt swing leading up to the US Open unless she's been "saving" herself for the Open :roll:
Right... i think her shoulder and general inconsistency will keep her out of the final, but maybe her shoulder isn't as bad as it seems. She's streaky. Maybe she'll streak to the final.

by meganfernandez
ashkor87 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:38 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:49 pm I forget sho in R4
probably Kvitova
I am expecting Collins to beat Mertens, so it would be Collins in R3, tougher than Mertens - I dont think Coco would have any trouble at all with Mertens.
Maybe not but Mertens is a wily veteran and knows how to win matches. I don't know what kind of form she is in.

by meganfernandez
ashkor87 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:22 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:50 pm I admire your stubborness on keep betting on Alexandrova
when has she ever let me down? I dont expect her to beat a Tier 1 player but the others...
I assume she let you down in Cincy losing 0 and 2 to Cirstea, and at all the slams when she went out by the 3rd round (every one but this year's Wimbledon). Never past the 2nd round at the US Open, so semi seems like a stretch. She barely beat Madison Brengle at W (three tiebtreak sets).

Nice game but a low Tier 2 or high Tier 3 player, IMO. Not trying to pick on you. But semis? You're a true fan! :)

by JTContinental
ashkor87 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:24 am
JTContinental wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:20 am

So I gather you are expecting Muchova to beat Rybakina?
Could happen, we will find out how good Muchova really is...
Yes, or even to goi out before that matchup. I don’t think her shoulder will hold up

by ashkor87 Was she streaky at Indian Wells, Miami, Rome? Why do you say she is streaky?

by ashkor87 Re alexandrova and samsonova..my sense is S is more powerful but not as good a mover..neither is Tier 1 but both are top of Tier 2..in the same class as, say, Bencic

by JTContinental
ashkor87 wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 12:07 am Was she streaky at Indian Wells, Miami, Rome? Why do you say she is streaky?
Except for this year, her whole career has been streaky.

by ashkor87
JTContinental wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 12:17 am
ashkor87 wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 12:07 am Was she streaky at Indian Wells, Miami, Rome? Why do you say she is streaky?
Except for this year, her whole career has been streaky.
Her career is just starting.

by JTContinental Er…she’s 24 and went pro in 2014

by skatingfan
JTContinental wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 1:29 am Er…she’s 24 and went pro in 2014
Technically it was 2017 - she was still playing junior events until that year, while also playing ITF events. Rybakina has definitely turned a corner this year in terms of consistency, but she's never been beyond the third round at the US Open, so one of those things will have to give this year. Let's see how the shoulder looks in the first round.

by ashkor87
JTContinental wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 1:29 am Er…she’s 24 and went pro in 2014
Younger than Pegula though, whose career is also on its first lap..

by meganfernandez
ashkor87 wrote:Was she streaky at Indian Wells, Miami, Rome? Why do you say she is streaky?
Yes, she was on a hot streak :)

Then she loses or withdraws from a few or goes through a patch like this summer, winning but barely, to players she should be rolling. She isn’t as streaky as Muguruza - the lows aren’t as low - but she isn’t as reliable as Sabalenka, Pegula and Iga. And she is hurt a lot. Went out in R1 last year.l to Burel in straights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by ashkor87 please tell me ONE match Rybakina lost on hard courts that she shouldnt have, when she was fit and well, between the MidEast swing and now... maybe my memory is going.

by ashkor87 I am surprised nobody has voted for Vondrousova.. she certainly has a chance, better than 1% anyway

by ponchi101 I would give Karo a better chance than Marketa, ergo I would not put any points on her.

by meganfernandez
ashkor87 wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 5:37 am please tell me ONE match Rybakina lost on hard courts that she shouldnt have, when she was fit and well, between the MidEast swing and now... maybe my memory is going.
Not necessarily lost, but lots of tight matches. She doesn't seem to be in full flight a lot. Also has 5 walkovers or retirements this year.

by meganfernandez
ashkor87 wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 6:05 am I am surprised nobody has voted for Vondrousova.. she certainly has a chance, better than 1% anyway
She's in my top 10, but really only the top 3 or 4 deserve much attention IMO. Beyond that, it's a crapshoot and "other" territory for me, based on curent form, recent results, and health.

by ponchi101
meganfernandez wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 4:12 pm
ashkor87 wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 5:37 am please tell me ONE match Rybakina lost on hard courts that she shouldnt have, when she was fit and well, between the MidEast swing and now... maybe my memory is going.
Not necessarily lost, but lots of tight matches. She doesn't seem to be in full flight a lot. Also has 5 walkovers or retirements this year.
Aren't those a bit too many conditionals? ;)
ONE match, ON hard courts, WHEN she was well, BETWEEN THIS frame of time, AGAINST left handed opponents whose names DO NOT END IN Ova, Eva, Ina or -TH.
I agree, she can be tough. But I don't think her shoulder is doing that well.

by ashkor87
meganfernandez wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 4:12 pm
ashkor87 wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 5:37 am please tell me ONE match Rybakina lost on hard courts that she shouldnt have, when she was fit and well, between the MidEast swing and now... maybe my memory is
Injury and crazy, inhumane scheduling.

by ashkor87
ashkor87 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:22 pm
The draw Is a bit kinder to Alexandrova than to Samsonova...except for Leylah first round!

by skatingfan First Grand Slam
Crawley, Fiona – United States of America (21)
Ngounoue, Clervie – United States of America (17)
Prozorova, Tatiana – Russia (19)

First US Open
Andreeva, Mirra – Russia (16)
Birrell, Kimberly – Australia (25)
Bjorklund, Mirjam – Sweden (25)
Burrage, Jodie – Great Britain (24)
Gadecki, Olivia – Australia (21)
Grabher, Julia – Austria (27)
Han, Na-Iae – Republic of Korea (31)
Jacquemot, Elsa – France (20)
Lys, Eva – Germany (21)
Miyazaki, Yuriko – Japan (27)
Udvardy, Panna – Hungary (24)

by ashkor87 Sorry, repeat post..mobile

by ashkor87 First day potential upsets: Rybakina vs Kostyuk, Sloane vs BHM..Bhm has a 50% chance, Kostyuk about 40%..

by jazzyg Is it just me, or is it impossible to pull up the year-long (and older) results for players on the WTA website?

The link that used to be there is gone, and the new one that says All Matches does not work.

I use that thing all the time when researching potential Survivor Pool picks.

by ashkor87
jazzyg wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 5:06 pm Is it just me, or is it impossible to pull up the year-long (and older) results for players on the WTA website?

The link that used to be there is gone, and the new one that says All Matches does not work.

They know what we are trying to do! :P

by Oploskoffie
jazzyg wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 5:06 pm Is it just me, or is it impossible to pull up the year-long (and older) results for players on the WTA website?

It's definitely not you! Been trying the same for a couple of days now an no luck as yet :-/

by ponchi101
Oploskoffie wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 6:06 pm

It's definitely not you! Been trying the same for a couple of days now an no luck as yet :-/
Ditto. Their site is not working well.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 6:39 pm
Oploskoffie wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 6:06 pm

Ditto. Their site is not working well.
Same. It was there until recently. And All Matches doesn't work for me, either

by ti-amie I'm being told that the practice session today between Pegula and Sabalenka had fans on their feet applauding them. Pegula's foot speed is amazing in person and Sabalenka's power is almost neutralized by Pegula getting everything back.

I'm trying to find out what court they practiced on.

They were practicing on Ashe.

by JTContinental

Damn--I use that extensively to do my research for TMQ recaps, too

by jazzyg It is fixed.

by ti-amie Sakkari, Kudermetova and now Stephens are out. Sloane put up a good fight but Bia had more in reserve.

by ti-amie Mark Taylor 🇳🇿:TheCDN4:
@emarktaylor@thecanadian.social
🎾 #Tennis @tennis #USOpen

Via Dan Wolken 🤖 @DanWolken

I may have to go investigate this later today. New York smells bad? Never.

I saw some suggestions about what she was smelling. It is legal now in NY though...

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by JTContinental
ti-amie wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:03 pm

I saw some suggestions about what she was smelling. It is legal now in NY though...
"Eau de Seattle" I believe is what it's called...

by ti-amie Grabher has withdrawn due to injury. She's being replaced by Hrunčáková.

by ti-amie Women's Doubles Draw

CZE B. Krejcikova [1]/CZE K. Siniakova [1]
vs JPN M. Ninomiya/USA S. Santamaria
CZE B. Strycova/CZE M. Vondrousova vs SVK T. Mihalikova/CHN Y. Xu
GBR K. Boulter/KAZ Y. Putintseva vs TPE F. Wu/CHN L. Zhu
USA L. Davis/CZE A. Detiuc vs CAN G. Dabrowski [16]/NZL E. Routliffe [16]

TPE L. Chan [11]/CHN Z. Yang [11] vs RUS A. Blinkova/FRA V. Gracheva
ITA L. Bronzetti/JPN E. Hozumi vs CZE K. Pliskova/CRO D. Vekic
FRA C. Garcia/FRA K. Mladenovic vs FRA A. Cornet/POL K. Piter
USA O. Center/USA K. Fakih vs CAN L. Fernandez [6]/USA T. Townsend [6]

USA C. Gauff [3]/USA J. Pegula [3] vs USA Q. Gleason/USA E. Mandlik
USA S. Kenin/USA C. Vandeweghe vs ESP C. Bucsa/RUS A. Panova
RUS I. Khromacheva/AUS D. Saville vs USA F. Crawley/USA C. Tanguilig
ROU I. Begu/UKR A. Kalinina vs UKR M. Kostyuk [14]/ROU E. Ruse [14]

UKR L. Kichenok [10]/LAT J. Ostapenko [10] vs VEN A. Gamiz/ESP S. Sorribes Tormo
RUS E. Avanesyan/RUS K. Rakhimova vs FRA C. Burel/FRA D. Parry
BLR L. Marozava/BRA I. Martins vs USA B. Mattek-Sands/RUS A. Potapova
CZE L. Fruhvirtova/COL C. Osorio vs TPE S. Hsieh [8]/CHN X. Wang [8]

JPN S. Aoyama [7]/JPN E. Shibahara [7] vs USA R. Montgomery/USA C. Ngounoue
USA M. Jones/USA J. Loeb vs CZE M. Kolodziejova/CZE L. Noskova
BEL G. Minnen/BEL Y. Wickmayer vs RUS Y. Sizikova/BEL K. Zimmermann
USA C. Dolehide/USA A. Muhammad vs GER L. Siegemund [12]/RUS V. Zvonareva [12]

JPN M. Kato [15]/INA A. Sutjiadi [15] vs RUS E. Alexandrova/BLR A. Sasnovich
USA E. Navarro/USA P. Stearns vs KAZ A. Danilina/GBR H. Watson
BLR V. Azarenka/BRA B. Haddad Maia vs HUN T. Babos/HUN A. Bondar
GEO O. Kalashnikova/BLR I. Shymanovich vs USA D. Krawczyk [4]/NED D. Schuurs [4]

USA N. Melichar-Martinez [5]/AUS E. Perez [5] vs ARG N. Podoroska/EGY M. Sherif
ITA E. Cocciaretto/ITA M. Trevisan vs POL M. Linette/USA B. Pera
USA S. Chang/USA A. Parks vs CHI A. Guarachi/ROU M. Niculescu
NOR U. Eikeri/EST I. Neel vs TPE H. Chan [9]/MEX G. Olmos [9]

RUS V. Kudermetova [13]/RUS L. Samsonova [13] vs ITA J. Paolini/CHN X. Wang
RUS A. Kalinskaya/RUS A. Pavlyuchenkova vs USA J. Brady/BRA L. Stefani
GER T. Maria/NED A. Rus vs USA A. Krueger/USA A. Kulikov
USA D. Collins/UKR N. Kichenok vs AUS S. Hunter [2]/BEL E. Mertens [2]

Round 1
$22,000

Round 2
$36,800

Round 3
$58,000

by ashkor87 Day 2 matches to look forward to: pegula vs Giorgi and Alexandrova vs Leylah...Pegula and Alexandrova have about 60% chance..

by meganfernandez

Matches link is back.

by ashkor87 Watching Kenin..she has amazing variety, great shot-selection...subtle player, like Sloane in that regard.

by ashkor87 This match is 'our Russian' vs 'their Russian'..

by meganfernandez
ashkor87 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:31 pm Watching Kenin..she has amazing variety, great shot-selection...subtle player, like Sloane in that regard.
Smooth, too. I love watching her play. Seems to always pick the right shot and know where to be.

by ashkor87 Pliskova is out, to Burel....she has really declined this year...

by ashkor87 Pegula vs Svitolina next..both very good players, very similar in many ways.. I think of Pegula as being the new Halep.. should be very close and entertaining..I would bet on Pegula but who knows..
Coco and Muchova should win, against Mertens and TT respectively, though it wont be easy, especially Taylor
Coco doesnt have anyone who can stop her before the QFs... good draw.

by Fastbackss Pegula a surprisingly large favorite in eyes of the sports book. She's at -300. For comparison, Dasha is -350 to beat Minnen.

by ponchi101
Fastbackss wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:33 am Pegula a surprisingly large favorite in eyes of the sports book. She's at -300. For comparison, Dasha is -350 to beat Minnen.
I know nothing about betting, but sounds about right to me...

by Fastbackss Exactly. This is saying Dasha is about the same fav as Pegula.

I would not be willing to say that.

by ashkor87 Cirstea is really exposing Rybakina's lack of movement..

by ashkor87
ponchi101 wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:19 pm
Fastbackss wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:33 am Pegula a surprisingly large favorite in eyes of the sports book. She's at -300. For comparison, Dasha is -350 to beat Minnen.
I know nothing about betting, but sounds about right to me...
Yes, Watson says 93% Pegula ...seems a bit high to me but that is the trouble with these percentages.. I would make it 70-30:Dasha 90% I can understand...

by ashkor87 Watson :
Alexandrova 31% Vondrousova 69%
Samsonova 48% Keys 52%

I would reverse the Samsonova-Keys estimate, and would say Alexandrova - Vondrousova is 50-50

by JTContinental I'm going to split the difference with you and say that Vondrousova takes out Alexandrova and Samsonova beats Keys fairly easily

by ashkor87 Watching Saba...she seems to be moving much better these days....must have worked on it...she is so sweet..sweet smile..commentator is saying her biomechanical consultant got her to realize her serving yips were not mental, her action had no upward movement.. interesting..watching carefully to see if it is visible..

by ashkor87 Keys and Samsonova, cut from the same cloth..can't handle each other power!

by ashkor87 Increasingly clear why Samsonova hasn't won a major yet.very poor footwork, movement..

by mick1303
ashkor87 wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 5:05 pm Increasingly clear why Samsonova hasn't won a major yet.very poor footwork, movement..
Keys, on the other hand ... ))))

by JTContinental Well, I couldn't have been more wrong about Samsonova/Keys...

by ashkor87
JTContinental wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 6:38 pm Well, I couldn't have been more wrong about Samsonova/Keys...
Me too

by ashkor87
mick1303 wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 5:17 pm
ashkor87 wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 5:05 pm Increasingly clear why Samsonova hasn't won a major yet.very poor footwork, movement..
Keys, on the other hand ... ))))
Oh,she was always like that

by ashkor87
First time I have watched a full match of Samsonova. This court is too fast for her..she needs IW or clay..

by ashkor87 Vondrousova's defense frustrating Alexandrova...who isn't coming forward either...V is likely to win
She is a worthy Wimbledon champion...

by ashkor87 Jabeur not impressive thus far..good chance QZ will stop her.. then the semis is looking like Swiatek - Muchova, Sabalenka vs either Pegula or Vondrousova (both have about an even chance I would say)..

by Suliso A rather conventional line up for R16. Rybakina the only surprising drop out.

I have a feeling Swiatek or Sabalenka or both will be stopped before SF's. Iga, for example, has never beaten Ostapenko.

by ashkor87
Suliso wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 5:43 am A rather conventional line up for R16. Rybakina the only surprising drop out.

I have a feeling Swiatek or Sabalenka or both will be stopped before SF's. Iga, for example, has never beaten Ostapenko.
Didn't know that about Iga and Osta..

by ashkor87 https://www.wtatennis.com/news/3667823/ ... ound-of-16

Keys is being a bit delusional...the big difference between herself and Pegula is movement.. P will move her around and beat her quite comfortably..

by ashkor87 https://www.wtatennis.com/news/3665507/ ... ed-rematch

I am not the only one who thinks Coco and Caro are similar..

by ashkor87 Am very impressed with Vondrousova..she just shut down a talented player like Alexandrova..smothered her..reminded me of Djokovic. She is a real contender now...ahead of folks like Jabeur et al...

by ashkor87 I hate the fact that both Muchova and Wang are wearing the same outfits, more of less, hard to tell them apart..
There should be a law against it!

by ashkor87 I do so hope Osta beats Swiatek. Love her devil-.may-care attitude

by ashkor87 Petkovic - whom I respect a lot- says Iga is playing the right way against Osta..being aggressive..

by ti-amie The Tennis Podcast 🤖
@TennisPodcast@sportsbots.xyz
‘Jelena Ostapenko is the toughest player to coach against’

- Darren Cahill on ESPN.

by ti-amie The Tennis Podcast 🤖
@TennisPodcast@sportsbots.xyz
Ostapenko on Swiatek pre-match:

“It’s not easy to be number one because everyone wants to beat you. I’ll probably take advantage of that.”

by ashkor87 She is about to bagel Iga!! Is that even allowed?!

by ashkor87 I guess not

by meganfernandez Sabalenka’s to lose.

by JTContinental Ostapenko remains undefeated against Swiatek

Swiatek will lose the #1 spot after the tournament to Sabalenka

by skatingfan First time US Open Champion this year, and first time US Open finalist in the top half of the women's draw.

by jazzyg
Suliso wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 5:43 am A rather conventional line up for R16. Rybakina the only surprising drop out.

Good call. The conventional wisdom was the head to head would not matter, but conventional wisdom was dead wrong.

by ashkor87
meganfernandez wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:01 am Sabalenka’s to lose.

Hope she grabs it...but it could even be Coco, or Muchova or Pegula...

by ti-amie I didn't vote in the poll but I think Miss Other is going to take it.

by ashkor87 If it is Sabalenka vs Ostapenko, they will have to get new balls every alternate game...

by ashkor87 Head to head always matters..for instance between swiatek and Ostapenko..if Osta had beaten her 3 times in a row, there would be a reason for it..their games must somehow be matching up that way..unless we think that reason is no longer valid, why should we expect the result to be different?

by ashkor87
ti-amie wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 7:28 am I didn't vote in the poll but I think Miss Other is going to take it.
The others are all in the poll - so that leaves only Stearns, Kasatkina, Keys, Qz and Cirstea and, of course Ostapenko..somehow I cant see anyone other than Ostapenko from this list as having any chance...

by ashkor87 Me betting on Vondrousova now...

by Fastbackss
ashkor87 wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:47 am Head to head always matters..for instance between swiatek and Ostapenko..if Osta had beaten her 3 times in a row, there would be a reason for it..their games must somehow be matching up that way..unless we think that reason is no longer valid, why should we expect the result to be different?
I was aware of this stat, and liked how Osta was playing, even at end of first set that she lost.
So, I didn't mind that Osta's odds changed to 10-1 after the first set (obviously higher than at start of match). Was a good time to get in...

by meganfernandez
ashkor87 wrote:
meganfernandez wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:01 am Sabalenka’s to lose.

Hope she grabs it...but it could even be Coco, or Muchova or Pegula...
Yeah big opportunity for any of them but Sabalenka should win if she plays her best.

Muchova was the first winner of the tournament on Day 1. I said at the time it would be nice if she were the last winner, too.

by ashkor87 Vondrousova struggling with a neck or shoulder problem.. Stearns is really good but a rather poor mover..that will slow her down as she progresses ..

by ashkor87 Keys handling the heat much better than Pegula..who is visibly wilting...

by Suliso I'm expecting Ostapenko vs Keys final now.

by nelslus
Suliso wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 5:13 pm I'm expecting Ostapenko vs Keys final now.
Of course, pre-tournament start- I'd have called this option insane. As things stand now- why not?

I'd pick another pair. But, LOL, I refuse to post any finalists options. Because I truly have no idea.

by meganfernandez
nelslus wrote:
Suliso wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 5:13 pm I'm expecting Ostapenko vs Keys final now.
Of course, pre-tournament start- I'd have called this option insane. As things stand now- why not?

I'd pick another pair. But, LOL, I refuse to post any finalists options. Because I truly have no idea.
Sabalenka def Gauff in the final

by Suliso Too conventional... :D

by ti-amie No one thinks Sabalenka will melt down under the pressure?

by ponchi101 I don't think Ostapenko can play 6 matches without having one in which people in the third row are ducking for their lives.
She did it once at RG, I know. But on these courts, that is tough.

I am no in the camp that believes Aryna melts under pressure. I think she can deliver.

by ti-amie I don't think Penko will win it all.

I think Keys peaked today.

I saw most of the Vondrousova/Stearns match and I guess the part where she was being troubled by her shoulder and/or neck happened when I dozed off.

There is now a group of players being called "disruptors" in the WTA. Penko, Giorgi, Keys (eh) and PeakPetra.

by ti-amie Reem Abulleil 🤖
@ReemAbulleil@sportsbots.xyz
Zheng Qinwen: Right now I feel just super happy and excited to play in a big stadium and have a really good performance today. Ons is a fantastic player, really tough to beat, has lots of variation in her game. That was a really impressive win for me today.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 7:56 pm I don't think Ostapenko can play 6 matches without having one in which people in the third row are ducking for their lives.
She did it once at RG, I know. But on these courts, that is tough.

I am no in the camp that believes Aryna melts under pressure. I think she can deliver.
I also don't see Ostapenko zoning for three more matches. Also, she isn't in top shape. We don't talk about it, but she's clearly not, and she could get tired in a physical daytime match. Then might go for (even) more to end points quickly and lose accuracy.

Aryna is more likely to deliver than choke this time. She could just get outplayed, but I doubt it. I think she'll win the title unless Gauff plays out of her mind.

Coco will have a good strategy for Ostapenko. She comes in more than Iga.

Muchova sneaking through?

by ashkor87
meganfernandez wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 6:09 pm
nelslus wrote:

Sabalenka def Gauff in the final

Ostapenko vs QZ finals for me! Anything is possible! The class players left are Sabalenka and Vondrousova..V appears to be struggling euth a niggle..I agree, no reason why Sabalenka should not win. She has been quietly impressive...
What is the story re Pegula? Anyone have any inside scoop? She didn't look herself out there...I thought it was the heat, but P is used to hest?

by JTContinental It's hard for me to ascertain Sabalenka's form because she hasn't really played anyone good yet.

by ponchi101
meganfernandez wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:47 pm ...

I also don't see Ostapenko zoning for three more matches. Also, she isn't in top shape. We don't talk about it, but she's clearly not, and she could get tired in a physical daytime match. Then might go for (even) more to end points quickly and lose accuracy.

Aryna is more likely to deliver than choke this time. She could just get outplayed, but I doubt it. I think she'll win the title unless Gauff plays out of her mind.

Coco will have a good strategy for Ostapenko. She comes in more than Iga.

Muchova sneaking through?
How I would love that!

by ti-amie
JTContinental wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 12:21 am It's hard for me to ascertain Sabalenka's form because she hasn't really played anyone good yet.
She rolled over Kasatkina without too much trouble.

by jazzyg I like Sabalenka to win it but would not bet a dime on it.

Her destruction of Kasatkina was a certainty before they stepped on the court. That serve vs.that return spelled disaster for K.

by ponchi101 Aren't we being selective?
Wimbledon champ Marketa played "nobody" today. She dropped a set.
Rybakina played perennial "ranked in the 40's" Sorana. She lost.
Aryna has played "nobody", and she has handled them with the scores you should beat those players by. Can't ask her for more.

by jazzyg You're right, but that still does not provide an indication of how she will play when she is challenged.

I think she will win, but I'm not confident about it.

by meganfernandez
jazzyg wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:08 am You're right, but that still does not provide an indication of how she will play when she is challenged.

I think she will win, but I'm not confident about it.
I think she will play well. She has talked about an improved calmness on court when she is struggling, and it has shown in her results this year. I think she has the experience now to come through. For me, she is the heavy favorite. But I have always believed in her more than most people. I figured she would get a Slam, probably a few. A lot of people said never, ever, ever, too shaky. Still saying that about her.

by jazzyg She looked slower than normal to me all summer, both on grass and hard courts. I have not seen her much at all here.

Earlier this year I posted she had a shot at winning the grand slam, and people rightly took issue with that, so I'm certainly not a Sabalenka doubter. But her form has not been good enough for me to declare her a heavy favorite.

by ashkor87 Looking forward to the best offense (Ostapenko) versus the best defense (Gauff) ..should be a great match...I would bet on Ostapenko, she is simply a higher class player,but you never know.

by meganfernandez
ashkor87 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 5:40 am Looking forward to the best offense (Ostapenko) versus the best defense (Gauff) ..should be a great match...I would bet on Ostapenko, she is simply a higher class player,but you never know.

Heat could be a problem for Ostapenko? Coco loves it. I think she'll get enough balls back and Ostapenko will miss enough. And BG will have the perfect strategy. Hope it's a good match.

by JTContinental
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:01 am Aren't we being selective?
Wimbledon champ Marketa played "nobody" today. She dropped a set.
Rybakina played perennial "ranked in the 40's" Sorana. She lost.
Aryna has played "nobody", and she has handled them with the scores you should beat those players by. Can't ask her for more.
True, but not really an indicator of her form to watch her beat Zanevska, Burrage, and Burel. She was kind of a mystery during the hardcourt season.

by ashkor87 QZ vesus Sabalenka will be a good match but believers in head to head (like me) will expect Sabalenka to win - she won the last two they played, both on hard couts.. QZ won the earlier matches, a couple years ago.. Sabalenka is a much better player now - of course, both are.

by texasniteowl
ashkor87 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:04 am QZ vesus Sabalenka will be a good match but believers in head to head (like me) will expect Sabalenka to win - she won the last two they played, both on hard couts.. QZ won the earlier matches, a couple years ago.. Sabalenka is a much better player now - of course, both are.
I haven't seen QZ play before and only saw a tiny tiny bit of her play against Jabeur. Her serve was not impressive from what I saw and Sabalenka should have a lot of chances to tee off on it.

by ashkor87 Watson says Coco 64% likelihood of win...as usual, A bit high...I would say it is almost 50-50..I would say 48% Coco.

by ashkor87 Coco flying all over the court...her feet dont even seem to touch the ground...unbelievable defense...ostapenko's best shots are coming back....

by meganfernandez
ashkor87 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 4:32 pm Coco flying all over the court...her feet dont even seem to touch the ground...unbelievable defense...ostapenko's best shots are coming back....
Want to move the discussion to the Day 9 thread instead of the general thread?

by ashkor87
meganfernandez wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 4:39 pm
ashkor87 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 4:32 pm Coco flying all over the court...her feet dont even seem to touch the ground...unbelievable defense...ostapenko's best shots are coming back....
Want to move the discussion to the Day 9 thread instead of the general thread?
Problem is I am almost 12 hours ahead of you so can't keep the days straight in my head..what is day 9? And so on...

by JTContinental
texasniteowl wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 2:48 pm
ashkor87 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:04 am QZ vesus Sabalenka will be a good match but believers in head to head (like me) will expect Sabalenka to win - she won the last two they played, both on hard couts.. QZ won the earlier matches, a couple years ago.. Sabalenka is a much better player now - of course, both are.
I haven't seen QZ play before and only saw a tiny tiny bit of her play against Jabeur. Her serve was not impressive from what I saw and Sabalenka should have a lot of chances to tee off on it.
She has such a weird service motion that I don't know how her coaches have let her get away with it.

by ti-amie

by ponchi101
JTContinental wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:08 pm
She has such a weird service motion that I don't know how her coaches have let her get away with it.
C'mon, it's not THAT weird. I would not call it "Czech Republic" school of serving, but it is not also Elena Dementieva/Sara Errani weird.

by JTContinental
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:12 pm
JTContinental wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:08 pm

C'mon, it's not THAT weird. I would not call it "Czech Republic" school of serving, but it is not also Elena Dementieva/Sara Errani weird.
Maybe she changed it up, then? Earlier this summer, she was doing a full stop in the middle of her motion.

by JTContinental I didn't notice that Vondrousova had pulled out of the doubles with an arm injury. Hopefully just precautionary.

by Owendonovan
ti-amie wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:45 pm
Or, you just kinda sucked today. S'alright, wasn't't the first time, and won't be the last.

by ashkor87 I just love to watch Muchova..such a complete player, so smooth..reminds me of Federer

by ponchi101 Nope. Take away the 2H BH and she plays A LOT like Mandlikova. As you say, as smooth as it gets.
With Elena on a bit of a slump, I am rooting for Karo to get this.

by JTContinental
Owendonovan wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:52 am
ti-amie wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:45 pm
Or, you just kinda sucked today. S'alright, wasn't't the first time, and won't be the last.
Right? Coco played a full doubles match yesterday, too.

by ashkor87
ponchi101 wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 3:15 am Nope. Take away the 2H BH and she plays A LOT like Mandlikova. As you say, as smooth as it gets.
With Elena on a bit of a slump, I am rooting for Karo to get this.
A bit like Barty too...

by Tolulops
ashkor87 wrote:QZ vesus Sabalenka will be a good match but believers in head to head (like me) will expect Sabalenka to win - she won the last two they played, both on hard couts.. QZ won the earlier matches, a couple years ago.. Sabalenka is a much better player now - of course, both are.
Where'd you see this H2H? Cause everywhere I look it says this is their first meeting.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

by skatingfan
Tolulops wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:50 am
ashkor87 wrote:QZ vesus Sabalenka will be a good match but believers in head to head (like me) will expect Sabalenka to win - she won the last two they played, both on hard couts.. QZ won the earlier matches, a couple years ago.. Sabalenka is a much better player now - of course, both are.
Where'd you see this H2H? Cause everywhere I look it says this is their first meeting.
I think that ashkor87 was looking at the wrong Zheng.

by ashkor87
skatingfan wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:17 am
Tolulops wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:50 am
I think that ashkor87 was looking at the wrong Zheng.
Yes, you are right...

by ashkor87 Watson says Saba 70, Coco 73 %...Watson has been doing better lately, so I am disinclined to demur too strongly but 73 seems a bit high ..60 would be closer...

by ponchi101 Our picks were not that bad. Aryna and Coco were out top choices, and they are in the semis. Ms. Other is represented by Maddie. We only missed Karo, whom we gave 0 points.
TATson works well, too! ;)

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote:Our picks were not that bad. Aryna and Coco were out top choices, and they are in the semis. Ms. Other is represented by Maddie. We only missed Karo, whom we gave 0 points.
TATson works well, too! ;)
Sad we didn’t pick Karo given that she made the Cincy final. But she’s injury-prone.

by ashkor87 Muchova Gauff match full of errors...nervy, poor quality first set

by ponchi101 4/12 Coco, 3/17 Muchova, W/UE. Yep, this is not a sterling match.

by ashkor87 One of the protestors had glued his bare feet to the floor so security couldn't physically remove him! Commitment!!

by ashkor87 Coco keeps hitting short forehands but Muchova letting her get away with it, not moving forward or anything

by ashkor87 Truly pathetic performance by Muchova

by Owendonovan
ashkor87 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:59 am One of the protestors had glued his bare feet to the floor so security couldn't physically remove him! Commitment!!
He should have paid for a better seat for better exposure.

by ti-amie
Owendonovan wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 1:47 am
ashkor87 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:59 am One of the protestors had glued his bare feet to the floor so security couldn't physically remove him! Commitment!!
At this stage of the tournament every seat in Ashe is expensive, even the nosebleeds.

by JTContinental That was not a great match, but it was exciting.

by ashkor87
Only fat cat climate change deniers can afford those!

by ti-amie

She also tossed her racquet at one point.

by ti-amie
ashkor87 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:16 am
Only fat cat climate change deniers can afford those!
The upper deck in Ashe during the quarters, semis and finals are not cheap.

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie